News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

The Merion Photo Thread
« on: May 13, 2013, 07:58:43 AM »
We already have a (few) thousand words on the course.  How about the pictures?  In anticipation of the U.S. Open being exactly one month from today, post your Merion photos.

To get things started:

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

JSlonis

Re: The Merion Photo Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 08:50:28 AM »
An overlay of the current US Open setup aerial would be eye opening. The contrast in width is amazing.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 09:01:12 AM »
I threw up a little in my mouth just thinking about what a current aerial would look like. Maybe B&W would reduce the shock?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

JSlonis

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 11:25:11 AM »
It's certainly not a stretch to say that many of the fairways in those great Black & Whites posted above are reduced by 50% now.

From what I've heard, there will be a re-expansion of the fairways after the Open. Thats good news.

I just love the golf course and with a good familiarity with it, I'm really excited to see how the field does this year. Due to technology, there is no doubt in my mind that the USGA has force fed a US Open setup upon this great course in order to protect their vision of a Championship test. In the short term, I hope it works and in the long term, I hope the course gets back to some assemblance of its original intended character.

ChipOat

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 11:50:22 AM »
Assuming these are from 1930?

Many interesting things to point out, but notice that the original 12th green is still in place and was being used as a practice green.  You can't see the original 13th hole, but it remained in use as a practice hole.  If you look hard enough in the bushes near the P&W railroad tracks, the the original tee box can still be found.

The 12th green had only a single bunker left by 1971 when it became the site of the one-and-only corporate tent (Philadelphia National Bank).  The original 13th green and tee box were no longer maintained after that.  It was a pretty good green - somewhat like #7 on the West Course in terms of contours.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 12:07:53 PM »
I haven't seen a recent aerial, but from being on the property, it seems like it's not just the fairways--seems like there are more trees on the current course, especially inside the course (i.e., not just on the perimeter).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back