News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Do People Like Aiken Because it is Cheap and Easy?
« on: May 01, 2013, 05:05:03 PM »
Aiken was beloved by our group in the Dixie Cup and has received positive reviews from those that have ventured to visit since that time.  I found it to be a pleasant place to play but did not see it as a fabulous golf course by any means.  The primary features on that stood out on the golf course for me were how tightly it is squeezed between housing and how interesting the double green for the 1st/17th is.

I still loved playing there.  In part I loved shooting a good score.  In part I loved that it did not cost much to play there.  In part, I liked the tiny clubhouse and the people that worked there.

Does the course get undue love because of these factors?  If so, should we all be playing from the short tees at our courses?

I didn't want to rain on the other thread so I started this one.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 05:08:15 PM by Jason Topp »

Mark Bourgeois

Re: Do People Like Aiken Because it is Cheap and Easy?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 05:12:03 PM »
The soft bigotry of low expectations, huh?

Actually, I like it because it's fast (pace of play) and interesting. UK style. And, yes, we all should play from the short tees every now and then, although the routing and scale won't be nice and tight.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Phil McDade

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 05:45:14 PM »
Jason:

For what it's worth, I take a (very) small amount of credit for introducing Aiken to the GCA crowd via this thread, that asked several years ago for the best course in the country under $25: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,31437.0.html (reply #35, from Doug Spets).

I haven't played it, but based on several photo threads, the course seems to offer several things that I think are worthy of consideration as an interesting course: fast and firm conditions, interesting topography, and some terrific greens (and green surrounds).

For my tastes, length (meaning: overall length of a course) is maybe the singular most over-rated factor when assessing the merits of a course. What's far more important, I think, is what the course demands of your game, and in particular whether the course demands a variety of shots from your game. This scorecard: http://www.aikengolfclub.com/course.php suggests Aiken does this in spades, with some longish par 3s, shortish par 5s, and an interesting assortment of par 4s. Of course, everyone's game is different, but I can see myself using perhaps every club in the bag in going around the course (both, off the tee, and on approach shots). The tight corridors and smallish greens also suggest your recovery game will come in handy at times.

What's not to like?

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 06:00:35 PM »
What's not to like?

Phil:  I like the course.  I just do not see much about it that makes it different from a thousand other charming low budget golf courses in the country.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 06:16:17 PM »
Yes.  And it has some pleasant elevation changes.  And the folks are really, really nice.  As Ran once commented in reference to Pinion Hills, every community would be fortunate to have one like it.     

Mac Plumart

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 06:23:17 PM »
Very interesting greens;

Good walk;

Interesting bunkering;

Great vibe and charm.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Phil McDade

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 06:35:32 PM »
What's not to like?

Phil:  I like the course.  I just do not see much about it that makes it different from a thousand other charming low budget golf courses in the country.

Jason:

A thousand? Really? That means -- on average -- there are 20 similarly good low-budget courses (for sake of argument, let's make it $30 a round tops) in every state. Your home state and mine are pretty average -- are there 20 as-good low-budget courses in Minnesota? Just based on what I've seen on the photo threads, I'm not sure there are in Wisconsin.

Dan Moore

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 06:45:08 PM »
I don't think so.  Like BMS we played there as part of our visit to Augusta.  Not many courses have the overall charm of Aiken.  I loved the homemade cookies in the snack shack.  And the land the course is on is very good.  A perfect place to play 36. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

John Shimp

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 08:24:13 PM »
Aiken is good easy fun. Has the brora/elie element to it but not near as good.

Most folks get drubbed at Palmetto and begin to feel better about themselves at Aiken.  Certainly the case at Dixie Cup.
I think its gotten way too much run around here.  Nice muni but not that special as a course.  Aiken though is a special town.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 08:31:16 PM »
After playing Palmetto and Aiken Golf Club I had one of those rare thoughts:  I could really enjoy living here.   I thought Aiken was a golf course you could always enjoy playing.  A number of the shorter holes played uphill, so the overall effect was a longer course. 

I'm really getting tired of paying $12-15,000 to play my club every year, and wish we had as much fun a $25-30 course as Aiken to play on a regular basis. 

And how much fun it must be when the train goes by!   ;D

Brent Hutto

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 08:55:58 PM »
I know of a few small-town courses of about Aiken's vintage that are charming and fun to play. Generally easy-ish, short-ish (although as Bill mentions it is common to see them have numerous upslope landing areas for tee shots to add effective length) but with enough variety to not be boring-easy. I think easy but interesting is probably at least as trick to build as hard but interesting. Aiken does a pretty good job of it.

That said, I far prefer Palmetto and in the time-honored tradition I will say my 10-round split would 9-1 Palmetto-Aiken if given the choice.

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 09:13:14 PM »
Why do people like Aiken GC?

1.cheap
2. effectively a par 68 so scores are lower
3.short
4. interesting shots and greens
5.tight layout-many courses can played at short yardages with their 5 sets of tees, but you still ahve to walk 7-8000 yards.
with a max length of 6000ish yards, there's only so far apart tees and greens can be, and the walk is greatly reduced
6. It feels old
7. the clubhouse/bar/restaurant has a great vibe
8. It's NOT a muni

regarding point #5, i had a similar discussion with my assistant today regarding junior tees.
he was stating that kids don't take up the game because it's overwhelming and they should play tees much shorter than the ladies tees, perhaps 150-200 yards for par 4's.
I countered that if I had to walk 300-400 yards from every green to the next tee, I most certainly wouldn't want to play golf, and that's what we're asking kids to do with tees at the 150 markers.
I'd rather play an extra shot or two along the way, rather than walk so far.
and if we really want holes 150 yards, we should stick a cup near the 150 marker and turn one regular hole into two to double the holes played for the walk,
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mac Plumart

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 09:18:47 PM »

Tom ORourke

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
I moved from the Philadelphia area to Aiken around one year ago. I live in Woodside Plantation which has 2 clubs. My club has a Rees Jones course and a Bob Cupp course. The other club inside Woodside has a Nicklaus Group course and 10 completed holes of a Fuzzy Zoeller course in, with the rest of the holes to come in another year or so. There is another development 10 miles south of town called Cedar Creek which has a fairly good course by Arthur Hills. They were struggling and the owner of the Aiken Golf Club recently bought the course. Now if you live there you get a dual membership of Cedar Creek and Aiken Golf Club. Pretty good deal.
Aiken is not Philadelphia in any way, but it is a really neat town with some pretty cool places to play. We are only 20 miles from ANGC and have the same topography so, as one member said, 150 yards is never 150 yards. And I have yet to find anyone who played Aiken Golf Club and did not enjoy it. The city championship is held there each year and is always a highlight. And my taxes are less than 20% of what I paid up north, so I am staying.

Michael Whitaker

DRe: Do People Like Aiken Because it is Cheap and Easy?
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 09:25:56 PM »
Aiken is one of the very few courses in SC that has naturally crumpled ground like you might find in the UK. As I think about it, Aiken might be the ONLY SC course with this type of playing ground. It is one of the reasons that most golfers find the place unique, as they are not used to seeing a fairway that looks like their morning newspaper after the dog has wallowed on it!

Aiken is popular because it is FUN. Yes, it has a lot of short fours, but the threes are all you can handle. It's not as much about challenge as it is about having a good time without getting beat up. Why do we always equate "good" with "hard?"

You guys talk a good game, but I've seen most of you play!  ;D I don't remember too many of you breaking the course record at Aiken when we held the Dixie Cup there. What I remember is players not believing they didn't shoot a better score on such a short course.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Adam Clayman

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 09:32:03 PM »
It has history too. When I played there in the mid 80's, I was told how Hogan would warm up for the masters at Aiken. The stretch of long Par 4's was his biggest reason. So, If Aiken is easy, it must be a function of the uncontrolled I&B.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

jeffwarne

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 09:36:18 PM »
I moved from the Philadelphia area to Aiken around one year ago. I live in Woodside Plantation which has 2 clubs. My club has a Rees Jones course and a Bob Cupp course. The other club inside Woodside has a Nicklaus Group course and 10 completed holes of a Fuzzy Zoeller course in, with the rest of the holes to come in another year or so. There is another development 10 miles south of town called Cedar Creek which has a fairly good course by Arthur Hills. They were struggling and the owner of the Aiken Golf Club recently bought the course. Now if you live there you get a dual membership of Cedar Creek and Aiken Golf Club. Pretty good deal.
Aiken is not Philadelphia in any way, but it is a really neat town with some pretty cool places to play. We are only 20 miles from ANGC and have the same topography so, as one member said, 150 yards is never 150 yards. And I have yet to find anyone who played Aiken Golf Club and did not enjoy it. The city championship is held there each year and is always a highlight. And my taxes are less than 20% of what I paid up north, so I am staying.

Tom,
Cedar Creek is a pretty solid golf course and is no doubt the perfect compliment to Aiken GC.
A better player seeking a bit more length variety could get all he wanted there, then return to the intimacy of Aiken GC.

Adam
Are you thinking of Palmetto?
no stretch of long 4's ever at Aiken GC as long as I've been playing dating back to 1978
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Adam Clayman

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 10:18:49 PM »
oops, nevermind. thanx Jeff.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Lou_Duran

Re: DRe: Do People Like Aiken Because it is Cheap and Easy?
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 10:37:43 PM »
You guys talk a good game, but I've seen most of you play!  ;D I don't remember too many of you breaking the course record at Aiken when we held the Dixie Cup there. What I remember is players not believing they didn't shoot a better score on such a short course.

Must you make it so personal Mr. Whitaker?

Ok, I did shoot 94 at Palmetto the day before.  I'm a crappy player.  But somehow I managed to shoot 74 at Aiken with two doubles on the back due to a careless short game.  I suppose you're right though; I should have scored better.

Jason Topp

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 11:04:07 PM »
Jason:

A thousand? Really? That means -- on average -- there are 20 similarly good low-budget courses (for sake of argument, let's make it $30 a round tops) in every state. Your home state and mine are pretty average -- are there 20 as-good low-budget courses in Minnesota? Just based on what I've seen on the photo threads, I'm not sure there are in Wisconsin.

I will bite.  This is off the top of my head without research.  I don't know if these courses are under $30 but I bet they are under $40.  I know their price is low enough that I would not check the price before deciding to play there.  If given a choice between one of these courses and Aiken, I would be happy either way:

Minnesota:

Dahlgreen
Wapicada
Koronis Hills
Lester Park
Enger
Clouquet Country Club
Faribault Country Club
Northfield Country Club ( a bit iffy on price and no longer a 5700 yard par 69 due to recent work)
Bunker Hills
Keller
Gross National
Leseur
Crow River
Purple Hawk
Inverwood
Baker National
Links of Northfork
Greystone
Majestic Oaks (the older 18.  not sure what it is called)
Meadowbrook
Fox Hollow (orignal 18)
Mississippi Dunes (many from Minnesota would fight me on this one but I like it as much as Aiken)
The one in Stillwater, MN (can't remember the name)

Here are a two bonus Wisconsin courses near the twin cities I would list as similar in quality at affordable prices:

New Richmond
River Oaks

So yes, at least in my view, a thousand is about right.

Sean_A

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2013, 03:01:52 AM »
I never played Aiken, but if I was in the area the photo tours have convinced me its worth stopping in.  CHEAP AND CHEERFUL goes a long way in this world.  I too have played with a lot of GCAers on not overly difficult courses and I can't think of one that has dominated a golf course or even been too good to play a course.  People too often ask if a course is great.  The questions should be 1)Is a course good enough?  2)Van it be enjoyed and be challenging without boredom setting in after a handful of plays?  I understand if folks have a higher threshold, thats their prerogative, but I promise that attitude will mean a lot of interesting golf that isn't close to great is skipped.  Someone mentioned Brora earlier.  That is a prime case in point; nothing close to great, but it doesn't matter a tosh.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jason Topp

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2013, 07:37:02 AM »

I must admit this picture is a pretty convincing argument.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2013, 08:52:47 AM »
I liked Aiken, but do fall in the camp of its not as great as some crack it up to be because of it's MacKenzie history.  On the other hand, a course with great setting, ambiance, and pleasant enough to play every day is all 99% of golf courses need to be......It is a little better than most of the 20 Jason lists in MN, but I see his point.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mac Plumart

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2013, 09:14:16 AM »
I"m really not sure I've seen many people call Aiken "great".  Rather most see it as good, or good enough as Sean says, with a great ambiance, interesting greens, walkable, affordable, not long for long's sake, and all around well done. 

Another thing I like about it, is that it doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is; a good local course.  It doesn't pretend to be a "Championship" lay out, it isn't a country club for a day, it is just a good local golf course that anyone can play, anytime they want, and not get over-charged.

Golf needs more courses/facilities like this.

John Shimp

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2013, 09:17:21 AM »
Jeff,
Not sure Aiken has Mackenzie history?  In fact I don't know who designed it?  Was called Highland Park for a long time.

You are probably referring to Palmetto which is a mile away and has Herbert Leeds/Mackenzie history.  I am biased but Palmetto is more than its cracked up to be.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back