News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Parker Reeves

Western North Carolina Golf
« on: May 14, 2013, 09:20:53 PM »
Growing up in the mountains of NC, I was fortunate to be able to spend my childhood in what I consider the most beautiful place in the world.  Golf-wise, the Piedmont region seems to get the most press (Greensboro, Pinehurst, Raleigh, etc.) but I think the mountains of North Carolina might be one of the best golf destinations in the country.  In the south western area we have Wade Hampton (Tom Fazio), Mountaintop (Tom Fazio), Highlands CC (Donald Ross - Bobby Jones spent lots of time here), Lake Toxaway (Kris Spence), Balsam Mountain Preserve (Arnold Palmer), Biltmore Forest (Donald Ross), Champion Hills (Tom Fazio - his home course), The Cliffs at Walnut Cove (Jack Nicklaus), and a few other really nice places.  I grew up playing Waynesville Country Club (Donald Ross designed 9 holes here) and Laurel Ridge (Bob Cupp) which are fun, semi-private courses.  Further north you run into Grandfather Mountain (Ellis Maples), Hound Ears (George Cobb), Elk River (Jack Nicklaus), Diamond Creek (Tom Fazio), Linville Golf Club (Donald Ross), Linville Ridge (George Cobb/Bobby Weed), Blowing Rock (Seth Raynor - his only work in NC), and Boone Golf Club (Ellis Maples).

I'd love to hear any stories you all have on playing any of these courses…your experiences, likes/dislikes, etc.  
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:00:00 PM by Parker Reeves »

Bill_McBride

Re: Western North Carolina Golf
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 09:41:58 PM »
Parker, how many of those courses are walkable?  I enjoyed playing the CC of Sapphire Valley in Cashiers, a truly enjoyable walk.

The front nine at Maggie Valley is very walkable, the back requires a Sherpa to walk.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 09:46:32 PM »
I once played Elk River, Linville, and Linville Ridge in one day.  Played all 3 courses in a total of about 7 1/2 hours.  Now that was a good day!  I was pleasantly surprised by Bobby Weed's redo of Linville Ridge.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Parker Reeves

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 09:47:17 PM »
Bill,

I haven't played all of the courses but I would assume that most of the ones that I haven't been to yet would not be extremely walk-friendly.  The mountains make getting around fairly tough.  Waynesville, Biltmore Forest, and The Cliffs are pretty kind to walkers.  The rest will probably be a cart ride.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 09:49:57 PM »
Bill:

Grandfather is an a very nice walk.  I walk the course 90% of the time (only ride when others in the group can't walk).

Old Linville certainly walkable but more strenuous than Grandfather, IMO.

Diamond Creek is a tough walk...but can be done...same for Wade Hampton.

Boone Golf Club is a fairly easy walk as is Biltmore Forest

Linville Ridge...sherpa.  Champion Hills ...sherpa.  Mountaintop...sherpa.  

Just my opinions,

Bart

Bart Bradley

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 09:50:46 PM »
Bill,

I haven't played all of the courses but I would assume that most of the ones that I haven't been to yet would not be extremely walk-friendly.  The mountains make getting around fairly tough.  Waynesville, Biltmore Forest, and The Cliffs are pretty kind to walkers.  The rest will probably be a cart ride.

Parker, No.

See above.

Bart

Parker Reeves

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 09:58:03 PM »
Bart,

Thanks for the help.  I've played Champion Hills (definitely a ride), I have been to (but not played) Wade Hampton, but wasn't sure about its walkability.  For some reason, I seem to remember something relating to the ability to walk Grandfather, I'm glad you enlightened us…it looks great!  Laurel Ridge is definitely a cart as is Balsam Mountain.

mike_beene

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 10:40:26 PM »
Parker,my i laws used to love in Little Switzerland and have now moved to Brevard.I used to go over to Mount Mitchell and always walked it.What a beautiful place with the river going through.Played a miserable round at Mountain Air .Way over the top.Lately been playing at the Cliffs south of Asheville down toward Clemson.Blue Ridge Parkway is a great place.

Ed Oden

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 10:57:22 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised by Bobby Weed's redo of Linville Ridge.

Cory, seriously?  Nothing against Weed's work, since there really isn't anything that can be done with that piece of property.  If ever there were a site where a golf course should not exist, it is Linville Ridge.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 11:56:48 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised by Bobby Weed's redo of Linville Ridge.

Cory, seriously?  Nothing against Weed's work, since there really isn't anything that can be done with that piece of property.  If ever there were a site where a golf course should not exist, it is Linville Ridge.

AGREED. Not sue why but I had thought Fazio did the course at LR.

Ed Oden

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 12:20:50 AM »
Greg, Linville Ridge is a George Cobb design.  I think Weed's redo was pretty much limited to the bunkers.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 12:41:04 AM »
Greg, Linville Ridge is a George Cobb design.  I think Weed's redo was pretty much limited to the bunkers.

I have no idea where I got Fazio for LR. All I know is I played every course in the area minus LR and would likely do the same if I were to return to the area for a visit. Then again one could play GGCC over and over and be happy.   

Cory Lewis

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 06:29:12 AM »
Wow, strong words!  I had very low expectations for Linville Ridge and actually found myself having fun playing the course.  Some of Weed's bunkering was just plain strange but for what it is, a mountain course on a severe piece of property, I thought it was pretty good.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 07:26:19 AM »
I would say Elk River is walker friendly, but it has been decades since I played it. I like Mt Mitchell too. 12-15 are so pretty.  I am not so big on the management though.
Grandfather is a fantastic place. Played it before during and after a rain storm and wouldn't have thought of quitting.
Elk River was the beginning of the end of my first marriage so Inhave fond memories of it too. :)

hhuffines

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 09:42:17 AM »
So where does Bright's Creek stand in this grouping?  As a Fazio, does it compare with Mountaintop?

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 10:06:54 AM »
Parker - my grandfather had a house in Highlands, and I have loved the mountains of western NC my entire life.  All the Donald Ross courses listed are, of course, walkable.  The modern courses, not so much.  Although Wade Hampton is definitely walkable. 

For my money, Highlands CC is one of the greatest unranked courses in America.  Incredibly scenic.  Full of interesting, strategic holes.  Some of the best par-3s on the planet.  The Bobby Jones history.  The all-world #10, which architects visit to this day for inspiration.  I also love the small housing community built around the course.  Highlands CC reminds you why you fell for golf in the first place.

Wade Hampton is another gem.  One of Fazio's top 5 for sure.  I've played virtually everything in the Highlands-Cashiers area, and could easily see myself spending more and more time in western NC in my future golden years.

Ed Oden

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 10:22:50 AM »
Wow, strong words!  I had very low expectations for Linville Ridge and actually found myself having fun playing the course.  Some of Weed's bunkering was just plain strange but for what it is, a mountain course on a severe piece of property, I thought it was pretty good.

Cory, my apologies, probably too strong on my part.  I wasn't suggesting that there is anything more that Cobb or Weed could have done at Linville Ridge.  Rather, in my opinion, the site (particularly the back 9) is just too severe for anyone to produce a golf course of any meaningful quality.  So perhaps your low expectations argument works.  For what it's worth, I used to own a house at Linville Ridge.  It is a spectacular place which I absolutely love.  I truly miss it.  However, I still can't escape the feeling that it really isn't suitable for a golf course.  

Austin Wade

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 02:01:40 PM »
I spent a short week up in the Waynesville area playing golf late last year, and truly enjoyed it.  We played the 3 9's at Waynesville, Sequoyah, Maggie Valley, the Asheville Muni, and Reems Creek.  We enjoyed everycourse in its own way. 

I would say all but Sequoyah were walkable, although I was glad I was riding.  The muni wouldn't be a terrible walk, but the back 9 certainly had some hills. Ross's Caarolina 9 at Waynesville was very walkable, the other 2 9's would be a struggle.  Like Bill said the front at Maggie Valley is very walkable, but the back is quite mountainous.  Reems creek was pretty walkable but would have a few climbs that would have you huffing and descents that would have you chasing your carts.

Greg Holland

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 09:27:31 PM »
Not quite as far West, but Mimosa Hills should be on this list too.

Ed Oden

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2013, 12:09:51 AM »
So where does Bright's Creek stand in this grouping?  As a Fazio, does it compare with Mountaintop?

Hart, I generally like Bright's Creek.  Overall, it is a very solid golf course.  Much more open than Mountaintop or Wade Hampton.  It has some really good holes and a few that I'm not so fond of, particularly some that have way too many bunkers for my taste.  You should go see it.  Maybe we could meet there for a round.  That being said, the Fazio competition in western NC is very strong.  Personally, I rank them Diamond Creek, Wade Hampton, Mountaintop and Bright's Creek.  That's more a testament to the quality of the others than a slight against Bright's Creek.

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 10:09:47 AM »
Not quite as far West, but Mimosa Hills should be on this list too.

A fine, fine golf course. The club is struggling as are most clubs in the historically textile and furniture towns. Morganton NC is a nice place though and the mental hospital there helps the economy.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 10:44:29 AM »
I think the question needs to be--Are these good courses compared to other mountain courses, or are they really good courses unto  themeselves?  I have played a few of them and I would think that the former question is the right one.  Unfortunately, it seems to me, that mountain courses need to be considererd in a class to themselves, since they inherently have major drawbacks, like lack of walkability, etc.  I have never played a mountain course that I would consider to be truly great compared to the whole universe of courses.  Too harsh?

Bart Bradley

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2013, 10:51:24 AM »
Jim:

It depends which ones you've played.  Can you rank your list of mountain courses??

Bart

hhuffines

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2013, 04:14:26 PM »
Ed, thanks for your thoughts on Bright's Creek!  It sure looks nice in photos but is rarely discussed around here... Lets tee it up sometime soon!

John Shimp

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2013, 09:36:32 PM »
Roaring Gap is real good and walkable. Hasnt been mentioned yet.  Sporty course that is high up on the fun scale.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back