News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bryan Izatt

The Sun Also Shines in Brora (All 18 holes now up)
« on: April 30, 2013, 01:59:26 PM »
Well, at least some times.  I have played Brora a handful of times and inevitably I got drenched and blown away by a passing squall somewhere in the back nine including one time my umbrella was shredded in one of those squalls and I foolishly was out without rain pants.  Fast forward to September 2011, after a fine match with David Tepper at Royal Dornoch, I headed up to Brora for a late afternoon round.  Surprisingly, it was sort of sunny with a gentle (for Scotland) breeze, which led to a glorious 18 with nary a squall, and a great opportunity to take pictures.

What struck me this time was how good and interesting the greens were.  And, for a course that may seem rustic with the electric fences and livestock is kept in very good condition.  From the club website, a brief description of the course:

Gleneagles may be more glamorous, Carnoustie more prestigious. It is Brora which is the most northerly golf memorial to James Braid in his native Scotland.

Brora is also the headquarters of the James Braid Golfing Society, and while its President, Peter Thomson, and fellow member Ronan Rafferty annually enthuse, the club golfer, the bedrock of the game, will derive equal pleasure and satisfaction from Brora's 6110 yards.

Given 194 acres of Scottish links land to work on, what in 1923 was entitled "Braid's Plan" is hardly altered. Here the visitor will enjoy the mixture of bent grass and beach sand, burn water and gorse in glorious yellow May bloom. There is even a railway which comes into play from the tenth tee.

With the exception of the short sixth, the outward nine holes follow the contour of Kintradwell Bay in the foreground, with a backdrop of the Sutherland foothills from Ben Bhraggie to the west, away to the Ord of Caithness in the north-east.

The inward nine holes follow the fence line of the bordering croft land, with out of bounds to concentrate the mind. Of the two short holes, the delightful 13th, Snake, winds back towards the sea, whilst the 18th contains all the concerns of protecting a score against a bunkered green a two hundred yard carry away and under the scrutiny of the clubhouse windows.

And, the scorecard.

From the first tee a view northward looking down the first fairway (snaking out to the right) and over the 18th tee and 17th green to the brooding Sutherland hills in the distance.  Not exactly sunny, but promising.  (Click through images may be larger than your screen)

The 1st is an inviting short par 4 dogleg right where the green beckons seductively from across the fescue covered dune rough.  It is further than it looks but how can you resist going for it.  But, it is the first tee.  A more prudent play is to lay up down the fairway and then pitch up to the severely canted green.

The 2nd is a slight dogleg right with a hidden depression a little past 200 yards off the tee that requires some consideration.

The second shot into the green is reasonably benign although the green appears to tilt from right to left.

The 3rd is a kick in the head long par 4 after two short starting holes.  The tee shot is blind and the aiming pole looks too far left of where it feels like you should aim.  The hole is called Canal for a reason.  Although it is a dry canal, the depression in the fairway is not much more than 200 yards off the tee requiring some decision making about whether you should attempt to carry it.  If not, it is a very long second to the green.

The second from just short of the canal shows the green sitting just beyond another depression.

From closer in, the fairway short of the green appears to go left to right while the green appears level. It gets confusing.

The 4th is another short par 4 with a semi-blind tee shot.  Long hitters will be thinking of driving this green if they can pick out the proper line.  The white aiming post behind the green gives the hole its name.

The green sits down in a nice dell.  Most will be thinking of a birdie on this hole.

From closer in, it's obvious that there's ample opportunity to run a long drive or short second shot into the green.

The 5th is a second long par 4 called Burn.  Not surprisingly, there is a water filled burn snaking across the fairway, again a little more than 200 yards off the tee.  The tee shot is again blind and requires a decision about carrying the burn or not.

The second shot from short of the burn.  The green is built on the side slope of a dune and is protected by the shoulder of the dune.  Everything slopes right to left.  The left side of the fairway is best for approaching the green.

The green from the bridge over the hidden burn.

The 6th is a medium length par 3 that turns at right angles inland to the outward flow of the course.

From closer in the contouring of the green is more evident.  This is a hard green to hit.

From front right, there are some interesting artifacts.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 02:05:31 AM by Bryan Izatt »

Bryan Izatt

Re: The Sun Also Shines in Brora
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 02:47:51 AM »
The 7th is another short par 4 called 2nd Burn.  Not surprisingly it has another hidden burn crossing the fairway, albeit closer to the green than the tee.  The tees are offset to the left giving the impression that a draw off the tee is the best shot.

On this day there were only cattle on the course - no sheep.  Are they done with the sheep?  The second shot is relatively harmless looking apart from the immoveable obstruction.

The 8th hole is the first and only par 5 on the course, and is not surprisingly called Long although it is far from long for a par 5 at just over 500 yards.  From the tee you are once again given an aiming post - this time on top of a ridge blocking the view of the hole and the fairway.

Upon cresting the ridge it seems that the hole is out there somewhere over the broken ground with the flag barely visible in the distance peaking over the dunes.  The fairway is to the left.

From the fairway, it is evident that the hole bends around to the right providing a second shot that requires some thought as to how to play it with another dune ridge hiding and protecting the green.

From closer in on the right edge of the fairway the green comes into view.

From closer in to the green you can see that the surrounds can funnel a ball off into the bunker left.

The 9th hole, appropriately named Sea Hole, is the end of the outgoing nine and is a shortish par 3 with the sea as a backdrop.

The tenth turns back toward home, and into the prevailing winds with a long par 4.  The incoming nine will provide a stiffer test.  From the tee there are a couple of small pot bunkers to worry about, and a centre-line bunker in a narrow fairway that is out of reach off the tee.  Perhaps it was intended to affect the second shot in a bygone era.

The second shot with the centre-line bunker in the foreground.

The green form the left side sloping down off the dune.  There are some tough putts here for birdie if in fact you can reach the green in regulation.

The 11th is another long par 4 headed back into the wind and back across the 2nd burn.  From an elevated tee on top of a dune the fairway is laid out in front of you - a break from the blind drives of the front nine.  There is an interesting hump in the fairway parallel with a bunker left.

Closer up look at the hump and bunker.  Clearly you want to be past here to have a view of the next shot.

From near the end of the fairway you are presented with a daunting second shot - a hidden burn in the foreground followed by a wildly rumpled fairway leading to a green that isn't visible in a dell.

Zoomed in from the end of the fairway, the burn is in sight, the carry over the burn to the second fairway is longer than it appeared and the ground contours are clearer if no less daunting.  To add to the fun there are two pots up near the green that are not visible and interfere with any kind of ground approach from the left.  The green remains a mystery - I didn't take any photos.

The 12th is a bit of a respite as a shortish par 4.  The green is offset a little left of the fairway and there is OOB close on the right providing things to think about off the tee.

You can get some strange bounces and weird lies in the heavily contoured fairways.

The green is perched and very firm with runoffs and pot bunkers.  Getting on and staying on with a short iron in hand is an achievement.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 02:35:52 AM by Bryan Izatt »

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 09:17:56 AM »
Brora...a wee cracker of the highest order! No trip to the Northern Highlands for golf is complete without a spin around her. I've never not enjoyed the golf there, even when the weather was shite. The links game in one of its purest presentations, "jolly golf" is the term that leaps into my mind whenever that wonderful course(and welcoming club membership!) is mentioned.

For those heading to Northern Scotland....don't you dare miss it...you'll only be cheating yourself.

Cheers,

Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 10:18:49 AM »
Brora is the site of one of my favorite rounds of golf.  This is around 11 pm in late June.  We planned on playing a portion of the course and then returning but the kids wanted to keep going.  My 12 year old son is lining up a birdie putt on the difficult 18th to complete his first 18 hole round of golf.  He made par.

Jim Eder

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 10:27:33 AM »
Bryan,

Thank you for an amazing tour!! I LOVE Brora. It is really something special. I have often played 18 and because I had so much fun went out for another 18 (after I played 36 a day for the prior 3 days which is my max). I could play there every day the rest of my life and be very happy. Thanks for bringing back so many great memories of this fantastic course with your amazing photography. I can't wait to get back.

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 01:58:03 PM »
Bryan I.  & Brian S. -

I am quite sure the sheep still do roam the fairways & roughs of Brora and will do so for many years to come.

I am positive I saw them there last year.

DT

Jim Eder

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 02:50:35 PM »
David is correct. The sheep were there last year. Another enjoyable piece of the experience imo. Hopefully they will be there for years to come. The cattle were there as well.

The course was in fantastic condition last year.  Just perfect when I played. Special place.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 02:29:01 AM »
The 13th is is a very short par 3 named Snake after the burn that slithers between the tee and green.  What a beautiful little setting with a pearl strand of bunkers surrounding the green.  The hole turns 90* seaward from the rest of the inward nine.

From the right side of the green you can see how close the 14th yellow tee is to the green and how the white tee reuires a drive across the line of the 13th tee shot.

The 14th is another short par 4, this one into the prevailing wind, so while from the card it may seem possible to get near the green with your drive, it is harder that it seems.  From the tee there is another blind and intimidating drive over broken ground.

What's not apparent is that there is a precipitous thirty foot drop from the end of the fairway at a little over two hundred yards to a lower fairway and the green.  The drop is over rough ground and what kind of lie you'd get there is dicey at best.  Off the tee the question wikk be to go for the lower level or lay back on the upper tier and have this view of the green.

The tee shot on the long par 4 15th hole is again at an aiming pole up and over a ridge to a blind landing area.  Beware of the OOB tight to the right with the wind into you and to the right.

Looking back down the 15th fairway from the end of the upper tier provides an awesome view of real linksland in the evening sun.

On this hole the drive, for most, will get over the hill and down onto a flat and uninteresting lower fairway.  The second then is to a plateau green raised above the fairway.

The 16th is a shortish par 4 made longer by the wind and a substantial and precipitous rise up a ridge to the green.  In the photo the fairway is aff to the left while the flag can be seen poking up on top of the hill.

From the fairway right the daunting blind second shot is clear.

The 17th is a long par 4 driving off from the top of the ridge with the hole running away into the distance.  People who like holes laid out before them will like this hole.  The task on the drive is to decide whether to attempt the fairway on the narrow but higher right side of of a massive fescue covered mound in the middle of the fairway or go to the lower but wider left side.

Two looks at the green from the rumpled fairway short of the centre-line mound.

Looking back down the 17 from behind the crowned green.  This is one cracking hole.

The 18th is a long par 3 uphill to a saddle green with sharp drop offs in front and back.  Par here is a very good score.  The green is up there in the shadows under the clubhouse windows.

The swale in front of the green.  Anything short will run way back down.

From behind the green,  a last look back down magnificent linksland in the setting sunshine.

Bryan Izatt

Re: The Sun Also Shines in Brora (All 18 holes now up)
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 02:38:25 AM »

My bandwidth is back and now all 18 holes are up with click-throughs to 1600 pixel versions of the pictures.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back