News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Parker Reeves

Underrated New
« on: April 30, 2013, 10:10:32 AM »
Hello all,

Let me first introduce myself.  My name is Parker Reeves, and I thank Ran for allowing me to be a part of this great site.  I look forward to learning more and hopefully meeting some members along the way.

My first post is one that has been brought up on GCA multiple times, but I think it's time for a fresh thread.  I'm a fan of great golf courses (who isn't?) whether they were built in the 1800's or within the last year.  We hear about many courses when discussing "the greats", but I'd like to hear what you have to say about what you feel might be some underrated golf courses.  If you feel that Augusta National or Pine Valley are overrated, that is totally fine, and I have no problem with that.  Maybe you can point out some reasons that others of us might not have known.  If it's a course no one on this site has heard of but you, maybe this will awaken us to a great new place to trek towards some fine golf.  I can't wait to see what is mentioned!

Some of my underrated courses would include:

-Sunnehanna - Classic Tilly and a fantastic course in Johnstown, PA which many people might not know about if it weren't for the course.  The Sunnehanna Amateur is one of the finest Amateur events in the country.

-Harbour Town - I truly believe Harbour Town to be one of the best golf courses in the country.  Tee ball placement is paramount and being in the wrong part of the fairway can cause overhanging trees to become part of the equation.  Just looking at the PGA Tour playing this golf course makes you realize that a course doesn't have to be 7,000+ yards to be great.

-Scioto - Maybe this is a personal thing, but I don't think Scioto gets the credit it deserves.  I really feel that Oakmont offers more birdie opportunities than Scioto.  Many holes at Oakmont can leave you with a wedge in your hand, but the fairway bunkers will get you.  Scioto might be one of the best driving courses in the world and when the rough is up and the course is firm, it plays extremely hard as a 7,140 yard Par 70 from the Championship tees.  As many of you probably know, the largest US Open Sectional Qualifier is held in Columbus the Monday after The Memorial.  Last year, the 36 hole event was staged at Scioto and Ohio State's Scarlet course.  Even Par got in a playoff to make it to the Open.  That says a lot to me about how the golf course plays for some of the best players in the world.

-Oakmont - I must say, Oakmont probably gets the credit it deserves as it is always ranked very highly, but I have to say that it is one of the best designed and best conditioned courses I've ever played.  The Poa Annua works perfectly in that part of the country and Fownes did wonders in his only design.  It has truly stood the test of time and if you are ever able to play the golf course, I think it will quickly shoot up your list of favorites.

-Pacific Dunes - Wow, what a place.  I have only played Pacific and have not been able to play in Scotland/Ireland yet (hopefully this summer), but when you are here, it's like you've reached the end of the world.  Being in this area, next to the ocean and with such fine golf, it is truly a paradise for me.  I love the feeling of being disconnected and in your own little world and Pacific Dunes is a perfect example of this.  The course makes you feel like you've been transported overseas and are enjoying some of the great links of days past.  The ability to play so many different shots is truly a throwback and this resort is one place you don't want to miss.

I have more courses to write about, but I will wait to see what others have to say before I post again. 

All the best!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 08:00:40 PM by Parker Reeves »

Mark Pritchett

Re: Underrated
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 10:16:07 AM »
Welcome Parker!  Let me think about the underrated courses and reply soon.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 10:18:26 AM »
The renovation work at Southampton is quite amazing and needs to be seen and compared to what was there previously. I'd say that course is under appreciated.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 10:41:28 AM »
Welcome Parker!  Out in your direction I could argue Ballyhack is underrated.  I don't think it will be truly embraced by the masses because it is so intimidating to the average player, it is a bit quirky for the good player and won't be totally embraced here because it is such a difficult walk. 

However, the course is one of the most interesting courses I have played and the setting is terrific. 

The people there are so much fun and Lester George was such a terrific host to our group a couple of years ago that I might be biased.  If so, I am happily biased.

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 10:44:06 AM »
Parker- Interested in more of your thoughts about Harbour Town.  Do you think it's just a really good test for pros and strong players or a great design for the mid-capper as well?  I've been loathe to play it as it seems pretty tight and overhanging trees facing a good lie in the fairway isn't typically my cup of tea.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 11:18:00 AM by Jud T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Pat Burke

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 10:49:22 AM »
Wouldn't a better thought be.
Why aren't MORE people afraid to post under their real names?
 ;)

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 10:50:43 AM »
Jason-Good call on Ballyhack. 

Ted Sturges

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 10:51:24 AM »
Underrated:

Morraine Country Club (Dayton, OH)

Sara Bay Country Club  (Sarasota, FL)

Southern Pines Elks Club (Southern Pines, NC)

Broadmoor Country Club (Indianapolis, IN)

Harrison Hills Country Club (Attica, IN)

TS

Jason Topp

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 10:52:58 AM »
Jason-Good call on Ballyhack. 

Great Captains bring the best out of courses.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 10:59:54 AM »
Every Ross course I've played in the state of North Carolina.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 11:13:02 AM »
Every Ross course I've played in the state of North Carolina.

So true! 

Greg Tallman

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 11:17:10 AM »
Luray Caverns GC  ;)

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 11:18:16 AM »
Habour Town..great lay out but the proximity of all those houses kills the place for me.
One of the most dissapointed courses I have played, I simply could not believe how many properties stiffled what is otherwise a superb layout.
I felt as though I was playing between the houses rather than the houses been outside the golf course.

Underated...to me the MOST underated cousre in America is Pine Dunes in Texas.

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 11:26:05 AM »
Homer bias aside, I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a better course than Kingsley not listed in either Golf Magazine or Golf Digest's top 100.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Chris DeToro

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »
I actually think Harbour Town is properly rated based on the proximity of the homes and resort to the golf course.  Minus that, I would totally agree that it is underrated. 

My underrated list:

Kingsley
Prairie Dunes
Inverness
Monterrey Peninsula CC

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 11:59:37 AM »
Copake CC in Copake Lake, NY. It's the shortest "complete" (i.e. tests all your clubs and shots) course I know of, with a great long par three at #5 and some awesome drivable par fours. It is on a cool piece of land overlooking a lovely summer lake community. It costs $25 to walk after 2 pm on a weekend and $20 (!!!) anytime on a Tuesday.

TPC River Highlands in Cromwell, CT. It's a TPC course, which can carry a stigma among some, but the course has a fantastic mix of holes that tests all facets of the game and does not seem to favor any one sort of golf. It gives you chances to make birdies and even an eagle and makes you struggle for pars elsewhere. I still haven't played a better drivable par four than the 15th and the second is one of the most darling drive-and-pitch two-shotters I've seen.

Welcome to the (usually) merry band, Parker. I played golf just down the road at W&L and we beat the Dukes straight-up in a one-day match one morning my junior year down at Lexington G&CC. Then we nearly got swept in the afternoon in match play!
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Parker Reeves

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 12:56:57 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the replies.  I hope we see a whole lot more!

Mark- Thanks for the kind welcome.  I'm excited to be here!

Mac and BMS- I haven't had the fortune to play Southampton or Black Creek but they both look fantastic.

Jason- I've heard great things about Ballyhack but haven't made my way down yet.  It is definitely on my list to play.

Jud- Let me preface by saying I might (unintentionally) have a biased when thinking about Harbour Town.  I still play professionally in PGA Section and mini-tour events (I haven't played NGA in a little over a year) so that could tweak my thinking a little bit.  However, I still feel like Harbour Town can be very fun and enjoyable for the mid-high handicap for multiple reasons.  One, the scenery of the last 3 holes is gorgeous.  While the rest of the course is mostly in the woods, the last 3 near the water and a welcome view.  Two, most of the trees that overhang the fairways are fairly tall.  Most (definitely not all) mid-high handicaps do not have the swing speed to hit the ball the same height as tour players.  This leaves an avenue for those players to play most of their shots under the trees without much worry.  The green complexes are very interesting and the Par 3s at HT are truly great.

Ted, Mark, Greg, Michael, Chris, and Tim-  Thank you very much for the suggestions and welcome.  As a NC native, I can relate with the Ross comments.  A friend of mine from college worked at TPC River Highlands.  The show they put on for the PGA Tour looks really neat.  I think the players love it.

We had a Kingsley member or two when I was at Scioto.  I heard nothing but fantastic things about the property from everyone I know that went there.  I have a strong desire to make my way there soon!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 01:03:48 PM »
Parker, my son and older daughter spent approximately 1989 -1995 at JMU.  We lived in Fairfax VA then so visited the 'Burg from time to time.  I have to say I was pretty disappointed with the quality of golf in that immediate area.  Has that improved?  Where do the JMU teams play and practice?

Welcome to GCA.com, and Go Dukes!

Tom Allen

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 03:14:10 PM »
Welcome Parker.  I can't comment personally on Scioto, but have heard nothing but fabulous things about it.  I do think Moraine, as someone mentioned above, is a true sleeper.  Right next door in Dayton, NCR shows up on only one of the three major lists (Golf Week classic), and I think it is a great test of golf, with some great history as well.

Sorry mine are from SW Ohio (a homer), but those courses are the only underrated courses I have had the chance to play (because of their proximity to me).

And I love Harbour Town as well.

Tom

Chris DeToro

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 03:33:49 PM »
Great call on NCR and Moraine being underrated.  I played Moraine in an Ohio Am qualifier years ago and those were some of the toughest greens I've ever seen.  In tournament conditions, they were lightning fast especially with those slopes--I saw someone four-putt from 5 feet.  Granted he still ended up at even par and qualifying while I struggled home :-)  I've never played it, but have also heard great things about Springfield CC too. 

Tom, have you ever played Windy Knoll around Springfield? 

David Amarnek

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 03:52:51 PM »
Westwood CC in St. Louis.
Under the radar, even here in the Gateway City.  It often gets confused with our original course (Westborough CC) and never appears on any state rankings (thankfully!).
Historic club in many ways.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 04:16:14 PM »
Welcome to the madness Parker!

Some of my biggest underrated courses:

Eastward Ho!
Charles River CC
Atlantic City CC
LuLu CC

Mark
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 04:18:19 PM by Mark McKeever »
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Jim Nugent

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2013, 11:55:38 PM »
Westwood CC in St. Louis.
Under the radar, even here in the Gateway City.  It often gets confused with our original course (Westborough CC) and never appears on any state rankings (thankfully!).

David, Westwood used to be where Westborough is now? 

I haven't played the newer St. Louis courses, but Westwood used to be my second favorite in St. Louis, not so far behind SLCC.  Thought it was easily better than Bellerive and Old Warson. 

Sam Morrow

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 01:14:34 AM »
Pine Dunes has already been mentioned, Old American is vastly underrated, as is The Wilderness. I think Austin Golf Club also goes very quietly under the radar.

mike_beene

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2013, 01:47:24 AM »
The one that always seems underrated to me is Pine Needles.The best use of ridges and small hills I have seen

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back