News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

Englewood, NJ
« on: October 09, 2006, 04:45:26 PM »
Can anyone help me with some research on Englewood, NJ the 1909 US Open venue. I am aware from Patty Moran at the USGA Library the course made way for the I80 near the George Washington Bridge but can you tell me when the course closed and what happened to the members. Did they move lock stock to a new property or were they integrated into other local clubs?? My interest stems from the upcoming anniversary of the 1909 British Open at my beloved Royal Cinque Ports.

By the way according to the previous Lord Ward of the Cinque Ports the late Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother it's Cinque as in kitchen sink not Cinque as in the French five. Whilst she didn't wish to be regarded as the expert, Her Majesty's view was agreed and adopted by the club.

Cave Nil Vino

Patrick_Mucci

Re:Englewood, NJ
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 08:37:53 PM »
Mark,

The course survived construction of I-80.

A tunnel under I-80 allowed members to continue to play the golf course post construction.

The land became very valueable and a large condo community now occupies it.

The club had a number of show business personalities like Buddy Hacket, Corbett Monica and others.

It also had other elements that could be best described as "associates".

It was on a property that sloped east to west.

I would imagine some of the NLE books would have info on it.

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 10:41:59 PM »
Pat-

Is this condo community the prominent one just north of 80, about a mile and a half--maybe two miles before the GWB?  Right before that large, arched overpass that crosses 80 when heading towards the GWB--I think the condos are bluish-white in color--you can see it very well from 80.  
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 01:25:15 PM »
Doug:

That's right.

As you ascent the last hill on I-95 (about a mile from the GWB) you can see condos you mentioned. The course did exactly what Pat mentioned -- sold for the $$ available.

Ed Oden

Re: Englewood, NJ
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 12:00:30 AM »
Here is a June 3, 1953 aerial of the NLE Englewood CC...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back