News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ted Sturges

Gamechangers
« on: May 06, 2013, 02:56:43 PM »
In the history of golf course architecture, there have been architects who introduced something new at some point in history that changed things in the evolution of the craft.  I can think of a few, but I know there are many more.  I would like to identify more of these "gamechangers" and note what they did that was a departure from how things were done prior to their changing the game.

Some examples:

*For me, one of the first gamechangers was Willie Park, Jr.  He was the first architect of his time to depart from the geometric design style of straight lines and squarish greens in favor of more "natural" golf holes.  His first designs featured elevated tees and landing areas that were lower. This was a change that opened the eyes of others and I believe moved architecture in a different direction.

*Many of the designs of H.S. Colt are listed among the most admired courses in the world.  His talents for routing a golf course were as good as anyone who ever built a golf course.  Swinley Forest is one of the first courses ever routed basically through a forest of trees.  Most architects of that time wouldn't take on the burden of tree removal when a decent golf hole could be constructed on the treeless portion of the property.  Colt aimed to find the best holes on the property, even it it created a lot of extra work (tree removal) to accomplish this.  I believe this is also a change that opened the eyes of others and moved architecture in a new direction.

*A third game changer I submit is Pete Dye.  I could be wrong on this one (I'm sure T. Doak could clarify this), but I am unaware of any US based "modern era" golf architect  prior to Pete who saw the benefit of studying other courses as a productive exercise in developing a design style. Pete took several trips to the UK to study as he was developing his own design "style".  In the 50's and 60's in the US, designers seemed more inclined to impose their own will on the land and "signatures" were left (Robert Trent Jones, Sr. comes to mind with his elongated tees, bold but smooth lined bunkers, etc.) rather than "finding golf holes" on the property and creating natural looking hazards.  Tom Doak went on to elevate the "study approach" of the world's great golf courses in his architectural education, but I believe Pete was the father of that idea.

My question is....who are other "gamechangers"?  There are no doubt countless others who changed the craft with a timely innovative approach.

Please help me identify others.

TS

Sean_A

Re: Gamechangers
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 04:18:59 PM »
Ted

I would mention a few more things about Colt.  First, he really invented the blue print for the modern professional architect.  Nobody before Colt offered the all-in-one package the way he did and he was exclusive to the field in that he wasn't a club maker, pro golfer or green keeper.  Second, Colt created modern architecture by altering the land for his purposes.  One of his signature design traits is the plateau green.  Colt perfected this concept and it has carried directly through to this day. 

One other person I would mention is Stuart Paton.  I think his continued changes to Woking are an incredibly important link between 1800s architecture and today.  Bunker placement and green contours must have seemed as if from different world for an inland course.  I think this is really one of the biggest WHAT IF questions in golf design - what if Stuart Paton had designed even a handful of courses?

Ciao   
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 05:46:43 PM »
Charles Blair Macdonald has to be another, as he was the founder of Classic Golden Age golf in America I think.  Weren't most courses before NGLA more of the geometric school?

He also seems to have invented the idea of utilizing the important features of courses in Great Britain in designing his "template" holes in America.  
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 09:17:58 AM by Bill_McBride »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 06:26:15 PM »
Who took golf inland, off the linksland?

EDIT...

From The Golf Course, Cornish and Whitten

"Dozens of sorry inland courses built on impervious clay soils convinced most golf purists that only the ancient links could provide excellent golf.  But a few golf course prospectors were unconvinced and kept searching for suitable terrain."

"The 'fools' that did build courses in the heathlands became the most prominent golf architects of their day.  Four names, in particular, stand out: Willie Park, Jr., JF Abercromby, HS Colt, and W. Herbert Fowler.  Their prominence was due in part to their vision in recognizing the true potential of this unlikely terrain and in part to their ability to shape the land into splendid golf holes."

"And shape the land they did."

This was in the early 1900s.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 07:25:04 PM by Mac Plumart »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 08:16:06 PM »
Ted:

Nice thread.

I suspect Shadow Creek and Fazio may have been the first time that something was created from completely nothing.  Opening the way for other complete landscape transformations such as Whistling Straits, Calusa Pines, and Fancourt Links.

Bart

Mac Plumart

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 08:17:51 PM »
Didn't Jack Nicklaus have a big hand in elevated the maintenance standards of the average golf course.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 08:22:30 PM »
Ted:

Nice thread.

I suspect Shadow Creek and Fazio may have been the first time that something was created from completely nothing.  Opening the way for other complete landscape transformations such as Whistling Straits, Calusa Pines, and Fancourt Links.

Bart

The Lido was earlier.  Descriptions of how it was built - pumping soil slurry - are fascinating. 

Matthew Sander

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 11:12:10 PM »
I'm going to post my general question first so those that tire of reading my drivel don't miss it at the bottom of my post. What notable project was considered to be ground zero for the restoration movement? What club/architect first sought to reverse the effects of neglect or the intentional changes made to classic architecture?

I'm not speaking of clubs that have always had a grasp on their golden era architecture and have repeatedly made nips and tucks here and there to allow it to shine. I'm suggesting a club (or clubs) that had experienced a complete departure from the features and aesthetics used by the ODGs, and decided to return to the original classic architecture (even with some compensations for a more modern game).

In Bill Brightly's thread on Hackensack's restoration of their Road Hole, he briefly mentions the steps taken (well intentioned as they may have been) that led to the transformation of the club's golden age course to one that would be familiar to many, many golfers that came of age in the game from the 60s on...

"Hackensack might be viewed as a microcosm of what happened to many golf courses built by the ODG's in the States. Construction in the first quarter of the 20th century, removal of some features during the Great Depression (thanks, A.W. Tillinghast...) modernization in the 60's to look like a Robert Trent Jones course, add a thousand white pines in the early1970's to create separation from other holes (thanks Augusta,) bring in Rees Jones in the 90's to rebuild the collapsing sand faced bunkers Gordon put in, a major tree removal project started 10 years ago, and finally, a restoration to attempt to return as much as possible to our Macdonald-Raynor-Banks roots."

I think breaking through the trends of the 60s era courses made several architects gamechangers. Pete Dye, Tom Doak, etc... are often mentioned when discussing the move away from the formulaic look that had grown to dominate the golf landscape. Hell, I'm relatively young (35) and I know that I grew up with the mindset that a proper golf course looked like what you might find on a typical RTJ project. This isn't meant to be a criticism of RTJ's work or philosophy, just a suggestion that the look was commonplace and even strived for by many clubs that didn't fit the mold.

The reason I think the trend away from the mid century product is so important is that it has opened the eyes of many, to how interesting courses can be when the main goal is/was to take full advantage of the unique features of each course's property. Just look at the before and after differences in local (to me anyway  ;) ) courses such as Beverly and Flossmoor. Bunker improvements, green recapture, improved mowing lines all done in an attempt to return the course(s) to what once was, and they are no doubt better for it.

What is considered the seminal moment in the movement? The answer to that question probably includes several gamechangers.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 11:33:29 PM by Matthew Sander »

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 11:50:12 PM »
Prairie Dunes, Sand Hills and Bandon Dunes Resort (BD + PD)... destination, minimalism, and construction techniques (the latter two)

Gary Slatter

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 11:53:24 PM »
Ted, great thread, looking forward to all the comments.  

As far as "game changers" goes, wouldn't the first improved reel mowers be considered as the equipment that allowed the concept of "golf courses" with fairways etc. be a big game changer?   Elevated greens, hazard markers (red and yellow stakes) and better equipment (maintenance and golfer) also were game changers.   Medal play vs. match play must have been quite a game changer.     Many of the other mentions (Pete Dye, restorations) seem to be more "game preservers" than changers.   RTJ's long tees allowed players of various driving lengths to play the "same" hole vs. the modern multi t-decks which offer too many different looks at the hole, whereas RTJ let us all play the same challenges (sort of).  

I played today with a new Rocketball driver and it changed my game off the tee, now if I can only take advantage of the length.:-)
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Pat Burke

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 12:16:17 AM »
Didn't Jack Nicklaus have a big hand in elevated the maintenance standards of the average golf course.

I would probably argue that the developers who hired Nicklaus and the courses "he" designed,
which were difficult to maintain without huge budgets
helped elevate maintenance budgets more than standards

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 12:43:47 AM »
John Lowe - Principles of Golf Course Design
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 02:55:01 AM »
Auto-CAD

The steam shovel

Excavators... and Knucklebuckets

Josh Tarble

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 09:04:17 AM »
Prairie Dunes, Sand Hills and Bandon Dunes Resort (BD + PD)... destination, minimalism, and construction techniques (the latter two)

I was thinking specifically, Dick Youngscap.  Would any of these places happened without his commitment at Sand Hills?  Would Bandon have been created without Sand Hills and would have the second golden age have taken off without Coore and Crenshaw's work there?

Ted Sturges

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 10:17:50 AM »
I was wanting to try to pinpoint people more than "things" (CAD, steamshovel, etc.) as the gamechangers.  Matt Sander's question is an interesting one.  I don't know the answer.  Researching through the Donald Ross Society would likely provide answers as his courses seemed to enjoy a cache' that others of that era did not at one time.  I would guess that the beginning of that category of restoration efforts involved Ross courses.

I do think the group of Doak/Coore-Crenshaw/Hanse were gamechangers in that they went back to the old practice of "finding" holes rather than "building" holes (that and the concept of "minimalism").  I think their style definitely changed the game and opened the eyes of others.  For example, would Fazio's World Woods have been built in the style that it is, w/o the affect of the above group?  Not sure of the group above if one over the others should be credited with being that particular gamechanger...not sure.

TS

Terry Lavin

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 11:14:42 AM »

Add Crystal Downs to this list and you have a nice, long continuum.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Phil McDade

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 11:41:55 AM »
I'm going to post my general question first so those that tire of reading my drivel don't miss it at the bottom of my post. What notable project was considered to be ground zero for the restoration movement? What club/architect first sought to reverse the effects of neglect or the intentional changes made to classic architecture?

What is considered the seminal moment in the movement? The answer to that question probably includes several gamechangers.

Matt:

This is a really good question, and I have my own little theory: I've always thought the 1986 US Open at Shinnecock Hills was a seminal event for appreciating classic architecture, fast and firm conditions, and how a links-like experience (which is essentially what Bandon, Sand Hills, and others are selling) can be found on this side of the Atlantic. There was a big upsurge in interest in golf that year, thanks to Jack's memorable win at Augusta a few months earlier, and the course was something that few watching on TV had ever seen before, or even heard about.

I don't know that you can trace a direct line between the US Open that year and the minimalist works of Bandon, SHills and others (although maybe w/ Crenshaw, who was in contention for that Open and has always raved about Shinnecock; see this:
http://www.nytimes.com/1995/06/13/sports/sports-of-the-times-shinnecock-should-be-on-radio.html ), but I think that event opened the eyes to golf fans that there was a different way to play and appreciate golf.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 12:16:04 PM »
Golf carts

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 12:33:29 PM »
I think Mark Parsinen and Mike Keiser take a lot of credit for launching the concept of high quality links and faux-links golf.

Before Kingsbarnes and Bandon Dunes there were precious few new links courses.

They and their architects have inspired a new era of top 100 links across the world.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 01:23:36 PM »
Golf carts

+1

The acceptance of golf carts meant that courses no longer had to be routed with walking in mind. This clearly allowed many different properties to be made into viable courses.  It also allowed for the construction of housing courses with long green to tee stretches between the course corridors.

Niall C

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 02:38:54 PM »
Ted/Sean

While a big fan of Colt, not sure how you can attribute to him some of the things you do. Routing through a forest - New Zealand was the first and and a good number of years before any of Colts heathland gems. I think I'm right in saying New Zealand was Mure Fergusson ?

Plateau greens - again, all those Spion Kops, were they not basically plateau greens ? No doubt Colt did his with a certain style but less than convinced that what he did with those type of greens was a gamechanger. And with regards to being a new kind of gca, his great contemporary WH Fowler came into much the same category even if he was ultimately less prolific than Colt.

If I was going to nominate Colt for anything I would suggest how he generally raised the bar with the quality of his designs. I think it was the overall end product that was the gamechanger.

Niall

Jason Topp

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2013, 02:56:52 PM »
I don't know that you can trace a direct line between the US Open that year and the minimalist works of Bandon, SHills and others (although maybe w/ Crenshaw, who was in contention for that Open and has always raved about Shinnecock; see this:
http://www.nytimes.com/1995/06/13/sports/sports-of-the-times-shinnecock-should-be-on-radio.html ), but I think that event opened the eyes to golf fans that there was a different way to play and appreciate golf.

Phil - nice point.  I distinctly remember that US Open because of the venue.  It seemed so refreshing at the time even though I could not articulate why.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2013, 06:54:19 PM »
Golf carts

+1

The acceptance of golf carts meant that courses no longer had to be routed with walking in mind. This clearly allowed many different properties to be made into viable courses.  It also allowed for the construction of housing courses with long green to tee stretches between the course corridors.

So game changers don't necessarily have to be good?   ;D

Thomas Dai

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2013, 04:58:05 AM »
Herbert Fowler.

Not mentioned above and Bernard Darwin said of him - "Mr.Herbert Fowler, who is perhaps the most daring and original of all golfing architects, and gifted with an almost inspired eye for the possibility of a golfing country." Walton Heath, The Berkshire, Beau Desert, Eastward Ho!, Saunton, etc, etc, etc. I've copied this Darwin quote from a passage in Thomas McWoods splendid 'Arts and Crafts Golf Part IV'. If this copying of a quote is considered naughty let me know and I'll remove it.

All the best

Sean_A

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2013, 08:46:13 AM »
Ted/Sean

While a big fan of Colt, not sure how you can attribute to him some of the things you do. Routing through a forest - New Zealand was the first and and a good number of years before any of Colts heathland gems. I think I'm right in saying New Zealand was Mure Fergusson ?

Plateau greens - again, all those Spion Kops, were they not basically plateau greens ? No doubt Colt did his with a certain style but less than convinced that what he did with those type of greens was a gamechanger. And with regards to being a new kind of gca, his great contemporary WH Fowler came into much the same category even if he was ultimately less prolific than Colt.

If I was going to nominate Colt for anything I would suggest how he generally raised the bar with the quality of his designs. I think it was the overall end product that was the gamechanger.

Niall

Niall

I think there is a big difference between a plateau green and a Spion Kop - perhaps the biggest difference being Colt would do a plateau but not a SK.  I also think there is a huge difference in how often plateaux greens were employed by Colt whereas the SK is really just a freak hole.  When I look at Burnham's 4th, 5th and 9th greens (Colt's) and compare it to the 12th (FW Hawtree's) and into more modern design such as Doak's and C&C's, I can see a clear lineage.  I cannot say the same for SKs.

I agree that Fergusson doesn't get the credit he deserves for ripping a course thru trees, though I never mentioned trees.  But while on the subject, wasn't it Colt who came up with the first tree plan?

I also agree that Colt brought a certain elegance to design that perhaps didn't exist previously.  In any case, if Colt wasn't a game changer the term is meaningless.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back