News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Evagues

Womens Open
« on: May 07, 2013, 07:00:39 AM »
I'm sure it was discussed but couldn't find it. Why are they starting on the second hole at Sebonack?
Be the ball

Jud_T

Re: Womens Open
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 08:14:40 AM »
By the way, this would be a great event to attend for anyone in the area.  The practice rounds or early competition rounds would be a great way to see the course and some really good golf.  Much more manageable than a men's pro event in terms of crowd size.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 12:17:12 AM »

I'm sure it was discussed but couldn't find it.

Why are they starting on the second hole at Sebonack?

TV ?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 08:31:55 AM »
I'm sure it was discussed but couldn't find it. Why are they starting on the second hole at Sebonack?

I haven't been told directly -- no one asked me if I was ok with the change -- but I suspect the reason is to allow more space around the 18th green for grandstands.  Golfers going from #1 green to #2 tee go right past the 18th green now, which would be a traffic snarl with galleries and grandstands ... by getting the traffic from #1 headed to #10 instead, they have room for big grandstands beside #2 tee (now the opening hole), and if they play #2 shorter, that will give more room to put grandstands on the back tees for #2.

It makes sense from a gallery perspective; we never once discussed the possibility of a pro tournament or the logistics for one when designing the course.  However, the 2nd hole is one of the hardest golf holes anywhere, and #2 and #3 will make a brutal start for the Open field.

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 09:58:07 AM »
Thanks Tom. It is nice to get the answer from THE reputable source.  The USGA field office said it would improve pace of play.
Be the ball

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 10:57:53 AM »
Thanks Tom. It is nice to get the answer from THE reputable source.  The USGA field office said it would improve pace of play.

LOL. The only way to get the women to improve their pace of play is to cancel the tournament.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 12:07:30 PM »
Tom Doak,

No question that the views from the clubhouse to the 18th green and the slope leading from # 18 green to the clubhouse are ideal gallery spots.

But, when the leaders get to # 18 green, all the golfers would have cleared the first hole 3-4 hours earlier.

The trek from # 1 green to # 10 tee is considerable.
I wonder if they'll have carts ferrying the contestants.

If Mother Nature co-operated, I have no doubt that I could make the winning score anything from 288 to 300 to higher.

Sebonack can be one difficult golf course, especially at medal play with wind.

I'm anxious to see how they set the course up and at what speed they'll have the greens.
I'd be surprised if they go much above 10.

I just hope the cameras pick up the elevation changes and contours.

As to having the first two holes as # 2 and # 3, I can see someone just going into the clubhouse, right from the 3rd green.
Those two holes can be round ruiners.

I just hope that you get the on-air credit you deserve for the design.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 03:43:45 PM »
Why wouldn't they just flip the nines and use 10 tee as the first hole. As I remember there is plenty of room around the 9th green for grandstands and number 10 plays well as an opener...plus number eight would be a good 17th over water - seems better than using number 1 as the finishing hole to me, but then that is merely an opinion! Having been lucky enough to play several rounds there I am looking forward to seeing the course on tv.
ps. Starting on number 2 could make for a pleasant bogey, bogey, bogey start if the tees are far enough back, the wind is up and the pins are tucked!!!!!
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 03:50:37 PM »
The New York Newsday wrote an article several months ago saying the reason was that they wanted 1 to play as a drive able par 4, and did not want to start the round on a drive able 4. That being said, I am sure Tom's reasons were considered as well.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 04:00:05 PM »
Why wouldn't they just flip the nines and use 10 tee as the first hole. As I remember there is plenty of room around the 9th green for grandstands and number 10 plays well as an opener...plus number eight would be a good 17th over water - seems better than using number 1 as the finishing hole to me, but then that is merely an opinion! Having been lucky enough to play several rounds there I am looking forward to seeing the course on tv.
ps. Starting on number 2 could make for a pleasant bogey, bogey, bogey start if the tees are far enough back, the wind is up and the pins are tucked!!!!!

Dean,

Under those conditions I can see a double, double, double start. ;D

Dean Stokes

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 04:10:15 PM »

Dean,

Under those conditions I can see a double, double, double start. ;D

I did not want to appear mean spirited Pat! I played number 2 downwind last time and had wedge in - double! That made number 3 into a gale - double. I think i had 8 iron into number three and three putted. Solid start after also 3 putting number one for a bogey ???

Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back