News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Connor Dougherty

1962 SI Article on Dick Wilson and RTJ Sr.
« on: May 07, 2013, 05:53:57 AM »
In the process of trying to find the Sports Illustrated article featuring our fearless leader (which I still haven't found!!!) I came across this 1962 article which featured excerpts from Dick Wilson and RTJ Sr. I thought it had a few interesting comments and was worthy of putting it up here.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1073966/1/index.htm

Wilson's comments on Augusta National are particularly interesting, as is their verbal jabbing and contrasting design philosophies.
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

BCrosby

Re: 1962 SI Article on Dick Wilson and RTJ Sr.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 09:30:48 AM »
Interesting stuff from the above-linked article:

"...Wilson can be as outspoken about golf courses, even the most admired ones. "All they've got up there," he says of the Augusta National, "is the Masters. They've done a fine job with that, but they don't really have much of a golf course. Number one, there's too much demand for putting on those big, rolling greens. A fellow can be playing real good, but if he doesn't have his putting touch he'll score very badly. It's scenic, and the short holes are fine—the 12th and the 16th are two of the best holes in golf—but the par 5s aren't par 5s, they're 4�s. Also the golf course never plays its length unless the weather is bad. If they played that tournament at any other time of year but spring you'd have awfully low scores.

" Oakmont? It's one of the most unattractive courses I've ever seen," Wilson says of the site of this year's U.S. Open. "It looks as if it had been built by an amateur. If I had it to rebuild, I'd take out all those sharp lines that don't conform to the surrounding countryside. That first hole, for instance, it's like hanging out a window. You just hit your shots straight out in front of you. Oakmont is like a girl in a wrong dress," he concluded, resorting to his favorite clich�.

Wilson feels there are only two truly great established golf courses in the U.S. They are Pine Valley in Clementon, N.J., designed by George Crump in 1920 and considered to be one of the most demanding courses in the world and Merion, just outside of Philadelphia, the surprisingly successful work of an amateur architect named Hugh Wilson (no relation). They both exemplify theories of golf-course building that Wilson feels are vitally important. Behind them Wilson would place the No. 2 course in Pinehurst, N.C. and Shinnecock in Southampton, N.Y.

"A golf course should look more vicious to the player than it actually is," he says. "It should inspire you, keep you alert. If you're playing over a sleepy-looking golf course, you're naturally going to fall asleep. Pine Valley is a good example of what I mean. If I had to pick any course in the world to play someone at match play I'd pick this one. It looks a lot scarier than it is. I'd just go along playing the course and let the other fellow scare himself right out of the match."

Merion, however, is the course that has most thoroughly influenced Dick Wilson's work, just as it did Bill Flynn's. It is not excessively long—6,700 yards—and there are only one or two potential disaster holes, but Merion requires intense thought and concentration all the way around, Wilson says.

"A golf course should require equal use of every aspect of the game, rather than make a disproportionate demand on one or two phases, such as driving or putting," says Wilson. Merion does this..."

Wilson seems to me to epitomize prevailing attitudes about gca during the 1950's and '60's, a period sometimes called the "Dark Ages". RTJ's comments in the piece are a bit more subtle, though I wonder if RTJ didn't succumb later in his career to the same tough guy approach to 'balanced' shot testing.

Bob

Bill Brightly

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 11:27:01 AM »
Excellent article, nice find!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 06:05:23 AM »
That's a terrific article.  You could never get most architects today to be so candid about other courses in print, or even over a drink.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 07:07:53 AM »
In the process of trying to find the Sports Illustrated article featuring our fearless leader (which I still haven't found!!!) I came across this 1962 article which featured excerpts from Dick Wilson and RTJ Sr. I thought it had a few interesting comments and was worthy of putting it up here.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1073966/1/index.htm

Wilson's comments on Augusta National are particularly interesting, as is their verbal jabbing and contrasting design philosophies.

I thought the 4th paragraph was very telling in terms of the direction that golf course architecture took, starting in the 60's.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 08:44:14 AM »
This article is the first reference I've ever seen to what design fees were in the 1960's ... it says they ranged from $20,000 to $50,000.

Just looked up an inflation calculator which says that a dollar in 1962 would buy $7.58 worth of stuff today [which is fairly shocking to consider in its own right].  That would put the high end of golf design fees at $350,000 to $400,000 in today's dollars.  Which explains a bit of their attitude toward mass production vs. my own.

P.S.  I have to take back what I said before ... I've heard Rees and RTJ Jr. picking at each other's work in exactly the same manner.  Now I know where they got that tendency!

Mike Policano

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 10:16:03 AM »
Connor,

Thanks for the post. I sent the article to my Green Committee. There were many takeaways but I was struck by two in particular.

One was the reference to golf's greatest construction boom (until then). It said 300 new courses would open in 1962. I never knew that many courses were being built at that time. I have always considers period from 1950-1980 to be the dark age of golf design. What were all those courses and where did they go?

The other takeaway was Dick Wilson's succinct description of why Merion is so good.

Cheers, Mike

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back