News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Colton

AAC #7: Husker Dunes Golf Club
« on: May 03, 2013, 11:11:57 AM »
Now that the votes are in, now is as good a time to reveal my entry and put myself in front of the firing squad. Fire away!

You can see a slideshow with hole-by-hole details here. I'll try to post some more pictures here as well this weekend.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1DeSw3NK35BFc6aXJ0fpXX6YMtWkXt3vvJ8hYvoJrMUY/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000

Mark Bourgeois

Re: AAC #7: Husker Dunes Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 11:27:01 AM »
I'll ask the first question: can you get Bob Mould to play at the opening party? Because that would be awesome.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Eric Smith

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 11:46:39 AM »
Jim,

Well done. As you now know, I chose entry no. 7 early on as my favorite. The name, as Mark B alludes to, couldn't have been better...well played. Would love to see a green complex like yours at 13 & 15 on a real piece of ground one of these days.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 11:48:54 AM »
Jim,

Looks great !!

Quick question, based on the layout of the hole, is there any advantage to the narrower landing area to th right of the principles nose on hole 2?

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Alex Miller

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 12:17:09 PM »
I think it's pretty clear that it sucks.  ;D

Not surprisingly, I think you had a great grasp of what the visuals would be like for your course. There are some great risk/reward options and you put together a fine routing using very little of the land that I personally used. Holes 3 and 4 are stellar, but more importantly you got out of that corner with ease with holes 5 and 6. Something that other contestants struggled with when using that area. I also really liked the 18th greensite and it seems like a heck of a par 4.5 finisher.

Jim Colton

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 02:47:01 PM »
Jim,

Looks great !!

Quick question, based on the layout of the hole, is there any advantage to the narrower landing area to th right of the principles nose on hole 2?

Mark

Mark,

I think the hole is longer from the other set of tee boxes, in which case you'd be tempted to shorten the hole by taking the inside of the dogleg.

This is one of the first holes that I found, though I could quite get it right. It seemed to be sitting in a little valley that was begging for a fairway. I think a few others used it as well. But it was very wide and I toyed with a bunch of different configurations and green sites.

Jim Colton

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 08:29:30 AM »
A gratuitous bump for my last-placed finish!

Mark McKeever

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 08:41:13 AM »
Jim,

Looks great !!

Mark

Mark,

I think the hole is longer from the other set of tee boxes, in which case you'd be tempted to shorten the hole by taking the inside of the dogleg.

This is one of the first holes that I found, though I could quite get it right. It seemed to be sitting in a little valley that was begging for a fairway. I think a few others used it as well. But it was very wide and I toyed with a bunch of different configurations and green sites.

I didnt see the right hand tee boxes at first, so makes sense.  Thanks!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Alex Miller

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 09:29:39 AM »
Tommy Naccarrato says:

Husker Dunes Contestant AAC_07

You’ve got a brilliant use of land here, but I think some of your strategies are a bit off.

If I may be so bold, Hole #4 is a good example. You’ve got the corridor for great golf all there, but in all due honesty, what is the reward for going right?   It reminds me a lot of the 12th at Rancho Santa Fe, where the hole, back in its day was worthy of going for the right island fairway. It was a direct line to the hole and made for an easier approach when compared to going left off of the tee and having a much more difficult 2nd. Unfortunately, tree growth; loss of fairway because of the enlarging of the pond has rendered that additional fairway useless there, and it isn’t much different with your hole, only the decision is obvious for a really good player; any player for that matter. Hit it straight. Suddenly, the strategy is hit it straight, right side of the left fairway.

While this is something that needs to be positioned better in the field, it’s a good golf hole with some careful adjusting.

There are more holes like this. Just some careful adjustments and it’s a really good golf course, especially if you get rid of half of the bunkers! (rely more on natural blowouts and sandy areas., etc.  In fact, I’d enjoy seeing you come up with  routing with no bunkers—work and understand the land.

Ron Whitten says:

ENTRY 7
   Much better alignment to the practice range, in that it faces west rather than east, but with the south wind, it will accentuate the slices of many a fader, which is never a good thing.

It is clear the architect tried to provide an easily-walkable course, but in nearly every instance, the closest tee box to the previous green is the back tee, not the regular member tee. My feeling is the back tees are rarely used, and therefore those should be off in the distance somewhere. To truly make a course walkable at a decent pace of play for the masses, the regular (members) tees ought to be closest to previous greens.  In some cases, the architect didn’t provide formal tee boxes, just massive tightly mown areas with flatten areas from which to pick a spot to tee off. All well and good, but for handicap purposes, every golf association requires players tee off between markers. (Rules of golf require that, too. Within two club lengths.) So the romance of picking your spot from which to hit is negated considerably by the fact that clubs will pick those spots for you.

I don’t like the fact that the architect didn’t bother to provide yardages from anything but the “back tees.” Doesn’t seem like there’s much advantage in distance from the forward tees, which I suspect measure 6,600 yards or more, far too far for average handicappers. Hard to “tee it forward” on this course.  Nor does there seem to be much variation in the angles for average golfers. Most holes are linear. The architect doesn’t take advantage of the vast width available on this site to provide some distinctly different angles on the same hole. One of personal observations is that the best golf holes are those that look and play differently from tee to tee. I don’t see that here. Nearly every hole demands the same tee shot angle from back tee to front. (An exception may be the second hole, but the tee boxes, although left and right of the first green, present just about the same distance to the green. (Can’t be certain since the architect failed to provide a complete scorecard.)

Three of the four par 3s run in different directions, and I suppose we could say that five and 17 are actually in different directions, but only if you play the left-hand tees on 17. (I assume the neck of fairway leading from 11 to 17 is also teeing ground. Otherwise, why is it there?) Three of the four par 5s play in the different directions. (Alas, the ninth and 11th playing in exactly the same direction; why, on this vast site?)  But there doesn’t seem to be much change in direction (and change in wind direction) from hole to hole. The first two play into the south wind. The fifth through seventh are all downwind. Eight through 11 are four holes in a row with a left-to-right crosswind, while 15 through 18 all pose (admittedly different) angles of right-to-left crosswind.

I’m also curious about the returning nines. I understand the rules indicated that contestants were to “look for the opportunity for ‘sunset golf,’” which may have negated this (and every participating) architect from following the Tom Doak suggestion of routing – i.e. make it feel like a comfortable walk through the land, following the line of least resistance – and instead forced contestants to manipulate the routing a bit to get several holes close to the clubhouse for that “sunset round.”
I’m not a big fan of dual fairways, or even massive fairways split by bunkers.  I’ve found that in most cases, one fairway usually goes unused, unless there is a good design reason why players would use it on occasion.  On this design, the par-4 fourth has high-low fairways and I don’t know why anyone, from the back tee, should play the right hand fairway. (From the forward tee, the right-hand fairway isn’t even an option.) So that right-hand fairways seems like just a waste of land, turf and irrigation to me. Eliminate it, and the hole is still a good one, playing, as the architect writes down a “roller coaster ride” to the green.

Likewise, is anyone really going to drive it down the right side of No. 8? I don’t see that “the angle of attack” is all that much better from that hazardous side as from the more generous left side. On the par-5 ninth, the architect describes it as an “all-or-nothing carry to the left fairway.”  Okay, given that it’s an uphill tee shot, where’s the advantage? There won’t be extra roll. Players taking the right hand route won’t be any farther from the green for their second shot, and the green, with a front center bunker, doesn’t favor either left or right approach angle. These sort of holes look good on paper, but as a practical matter, rarely work. Everybody plays one fairway or the other. There’s no advantage for a gamble.
I’d like to like the short uphill par-4 12th, but the huge distance from the regular and forward tees to the start of the fairway – nearly 200 yards, uphill, into the wind – makes me think this is a mid-to-high handicappers nightmare. Plus the fairway slopes sharply to the right for the slicer, into more trouble.  I find this tiny fairway curious, given the large expanses of turf used for no apparent purpose elsewhere. Why are the 14th and 15th fairways connected? Why are the 11th and 17? If you have that much grass seed and irrigation to spare, why not use it where it’s needed, like a little more fairway on 12, extending back toward the tee?

Likewise, the double green for 13 and 15 may look dramatic, but how practical is it? First, it will be extremely difficult to irrigate (particularly on a windy sandhills site) without placing some irrigation heads within the putting surface, which is never a good idea. There is always the safety issue (particularly since the architect, in his hole description, indicates that, when the pin on 13 is to the front, the pin on 15 will be in the “shared section. . . requiring a long approach over the deep hazard.” It’s never a good idea to have golfers playing uphill into a green where other golfers are standing, often with their back to the line of play. Worse yet are skulled bunker shots out of that “deep hazard” which could hit unsuspecting golfers putting on the 13th green.  Other than the novelty of a double green, was there a genuine design reason for using it?  I can’t see one.

The design, to me, seems more contrived than I would have expected to see on a sandhills locale. While the architect did try to take advantage of landforms, particularly on the par 3s, there still seems to be a number of holes simply superimposed into the landscape.
CONCLUSIONS ON ENTRY 7:  Didn’t like the short par-4 seventh at first, but upon further reflection, it’s the sort of distinct-options hole that works without being overly expensive to build and maintain.  Should this architect be hired, I’d have him go back to the drawing board to re-route the course to provide more changes in directions to present more varying wind situations, and design alternatives using natural slopes and land forms instead of enormous extra fairways.

I do think this architect had the best sense of humor of any of the entrants. “A one-way train to Doublebogeyville” was the best line I read all day.

Alex Miller

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 10:41:51 AM »
Just wanted to add (and hopefully this will be seen so I don't need to repeat in other threads) a word about Mr. Whitten's commentary in regard to wind.

Ron knows the Sand Hills very well and made many comments with a prevailing South wind in mind. Obviously this was not what the contestants were given, but when it came to ranking the courses  he said that prevailing wind did not affect the order of his judging. Hopefully that clears that up and leaves the opportunity to discuss any and all parts of what were many great insights by Mr. Naccarrato and Mr. Whitten.

Jim Colton

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 11:14:14 AM »
Alex,

Thanks for posting the comments. I certainly respect the comments of Tommy and Mr. Whitten. I'm still not sure what I would change about my course based on them though. I did try to make some bold choices like the 4th and the 13th/15th which may have been my undoing. I would probably try to revisit the fairway orientation of the 12th.

As far as the 4th hole goes, some loved it, some questioned the need for the fairway right. I just felt standing on that tee box, you'd see a giant, generally flat area to the right of the fairway. It'd likely be a lost ball and a penalty if it wasn't there and you blocked one out right (though the south winds would help keep it in play). Although most want to see an immediate and obvious risk-reward trade-off -- I simply saw it as known vs. unknown. The golfer might gravitate towards the fairway that he can see and the direct line to the hole versus the drive up and over the hill.

With respect to bunkers...I had envisioned some or most of these to be blowouts or expanding scratchouts in the surface. It was hard to know where these would be without an actual site visit or a more detailed map -- obviously you'd want to use as many of these as possible. I did find myself relying on the Sand Hills aerial for guidance on size and scale of bunkers and overall look of the grassing lines. This seemed like a great place to start, though looking back Ballyneal's "look" might've been a better starting point.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 11:17:09 AM »
Positioning practice ranges to accentuate swing flaws, into the wind, should be the ideal. Practice is fer lern'in.

Jim, while I'm not capable of giving your project the full critique monty, I will say that from the perspectives you have on your blog, (ground level) I was concerned about the scale. Worried the course would be adversely effected on such an expansive site. Was that a consideration?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jim Colton

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 11:28:01 AM »
Positioning practice ranges to accentuate swing flaws, into the wind, should be the ideal. Practice is fer lern'in.

Jim, while I'm not capable of giving your project the full critique monty, I will say that from the perspectives you have on your blog, (ground level) I was concerned about the scale. Worried the course would be adversely effected on such an expansive site. Was that a consideration?

Adam,

You mean as far as being exposed and generally out in the open? One thing that I was admittedly struggling with was the expanded scaled (roughly 150%) and flattened elevation (1/4th) vs. reality. Would a site realistically look like that in the Sand Hills? Is that bunker too big? Could you really go up on over that hill? Those are questions that I wrestled with, trying to convert the relatively crude topo into 3D in my head. I did shy away from using the highest parts on the west part of the site, though many others went right up, over and around, successfully it seems. I'm still learning there, though I believe I do give a lot of thought about sight lines and not only finding greensites but coming up with a reasonable place to tee up from next.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 02:29:59 PM »
1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 15

The holes I liked.

I see I liked a lot of holes that Ron didn't. I'd like to see more of what Jim has to say about Ron's criticisms.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill Seitz

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 04:04:09 PM »
In some cases, the architect didn’t provide formal tee boxes, just massive tightly mown areas with flatten areas from which to pick a spot to tee off. All well and good, but for handicap purposes, every golf association requires players tee off between markers. (Rules of golf require that, too. Within two club lengths.) So the romance of picking your spot from which to hit is negated considerably by the fact that clubs will pick those spots for you.

Geez, you'd almost think that the guy who designed it was a member at a place like Ballyneal!

Jim Colton

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 04:16:09 PM »

The holes I liked.

I see I liked a lot of holes that Ron didn't. I'd like to see more of what Jim has to say about Ron's criticisms.

Garland, I just finished a point-by-point rebuttal to Ron's comments, but got timed out and lost it all. Will revisit later today.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 05:18:01 PM »

The holes I liked.

Garland, I just finished a point-by-point rebuttal to Ron's comments, but got timed out and lost it all. Will revisit later today.

Jim,

I can't believe you are not logged in forever so that doesn't happen to you.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jim Colton

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 06:26:00 PM »
Garland,

I've been camping out on a computer that isn't mine this week...

ENTRY 7
   Much better alignment to the practice range, in that it faces west rather than east, but with the south wind, it will accentuate the slices of many a fader, which is never a good thing.

I honestly didn't give a whole lot of thought to the driving range, simply because as a national destination club member, I know how little use they get. I've used the driving range at Ballyneal twice in six years. One google doc responder said the west facing range was a detriment, due to being into the setting sun. I can honestly say this is really not a concern at a destination club. Nobody uses the range at the end of the day -- they go out and play.

Obviously Ron made a lot of comments assuming prevailing winds from the south, which explicitly wasn't an assumption in the contest. With respect to the driving range, I take solace in the fact that my range orientation is almost identical to Sand Hills, the course where Mr. Whitten wants his ashes spread.

It is clear the architect tried to provide an easily-walkable course, but in nearly every instance, the closest tee box to the previous green is the back tee, not the regular member tee. My feeling is the back tees are rarely used, and therefore those should be off in the distance somewhere. To truly make a course walkable at a decent pace of play for the masses, the regular (members) tees ought to be closest to previous greens.  In some cases, the architect didn’t provide formal tee boxes, just massive tightly mown areas with flatten areas from which to pick a spot to tee off. All well and good, but for handicap purposes, every golf association requires players tee off between markers. (Rules of golf require that, too. Within two club lengths.) So the romance of picking your spot from which to hit is negated considerably by the fact that clubs will pick those spots for you.

I think a lot of entries used the open teeing areas with no set markers, a la Ballyneal, which works well for a members matchplay course on a site with varied wind conditions. I might be mistaken, but I believe neither Sand Hills and Ballyneal have course ratings/slope on the scorecard -- golf associations be damned!

As I mentioned earlier, my method of routing is to find greensites, find natural corridors to those greensites, then find the closest logical spot for the next tee box, with a strong bent of maintain visibility for the tee shot. Admittedly, a lot of times this leads to the back tee, but I believe I have shorter/equidistant members tees at 2, 3, 6, 9, 10, 11, 13, 16, which has to be on par or better than most real-world courses, I'd imagine. And as Alex mentioned, as long as you're starting with short distances in the first place, that has to count for something. I believe Ron's co-designs at Erin Hills has to be one of the most arduous walking only courses in the country.

I don’t like the fact that the architect didn’t bother to provide yardages from anything but the “back tees.” Doesn’t seem like there’s much advantage in distance from the forward tees, which I suspect measure 6,600 yards or more, far too far for average handicappers. Hard to “tee it forward” on this course.  Nor does there seem to be much variation in the angles for average golfers. Most holes are linear. The architect doesn’t take advantage of the vast width available on this site to provide some distinctly different angles on the same hole. One of personal observations is that the best golf holes are those that look and play differently from tee to tee. I don’t see that here. Nearly every hole demands the same tee shot angle from back tee to front. (An exception may be the second hole, but the tee boxes, although left and right of the first green, present just about the same distance to the green. (Can’t be certain since the architect failed to provide a complete scorecard.)

I can provide yardages for each tee box...I think it was something like 5,600 yards or less.

With respect to varied angles/linear tee shots, I think that a shift of just 10 yards means a lot in terms of the angle of the tee shots. Many courses that are known for offering varied angles (Ballyneal being one of) would be considered 'linear' from an aerial view. I have angles on 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16 and 18. I guess I could've pushed the envelope there more.

Three of the four par 3s run in different directions, and I suppose we could say that five and 17 are actually in different directions, but only if you play the left-hand tees on 17. (I assume the neck of fairway leading from 11 to 17 is also teeing ground. Otherwise, why is it there?) Three of the four par 5s play in the different directions. (Alas, the ninth and 11th playing in exactly the same direction; why, on this vast site?)  But there doesn’t seem to be much change in direction (and change in wind direction) from hole to hole. The first two play into the south wind. The fifth through seventh are all downwind. Eight through 11 are four holes in a row with a left-to-right crosswind, while 15 through 18 all pose (admittedly different) angles of right-to-left crosswind.

I've never been a big fan of the formulaic, box the compass evaluation of par 3's and 5's. Certainly I would've explored other options before having all four par 3's run in the same direction, but I firmly believe you have to find the best 18 holes well before trying to have all four par 3's run in different directions. [I did like the fact that my par 3's got longer as the round went on, but that wasn't that I intentionally set out to do]. Along those same lines, I felt very strongly about my 9th and 11th holes (I think 11 was the best par 5 in the contest). I see no need to scrap one of those holes or make one a par 4 simply because they run in the same direction.

The shared turf between 11/17 is really for the second shot on 11, as that devilish green may require being right of the centerline bunkers on the 2nd shot in order to have a good angle for the approach. The unsuspecting golfer would probably blast into the bowl left of the green. The safe golfer might lose his shot a little further right and have a very difficult third. To me, that shared turf is essential.

I think the natural features of the site lend itself to a east-west orientation. In a vacuum, I'd probably avoid having holes 8-11 run in the same direction. However, this is a very strong stretch of holes, along with 7 & 12, so I don't think I would change anything there. Again, it's more about finding the best 18 holes to me than trying to make sure I'm constantly going in different directions (something that I do value, but not at the expense of the quality of the golf holes.)

I’m also curious about the returning nines. I understand the rules indicated that contestants were to “look for the opportunity for ‘sunset golf,’” which may have negated this (and every participating) architect from following the Tom Doak suggestion of routing – i.e. make it feel like a comfortable walk through the land, following the line of least resistance – and instead forced contestants to manipulate the routing a bit to get several holes close to the clubhouse for that “sunset round.”

I'm probably more influenced by the Doak school of routing than anybody else, and I definitely agree with the natural hunt for golf holes as you traverse the site. Considering Ballyneal and Sand Hills have returning nines (similar to the vast majority of golf courses), it's a stretch to say that returning nines automatically means you didn't get the most out of the property. I will also point out that at a national destination club, there's often little else to do besides golf, so returning nines and sunset loops are an important ingredient. The late, late afternoon is where these courses really shine (we call it the Golden Hour)...who would want to be out here with a glorious day and two hours of daylight, but unable to go out for more golf because an out and back routing would mean you'd be miles away from the clubhouse at dusk?

I’m not a big fan of dual fairways, or even massive fairways split by bunkers.  I’ve found that in most cases, one fairway usually goes unused, unless there is a good design reason why players would use it on occasion.  On this design, the par-4 fourth has high-low fairways and I don’t know why anyone, from the back tee, should play the right hand fairway. (From the forward tee, the right-hand fairway isn’t even an option.) So that right-hand fairways seems like just a waste of land, turf and irrigation to me. Eliminate it, and the hole is still a good one, playing, as the architect writes down a “roller coaster ride” to the green.

I talked about the 4th earlier. I think the right fairway is fine.

Likewise, is anyone really going to drive it down the right side of No. 8? I don’t see that “the angle of attack” is all that much better from that hazardous side as from the more generous left side. On the par-5 ninth, the architect describes it as an “all-or-nothing carry to the left fairway.”  Okay, given that it’s an uphill tee shot, where’s the advantage? There won’t be extra roll. Players taking the right hand route won’t be any farther from the green for their second shot, and the green, with a front center bunker, doesn’t favor either left or right approach angle. These sort of holes look good on paper, but as a practical matter, rarely work. Everybody plays one fairway or the other. There’s no advantage for a gamble.

8th: going left means intentionally lengthening a 460-yard par 4. That is often very hard to do, either consciously or subconsciously (see Ballyneal #17)

9th: there is a speed slot past the crest of the hill left, and the green invites a left-to-right shot around the clown's mouth. It's an all-or-nothing proposition with a payoff. It favors the bold. No way everybody plays to just one side on that hole.

I’d like to like the short uphill par-4 12th, but the huge distance from the regular and forward tees to the start of the fairway – nearly 200 yards, uphill, into the wind – makes me think this is a mid-to-high handicappers nightmare. Plus the fairway slopes sharply to the right for the slicer, into more trouble.  I find this tiny fairway curious, given the large expanses of turf used for no apparent purpose elsewhere. Why are the 14th and 15th fairways connected? Why are the 11th and 17? If you have that much grass seed and irrigation to spare, why not use it where it’s needed, like a little more fairway on 12, extending back toward the tee?

The 12th fairway is something that I immediately was taking a second look at after I turned my entry in. Considering I was early with my submission, Alex likely would've let me change it, but I didn't want to go there. I probably would've changed the orientation to be more left of the green, with less carry. The way the green is situated, it would still demand a precise and straight tee ball to drive the green, but would be one of those holes that would be more difficult the closer you are the green if you couldn't quite pull it off (I like those holes, probably because I often fall prey.)

Likewise, the double green for 13 and 15 may look dramatic, but how practical is it? First, it will be extremely difficult to irrigate (particularly on a windy sandhills site) without placing some irrigation heads within the putting surface, which is never a good idea. There is always the safety issue (particularly since the architect, in his hole description, indicates that, when the pin on 13 is to the front, the pin on 15 will be in the “shared section. . . requiring a long approach over the deep hazard.” It’s never a good idea to have golfers playing uphill into a green where other golfers are standing, often with their back to the line of play. Worse yet are skulled bunker shots out of that “deep hazard” which could hit unsuspecting golfers putting on the 13th green.  Other than the novelty of a double green, was there a genuine design reason for using it?  I can’t see one.

I knew the double green would probably be my downfall, but I feel strongly there is a "genuine design reason" for its inclusion. There are two very cool natural features right next to each other, the pit and an adjacent ridge. I could easily picked one for the 13th hole and one for the 15th hole, but the double green allows both holes to use both features. Playing on both sides of the ridge on #13 provides some very interesting and challenging putts to the other side, a just penalty for missing with a short third shot or long 2nd shot. Having two distinct greens for #15 in combination with two different tee areas (one just off the 14th tee, which really brings the shared fairway between 14/15 into play) equates to four different holes in one.

I also like the interplay between the hole locations on 13 & 15. If 13 is short of the ridge (easier), you'll know instinctively that 15 will play over the pit (harder). Conversely, if 13 plays to far side of the ridge (harder), then 15 will play easier and shorter to the left of the pit. Given the size of the green, the size of the membership and this pin strategy, it could be executed without anybody getting plunked unsuspectingly. This green is about the same size as one of the largest double greens at St. Andrews, and they do alright with a lot more play.

The design, to me, seems more contrived than I would have expected to see on a sandhills locale. While the architect did try to take advantage of landforms, particularly on the par 3s, there still seems to be a number of holes simply superimposed into the landscape.

I couldn't disagree more, as I feel this course could definitely "mow and go" with little to no earthmoving. I tried desperately to use natural landforms for green sites, which is apparent at 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 17, several of which utilize some of the best natural features of the site.

CONCLUSIONS ON ENTRY 7:  Didn’t like the short par-4 seventh at first, but upon further reflection, it’s the sort of distinct-options hole that works without being overly expensive to build and maintain.  Should this architect be hired, I’d have him go back to the drawing board to re-route the course to provide more changes in directions to present more varying wind situations, and design alternatives using natural slopes and land forms instead of enormous extra fairways.

Based on the comments, the only change I'd probably make would be to the 12th fairway, as mentioned above.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back