News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BHoover

Re: Us Open at Merion, what to expect?
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 07:47:41 PM »
I hope it's a slog. Although I wouldn't want to watch the pros struggle week-in, week-out, once per year I like to see them struggle.

archie_struthers

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2013, 08:51:25 AM »
 :o ;D :D ;)

After watching the Trevino ...Nicklaus match last night I'm taking the over under par line to -7. 

Jay Flemma

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2013, 10:49:49 AM »
I'm gonna take Webb Simpson to repeat!  I'll also betchya Tim Clark, Freddie Jacobsen, Tiger, Furyk, and Zach Johnson play well.  I think Phil phlails...here at least.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

John Shimony

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2013, 12:48:07 PM »
In Philly we just had a few moist days and one full day of rain.  And it's going to be near 90 degrees for the next couple of days.  Great rough growing weather as if they need any more.
John Shimony
Philadelphia, PA

Jay Flemma

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2013, 09:44:09 PM »
I'll take 7-under
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

John Kirk

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2013, 01:07:42 AM »
Out of curiosity, what is the expected length of primary rough for the tournament?  Are we going back to the 5-6" stuff we saw regularly until a few years ago.

I played Merion in May seven or eight years ago.  The rough was wet and seemed to average about 5", though in some places, like protecting the doglegs on #10 and #14, it was 8-10", and a lost ball was probable.

archie_struthers

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2013, 06:24:40 AM »
 ??? ;D ???

Jay, you can't take -7 if that's the line , lol!   

ChipOat

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2013, 06:40:44 PM »
IT DEPENDS ON THE WEATHER!!

JSlonis

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2013, 07:58:39 PM »
Chip,

You mentioned in this thread that you thought the work done to the 12th & 15th greens was necessary, do you like the finished products?

Jay Flemma

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2013, 10:02:11 AM »
Archie, I can take whatever score I want! :P  First you said the over/under was 8, then 7...make up your mind!  I'll still take 7-under.  For your purposes, if I have to choose higher or lower, fine...six-under.

Your betting rules are weirder than Tiger's drop rules:):)

John Shimony

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2013, 11:29:27 AM »
The winning score will be -3 if it's played in nice weather.  I start with even par because it's the US Open then I subtract three shots for the course having a few more short holes than a normal US Open course.  It's just that easy.  No research was done by me to judge the normal amount of "short" holes on a US Open course.  Just a guess.  I consider the short holes at Merion to be 1, 7, 8, 10, 11, 15.   
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 11:33:06 AM by John Shimony »
John Shimony
Philadelphia, PA

William_G

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2013, 01:19:53 PM »
Lots of long irons and hybrids off the tees.
It's all about the golf!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2013, 02:57:23 PM »
Right now, everything is firm and fast in Philly.  Almost perfect.

Paul Gray

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2013, 05:07:58 PM »
I just hope the rough isn't too penal.

Merion has sparked a little more interest in the US Open over here than has been the case for a while now. That's been my experience anyway.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Joe Bausch

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2013, 05:13:25 PM »
Right now, everything is firm and fast in Philly.  Almost perfect.

Well, Danno, I'm not quite sure I would say f&f quite yet, but if we can get 17 straight days of the hot and no rain weather like the last few days, we'll be golden.  And if that does happen, I'll look for a star in the east.  ;-)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2013, 05:57:51 PM »
If their rough is growing like it is at  my course, thirty minutes away, you may lose shorter spectators. Lots of rain due this coming Monday followed by more heat. This will be something to watch.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

ChipOat

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2013, 09:32:55 PM »
JSlonis,

Yes, I do.

Chip

P.S.  In fact, I have been vocal about it on several threads, including one that I started sometime last Autumn.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 08:04:57 AM by ChipOat »

archie_struthers

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2013, 07:08:21 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Jay , that's why they didn't let amateurs have sports betting here  in NJ.   Lol

Dan Herrmann

Mark Provenzano

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2013, 03:51:26 PM »
I wouldn't want to miss the first cut here (8th fairway.)

mike_malone

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2013, 07:40:01 PM »
 My guess is that most of the  5 irons from #8 tee wiil find the fairway :)
AKA Mayday

Matthew Rose

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2013, 09:02:21 PM »
You know what? Bring it on. These guys aren't hitting any drivers at Muirfield Village either.

I think the thing I'm looking forward to most is seeing a couple of train wrecks on #13, the tiny par-three.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2013, 05:16:57 AM »
Mark,
     That photo of the rough on the right side of 8 is worth a thousand words.  My guess is they will hold off on the mower and wait to see what happens with the weather this next 10 days. Looks like wet, and then a little cooler over the upcoming week. Maybe they cut off the seed heads next week?

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2013, 06:20:50 AM »
I am surprised that the out of bounds fence was placed here on 14 and 15:

I thought that would be open space between the course and the houses as it was in 1981. It also shrinks the course just a little bit more.

The tees are so stretched that is will be impossible to follow anyone more than a couple of holes is my guess and was also stated in the NY Times video.

It will be fun to watch on TV.

JSlonis

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2013, 01:21:02 PM »
Mike,

I thought that fence along 14 & 15 was just temporary to help protect against any vandalism & was to be removed before the tournament starts. It was put up when the always kind & polite local Unions were having an issue.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back