News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith Doleshel

Course records from different eras
« on: August 09, 2013, 01:50:18 PM »
Webb Simpson tied Oak Hill's course record previously set by Ben Hogan in 1942 and Curtis Strange in 1989 at the PGA by shooting 64.  Is there any way to compare course records from different eras?  The Oak Hill that Hogan played has to be a much different course than the one that Simpson played today, and it's impossible to compare the game today against 71 years ago.  Even Strange played much different equipment in 1989 that Simpson is playing.  

Just thought I'd see what you guys thought about it.

Matthew Petersen

Re: Course records from different eras
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 04:03:58 PM »
The Hogan record especially did kind of jump out at me.

I don't quibble too much about different equipment eras, but when a course undergoes significant changes it does seem to be an interesting point. But, then, it's up to the course. Some will be proud of changes they make and look at the course as an all new creation. Obviously a course like Oak Hill has a lot invested in their history and so prefers to consider that all is still essentially the same.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 05:33:36 PM »
The course and equipment are so different I think you'd be hard pressed to make the argument that Hogan's 64 and Simpson's 64 bear any more relation to each other than a 64 at Oak Hill today and a 64 next spring at ANGC.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 06:01:26 PM »
Well, that didn't last long...  :o
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back