News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Fagerli

Re: Western North Carolina Golf
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2013, 06:32:15 AM »
Roaring Gap is real good and walkable. Hasnt been mentioned yet.  Sporty course that is high up on the fun scale.
I agree! Such fun to play.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2013, 07:01:43 AM »
Olde Beau is your typical mountain walk.

I had 70 yds on one green approach. Hit a full 7 iron. It almost disappeared into the blue before coming down right in the middle of the green. Then I got out my climbing gear ...........

I love mountain golf, as has been told.

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2013, 07:17:28 PM »
Olde Beau is your typical mountain walk.

I had 70 yds on one green approach. Hit a full 7 iron. It almost disappeared into the blue before coming down right in the middle of the green. Then I got out my climbing gear ...........

I love mountain golf, as has been told.

Doug

Doug,

Did you actually walk Olde Beau?

Chris

Doug Ralston

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2013, 08:00:41 PM »
Chris;

ROFL!! Of course I was being facetous. No one is likely to do it, except just to prove they can.

Chris, what I liked about Olde Beau was that there was like 1500 yds of total elevation change within the holes, and the direction of that change is almost even. Too many courses only have 'drop' holes. I think some good uphill holes not only add character, but allow you to play on a tighter [say smaller] track.

The hole I was describing was VERY uphill at the end, and I was laying kind of miraculously on that steep upgrade [it normally would roll back, but it caught. I was fearful if I used to elevated a club, I would be at risk from my own golf ball.  :)

Olde Beau was a lot of laughs.

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2013, 09:16:47 PM »
Chris;

ROFL!! Of course I was being facetous. No one is likely to do it, except just to prove they can.

Chris, what I liked about Olde Beau was that there was like 1500 yds of total elevation change within the holes, and the direction of that change is almost even. Too many courses only have 'drop' holes. I think some good uphill holes not only add character, but allow you to play on a tighter [say smaller] track.

The hole I was describing was VERY uphill at the end, and I was laying kind of miraculously on that steep upgrade [it normally would roll back, but it caught. I was fearful if I used to elevated a club, I would be at risk from my own golf ball.  :)

Doug

The view of the Mitchell River valley from behind the green of the Pink Floyd hole (it has a wall) is spectacular. Best thing I can say about Olde Beau.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2013, 11:27:45 PM »
Chris;

Doug

Doug,

They sure do have uphill holes at Olde Beau, 9th and 16th come to mind.  I am glad to hear you did not walk Olde Beau, that would fall under only walking to prove a point!

Chris

Carl Johnson

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2013, 09:27:45 PM »
Anyone know anything about the two courses at Rumbling Bald (Lake Lure area)?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 06:18:37 PM by Carl Johnson »

Carl Johnson

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 06:19:30 PM »
And, what about Hendersonville CC, an old Ross course?  I've never played it, but shouldn't it be in the conversation?  I've heard from a reliable source that Kris Spence is on the record saying HCC has one of the two most original sets of Donald Ross greens still in existence.  [Don't know what he thinks the other one is.] Shouldn't that count for something?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:06:00 PM by Carl Johnson »

JC Jones

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 08:32:30 PM »
I had the pleasure of playing Hendersonville CC with Mark Pritchett and Jamey Bryan a couple of years ago and I thought it was fantastic.  With a Kris Spence renovation it could be REALLY good.  A great routing with a very interesting set of greens.  I definitely want to play it again.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back