News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Taylor

Played Muirfield this week...
« on: May 03, 2013, 04:37:03 PM »
I was fortunate enough to play Muirfield this week... course is in great shape, greens are fast and looking good for the Open.

Some photos below, I don't have time to do a fully blown photo tour I'm afraid but should give you all a flavour of how it will look.

Having played it a six years ago, I was impressed but not blown away... this time around, having played a lot more links golf and courses generally, I can see it's excellence... it's a straight away test of golf, no funky walls or blind shots (11th tee aside) and a classy routing. For me, it might not be a "true links" but it is the best links course bar none. I've paid my dues at the OC and Muirfield is a notch higher.

UK GCA'ers will be interested to know that Carlos Tevez was in the group behind us, and played North Berwick in front of us the day before...!

Anyway, enjoy all...

Mark Smolens

Re: Played Muirfield this week...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 05:19:36 PM »
How long does it take to put up the bleachers? It's May 3 and they've started already?

Greg Taylor

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 05:27:58 PM »
Took them a week to get that far...!

Pics from Sky Sports at Merion show them going up too.

Pretty cool playing up 18 like that, made the hole feel easier for some reason....

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 06:07:02 PM »
Thanks for the pix. I'm playing there next Thursday and am so antsy. 

What's wrong with funky walls? I'm looking forward to a funky wall or two at North Berwick and Dunbar ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 06:52:36 PM »
Thanks for the pix. I'm playing there next Thursday and am so antsy. 

What's wrong with funky walls? I'm looking forward to a funky wall or two at North Berwick and Dunbar ;D

How about those funky walls on the Craighead course at Crail?

Steve Salmen

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 07:21:04 PM »
Great pics.  Muirfield became my favorite golf course after the first time I played it in 1991 and remains so today after 20 odd rounds.

Bill,  are you referring to the wall that preceeds the birth of Christ? 

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 07:21:47 PM »
Greg,

I think the two best spots in the world for a deeply emotional and golfing weekend would be the Greywalls Hotel and Muirfield G.C. plus the Lodge and thirty six holes on Pebble Beach.

Bob

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 08:12:13 PM »
Great pics.  Muirfield became my favorite golf course after the first time I played it in 1991 and remains so today after 20 odd rounds.

Bill,  are you referring to the wall that preceeds the birth of Christ? 

No idea!  There are two holes on that course where the fairway on the other side of the wall is even with the top of the wall - a reverse ha ha.  I really liked those holes, where you can either lay up below or take on the carry.  Great stuff.  The Craighead is on not as interesting land as the Balcomie, but some of the individual holes are exciting. 

Brad Tufts

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 09:57:06 PM »
I played Muirfield in 2011, and was prepared to dislike it based on the many changes for open hosting over the years, and the exclusivity, etc.

Loved every second of it....one of my all-time favorites.  Really liked how they split tees between forward/members/Open tees that allow all players to play a bunch of holes from the same spot as the pros while still keeping things moving.  This is a very, very solid golf course...no frills but just dripping with ambiance and history.

Went to the shop in town and there wasn't anything I wouldn't buy with the HCEG golfer on it...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Greg Taylor

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 04:04:00 PM »
A couple of pics from Nth Berwidk too...

15th tee

15th green

15th green - rear... you've seen these before I'm sure

Ben Attwood

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 05:06:53 PM »
So was Mr Tevez any good? He's certainly had enough practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BCNV43mDCc

Thomas Dai

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 05:33:30 AM »
"Played Muirfield this week...". Very jealous, wish I had, as it's my favourite. Pure class. There are a few walls as I recall, such as on the 2nd, 6th and 9th with the one on the 9th in particular having claimed a few notable scalps in Open Championships over the years. Interesting photo from the 18th fairway with the tunnel effect of the grandstands, as bleachers are called in the UK.

I'm the process of re-reading Robert Hunters book 'The Links' where he mentions that at one time back in Yee Olde days the 1st hole at Muirfield was a par-3.

Where else did you get to play other than Muirfield and North Berwick Greg? I like your photo taken from the back of the 15th green at NB, views from behind greens are not that common so to see this one, especially given the significance of the hole in the history of course architecture, is interesting.

All the best.

Martin Toal

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 05:57:38 AM »

UK GCA'ers will be interested to know that Carlos Tevez was in the group behind us, and played North Berwick in front of us the day before...!

Oh dear. I had been under the impression that HCEG was a classy joint. Guess not.

Greg Taylor

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 07:06:05 AM »
Tevez looked like a 10 handicapper, solid swing, but no fireworks...

He kept himself to himself, played with his younger brother, g/f and security. The only time I saw him hassled was at HCEG on the range, where he guys putting up the grand stands were hassling him.

I have another couple of pics from Nth Berwick worth posting, plus we played The Glen too which is worth a play if in the area. I will post them tonight if I get the chance.

Fortunately the wind when we played Muirfield had fallen away... at NB/The Glen it must have been 40mph plus.

One more spot: Peter Dawson was stopping at the Marine Hotel at the same time too - was doing Press Days at Muirfield.

Great little town too North Berwick. Great trip!

David Whitmer

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 01:48:52 PM »
I also played Muirfield last week...Thursday morning and afternoon. I loved everything about it. The routing is stellar, the conditioning was great, and I thought the golf course is just fantastic. What a test. The only negative I could come up with is that it's not on the water; I really had to look hard to find any sort of negative.

We played a murderer's row last week: Nairn, Castle Stuart, Royal Dornoch, Carnoustie, New Course, Old Course, Muirfield, West Links at North Berwick, and Gullane #1. Muirfield was my favorite. The only course I would not play again is Carnoustie...too difficult, and kind of uninspiring. Now, I did play it in about a constant 40 MPH wind, but still...I walked off the eighteenth feeling I got my ass kicked for four hours.

When we were walking out of the Muirfield clubhouse, we passed and chatted briefly with a member (think, in age, appearance, and how he spoke, John Houseman). I asked him about preparations for The Open, and he said, "I fear a foreigner is going to come to our club and win the title. It would upset me greatly to have a foreigner win here...particularly one of yours." He was smiling as he said it, and we thought it was hilarious. A great moment in a great day that was part of a great week.

Greg Taylor

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 03:40:26 PM »
David, I am with you ref: Carnoustie, tough to love.

Here are some more pics for you...

10th tee, North Berwick...

13 green, Nth Berwick, and a wall...!

18th green, NB... great finishing hole, perfect for match play...!

And one last one from Muirfield....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back