News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark McKeever

As the restoration work begins at Philadelphia Cricket Club, we are starting to see some of the changes already and one area that the club is looking to make strides on, is the appearance of concrete and cart paths.  Take a look at what Dan Meersman and his crew have been up to!

•       The club’s plan is to replace EVERY piece of blacktop on the three campuses with Chip-Seal over time.

•       The cost to put it down is between 50%-66% less per square foot than asphalt.  Best of all, it can be placed directly on top of existing blacktop like it was in these photos.  This is directly on top of existing paths around the clubhouse at Militia Hill.  More to come!

•       Asphalt changes color quickly, cracks easily, and repairs immediately are noticeable.  Chip-Seal retains a consistent color/texture; wears better than asphalt, and repairs (when needed) blend in seamlessly with existing product.

•       The ‘look’ is incredibly natural – it’s a ‘timeless’ appearance which goes well with the club's vision going forward.

Dan Meersman and his team are continuing to do a fantastic job with every piece of the renovation.  And this highlights just one of them! :)

Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

John Shimony

Re: Philadelphia Cricket Club Restoration - Cart Path Replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 09:26:22 AM »
The paths do look very nice and natural.  Similiar to the crushed shell paths at Hidden Creek and other Jersey shore courses.
John Shimony
Philadelphia, PA

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 07:07:10 AM »
Mark,
    Thank's for sharing. The photos look very natural and much better than macadam. Can you use the stuff on driveways and heavy traffic areas? Do you know the history of the product, how long it has been in use?

V. Kmetz

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 07:12:45 AM »
Very good share - the look is both sprightly and natural for the environs.

I have a follow up question along the lines of what Charlie G asked:

1.  Is this Chip-Seal product available in other hues/colors, where the sand/tan might not be such a natural fit for the presentation another club desires?

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

corey miller

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 08:00:23 AM »

Clearly we are throwing around the term "restoration" very loosely.  ;D  I do like the look relative to other choices on this type of property.  Is the border necessary with this product?  Are you using  the border all-over the course or just those areas near the clubhouse?

Mark McKeever

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 09:35:32 AM »
Mark,
    Thank's for sharing. The photos look very natural and much better than macadam. Can you use the stuff on driveways and heavy traffic areas? Do you know the history of the product, how long it has been in use?

Chip Seal is used on side streets and parking lots all over in the north east as a coating over macadam.  I started seeing this stuff appear on roads around 10 years ago, but it may predate that even more. 

Once you get onto heavy traffic roads, you don't see them as much, but it works great on low speed/undulating roads.  I imagine the rougher surface may get loud doing 55+mph on them.

Mark

Mark McKeever

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 09:36:38 AM »
Very good share - the look is both sprightly and natural for the environs.

I have a follow up question along the lines of what Charlie G asked:

1.  Is this Chip-Seal product available in other hues/colors, where the sand/tan might not be such a natural fit for the presentation another club desires?

cheers

vk

VK,
The chip seal on roads is typically grey/black, so I imagine it can be purchased in a variety of colors to suit a club's desire.

Mark

Mark McKeever

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 09:41:43 AM »

Clearly we are throwing around the term "restoration" very loosely.  ;D  I do like the look relative to other choices on this type of property.  Is the border necessary with this product?  Are you using  the border all-over the course or just those areas near the clubhouse?

Regarding the "restoration" term being used, I wouldn't call it a loose version of the term at all....have you seen the master plan for the Wissahickon course?  Have you seen the restoration of St. Martin's?

The stone borders are not necessary to make the Chip Seal work and they are only around the clubhouse right now.

MM

corey miller

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 02:05:50 PM »

Regarding the "restoration" term being used, I wouldn't call it a loose version of the term at all....have you seen the master plan for the Wissahickon course?  Have you seen the restoration of St. Martin's?

Mark

I wish you and the club luck on the work.  Who is doing it? Who is the consulting architect? 

Please note a  ;D smiley face..... I have a hard time accepting "restoration" and "cart path" in the same sentence.   A necessary evil. 

Mark McKeever

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 10:58:46 PM »
Keith Foster is doing the work.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back