News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kevin_D

Golf Club Saint Tropez / South of France golf
« on: May 02, 2013, 11:39:29 AM »
Has anyone played, or know anything about, Golf Club Saint Tropez (in Gassin)?  It's a Gary Player design.  I am expecting it to be a way overpriced decent course (at best), but may play anyway just because of proximity to where I'll be staying for a week this summer.

http://www.golfclubsainttropez.com/en/

On another note, if anyone knows of somewhere great to play in the South of France I would love to hear about it!

Kevin
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 11:45:16 AM by Kevin_D »

Kevin_D

Re: Golf Club Saint Tropez / South of France golf
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 07:55:01 PM »
Wow, crickets...guess I'll have to be the guinea pig and report back!

James Bennett

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 04:05:29 PM »
Just saw this Kevin D

I have frequented the area since it was first planned in 1992, but stopped by the local authorities for many years.  It was completed in the 2000's (I think) and I last saw it from the wrong side of the fence in May 2006.

The course is at the bottom of the valley, but climbs the hills to the top - quite steep.  The holes at the top are quite narrow, with virtual lost ball/oob not that far off the centre line of play up there.  I can't tell you about the lower holes - I haven't seen them.

Originally, the course was going to be 36, but after the delays it became 18.  My sister iused to live about a kilometre from the course at the top of gassin. 

I susepct Gary Player would describe the course as 'the finest golf course I have seen in Gassin'.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Steve Okula

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 04:40:56 PM »
I don't know a lot about the south of France, but four years ago I had an unsuccessful interview for the GCS job at Terre Blanche, about 45 minutes inland from Cannes. I didn't play it, but examined the course from a greenkeeping perspective. It's 36 holes designed by Dave Thomas, who generally creates respectable tracks. It looked to be an interesting layout, wonderful terrain and views, and the conditions among the best I've seen in Europe with pure A-4 bentgrass greens. Mind you, this was nearly four years ago and the condition might now be different.

The golf course was conceived as an engine to promote real estate sales, consisting of expansive single unit plots occupied by mansions, which at least were well spread out and set back from the course and so were completely unobtrusive. The project is owned by a German billionaire, but the golf and adjoining hotel/spa operation was being managed at the time by the Four Seasons resort group, and I think it still is, so you can count on it being overpriced, regardless of any architectural merits. When I was there they had $50 cheeseburgers on the menu. (Fortunately the club bought me lunch.)

The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Kevin_D

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 07:57:18 AM »
Steve and James, thank you for your comments!  Very helpful.

I may give it a go - keeping expectations in check and knowing in advance I will overpay, in part due to location.  I had seen Terre Blanche (online) before - it is no longer managed by the Four Seasons but still seems pretty high-end (hotel claims to be 5 stars).  If I can squeeze in two rounds while I'm there I will take the trip up to play that too, otherwise will do so next year.  I'll report back with photos in early/mid July...

By the way, I played Royal Mougins, also in the area, last summer.  The course was in good condition and the surroundings were of course pretty, but the layout wasn't anything to write home about (with a few holes downright goofy) and it was pretty pricey as well.  I also remember absolutely dying for water in the last few holes - it was almost 100 degrees, humid and no drinking water anywhere in sight.  The two French gentlemen (members)  that I was paired with were extremely welcoming though.

Finally, I love the "finest golf course in Gassin" comment!

Jason Walker

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 08:58:51 AM »
For what it's worth, I played the Monte Carlo Golf Club several years ago.  While a beautiful place with spectacular views, I remember nothing of the course other than it being expensive, and about halfway through my round wishing I was back at the beach club. 

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 01:17:14 PM »
If you have the time I would recommend playing Mandelieu Old near Cannes. This is an under the radar Colt which is worth a look even with its usually poor condition. Barbaroux near Brignoles is also worth a look.

Jon

Randy Thompson

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 04:10:17 PM »
Steve and James, thank you for your comments!  Very helpful.

I may give it a go - keeping expectations in check and knowing in advance I will overpay, in part due to location.  I had seen Terre Blanche (online) before - it is no longer managed by the Four Seasons but still seems pretty high-end (hotel claims to be 5 stars).  If I can squeeze in two rounds while I'm there I will take the trip up to play that too, otherwise will do so next year.  I'll report back with photos in early/mid July...

By the way, I played Royal Mougins, also in the area, last summer.  The course was in good condition and the surroundings were of course pretty, but the layout wasn't anything to write home about (with a few holes downright goofy) and it was pretty pricey as well.  I also remember absolutely dying for water in the last few holes - it was almost 100 degrees, humid and no drinking water anywhere in sight.  The two French gentlemen (members)  that I was paired with were extremely welcoming though.

Finally, I love the "finest golf course in Gassin" comment!
Umm maybe like number seven, I think it was...landing área slopes sharply to the left towards the pond...which is blind:

Frank Pont

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 09:22:31 PM »
If you have the time I would recommend playing Mandelieu Old near Cannes. This is an under the radar Colt which is worth a look even with its usually poor condition. Barbaroux near Brignoles is also worth a look.

Jon

I really liked Mandelieu, very much worth a visit, got 14 cool holes! A Colt course I would love to restore one day...

Barbaroux was a disappointment for me, only front 9 were somewht interesting, terrain just to extreme...

Both have extensive phot tours on GAP.com

Tom Culley

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 06:16:15 AM »
Kevin,

I played St Andreol several years ago when on holiday in the Cote D'azur, i would say it's worth checking out.
"Play the ball as it lies, play the course as you find it, and if you cannot do either, do what is fair. But to do what is fair, you need to know the Rules of Golf."

Kevin_D

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 09:06:18 AM »
Very cool, thanks everyone - now I have a list of places to play there!  (my wife is fond of the area so we take a yearly trip)

I may try to squeeze in a round at Mandelieu this year - in any event I will be sure to share some pictures/thoughts wherever I end up

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 09:12:53 AM »
I liked Barbaroux, it's a P. B. Dye course. Yes, a bit extreme and eclectic in style, but good fun. It won't bore you, that's for sure.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back