News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Galea

Copake Country Club
« on: July 26, 2003, 09:40:26 PM »
I played Copake Country Club in Craryville, NY last week in a superintendent's meeting. It was a pleasure to see Steve Curry. I played with the super, Mark Anderson. The course was in fine shape. It is 6169 yards, routed up and down through trees with great vistas of Copake Lake and the surrounding mountains. There is plenty of room to play golf. The 11th hole sits atop a shale ridge. The greens are small with wonderful features surrounding them. Very "old school." Several greens have a "hard edge" reminiscent of Wyantenuk, then again there are some small rounded bumps and humps. Steve noticed that the 12th a par 3 of 160 yds. was biarritz style. Perhaps the approch was green at one time. Mark has searched and can find no information on the original designer of the course. Which is the reason for my posting. Does anyone have information on this hidden gem?

Looking back on the 14th hole. 365 yds. #2 hdcp.
Notice Mark Anderson's handiwork-"wispygrass" (fescue).

Par 3 5th hole (from the 6th tee)  228 yds. #7hdcp.

Oh yeah, I also snuck in 9 holes at Rip Van Winkle in Palenville, which I have been reccomending here for the past 3 years.
"chief sherpa"

Jim_Kennedy

Re:Copake Country Club
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2003, 08:08:08 AM »
Pete,
Copake is in the best shape it's ever been, at least in the 20 or so years I've played there. Mark Anderson has done a tremendous job, especially when you take into account the many drainage issues, small greens and compactness of the layout.

The downhill tee shot to a green that falls away to the back side is a fun one, especially when the wind is up, but I've never really thought of the 12th as a Biarritz. Half a Biarritz?
It's too bad photos don't do justice to the hill climb that is #14. I don't know how many times I have seen players putt right off that green and into the bunker.

I've asked a few of our older members but no one seems to know who designed the course.

The Smith's do a great job at RVW, don't they?  
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Steve Curry

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2003, 09:45:22 AM »
Pete,

It was great to see you as well, you have to come here again next trip.  I am glad you posted regarding Copake, someone with an experienced hand must have been there early on.  Mark did say that he has access to aerials from the 30s in which the course is established, built in the 20s by his estimation.

Jim,

the biarritz swale is in front of the green and there is a grassed in flanking bunker on the left that goes from the approach through the swale and past the green.  This really seem to me to indicate a biarritz??

Regards,
Steve

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2003, 12:21:57 PM »
Steve,
There is a continual drop from the swale to the back of the green. I've only played two done by Raynor and some others by various architects (no expert here) but never saw one that dropped off as CLCC's does. 3/4 Biarritz?  ;D

Pete,
One of my older members said it was built in the 20's, was called Cedar's resort and was a getaway mainly for Jewish folks from NYC. He will try to find out who the A was.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

scott_wood

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2003, 12:39:41 PM »
Pete, I didn't know you were visiting from California. John Foley is visiting Olde Kinderhook, Wed at 1, and bringing a friend. Can you be the fourth? Please call me, 392-3276h/5161w.
We played the 1st round of the County Championship at Copake 2 weeks ago. VERY sporty! I hope Mark didn't have you playing to a few of the flagstick locations he conjured up for us! He has done a GREAT job as super, with vast improvement the past few years, including the fescues.
I also believe that it's only "half" a Biarritz, as it's lacking the level/dip/level of a "classical" Biarritz
Cheers

Steve Curry

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 06:37:27 PM »
Pete,

Do you have any other pictures from that day?

Steve

Scott Witter

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 07:44:07 PM »
Pete, Steve, Jim, Scott:

This is all good stuff and in some way will be helpful to the cause.  Naturally if any of you have more history to offer, please do so and send me or Mark Fine an IM.

Mark and I didn't get a sense of a Biarritz from the 12th, thought it does have some interesting character as does the 2nd, 3rd 14th 17th for examples, there are many creative and challenging surfaces out there and I can see how under the right circumstances 3 putts could be the norm  :-[

Mark_Fine

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 08:31:57 PM »
Like Scott said, this is good stuff.  We both didn't see a Biarritz in #12 but we'll look again.  The place really has potential.  I'm sure you guys noticed how squared off the original green surfaces once were.  Wait till they get restored!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 08:47:22 PM »
Way to go Pete, in bringing something different to the website, rather than the same old stuff.  I hope your trip east was a great time.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Billsteele

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 09:02:48 PM »
This thread motivated me to check Copake's website (www.copakecountryclub.com). The photo on the homepage is somewhat reminiscent of the "short" at Hotchkiss with the vista of the lake in the background. By any chance is the hole a par three that plays downhill? Are all the courses in the Berkshires situated on such lovely terrain?

Mark_Fine

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 09:15:26 PM »
Bill,
The website doesn't do the course justice.  That hole is not a par three but the views are spectacular.  They will even be better when some of the trees are addressed.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back