News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Sean_A

Re: Annapolis Golf Club
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2014, 07:09:29 PM »
What a shame Joe.  I still recall stumbling across this course before I ever heard of MacRayBanks and thinking its a damn fine and unusual course.  That would have to be circa 1990 while visiting a friend at St John's.  I still think very fondly of Annapolis even though I haven't been back since.  Could it really be 24 years? 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2014, 01:00:43 PM »
Perhaps this has been posted at some other time, you'll have to live through it again if it has.  ;)

http://thelifeofanangloamerican.blogspot.com/2014/01/annapolis-roads-on-chesapeake-bay.html
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Stephen Britton

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2016, 03:46:44 PM »
Just spent the afternoon walking Annapolis Golf Club. It's such a shame this piece of American golf course architecture history will soon be dozed over. Even though it's not being maintained today, you can still clearly see all of the original features. It's literally untouched from what I can tell of the original design. I walked it hole by hole using the 1940 aerial on my iphone and read each hole description using the article posted by Jim Kennedy. For anyone living in the area I highly recommend seeing these holes before they are gone forever.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 03:57:50 PM by Stephen Britton »
"The chief object of every golf architect or greenkeeper worth his salt is to imitate the beauties of nature so closely as to make his work indistinguishable from nature itself" Alister MacKenzie...

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2016, 07:29:55 PM »
Just spent the afternoon walking Annapolis Golf Club. It's such a shame this piece of American golf course architecture history will soon be dozed over. Even though it's not being maintained today, you can still clearly see all of the original features. It's literally untouched from what I can tell of the original design. I walked it hole by hole using the 1940 aerial on my iphone and read each hole description using the article posted by Jim Kennedy. For anyone living in the area I highly recommend seeing these holes before they are gone forever.

Thanks for posting this. I have been in Annapolis a bunch over the last year and assumed it was "dozed over". I am back on May 11th, and I will try to sneak over.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Pete Wendt

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2016, 09:38:15 PM »
The most amazing thing to me is that the Historical Society won't let you tear down your shed if it is deemed to have historical "significance", but they are more than willing to let an untouched classic get dozed over for ballparks and tennis courts. This is truly a shame. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 09:47:34 PM by Pete Wendt »

Stephen Britton

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2016, 12:32:52 PM »
The most amazing thing to me is that the Historical Society won't let you tear down your shed if it is deemed to have historical "significance", but they are more than willing to let an untouched classic get dozed over for ballparks and tennis courts. This is truly a shame.

Apparently the residents have appealed the decision again.

http://www.capitalgazette.com/news/ph-ac-cn-key-school-0105-20160104-story.html

Seems like this is something the historical society of Annapolis needs to be aware of.

http://www.annapolis.org/about-us/history
"The chief object of every golf architect or greenkeeper worth his salt is to imitate the beauties of nature so closely as to make his work indistinguishable from nature itself" Alister MacKenzie...

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2016, 06:18:45 PM »
I lived in the Annapolis area for 35 years and played the course once. For connoisseurs it was fun to see and study, once. Residents had an opportunity to purchase and develop it but didn't want to invest in what seemed like a losing project.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2021, 08:55:18 PM »
Has anyone played the course after the renovations?
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2021, 10:11:26 PM »

The course is no more, it’s now a park with ball fields on the western side.

We’re you thinking of the USNA course?

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2021, 03:37:19 PM »

The course is no more, it’s now a park with ball fields on the western side.

We’re you thinking of the USNA course?

Of course, what was I thinking?
St. John of the Cross

MCirba

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2021, 05:00:10 PM »
Tommy,

Joe Bausch and I were down this past fall.

The work is very well done, particularly the tree clearing.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2021, 05:49:09 PM »
I'll have to get there this spring. I always liked the course but thought it could be pretty special. The greens the same? Some, like one, had a bunch of slope.
St. John of the Cross

MCirba

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2021, 09:05:49 AM »
I'll have to get there this spring. I always liked the course but thought it could be pretty special. The greens the same? Some, like one, had a bunch of slope.

Tommy,

I had only played once prior but my impression is that the greens are similar, with more hole locations and possibly slightly less overall slope in spots.

Definitely worth a visit if only for the new Uber Reverse redan 12th, which is stellar.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2021, 09:08:31 AM »

Tommy,

I had only played once prior but my impression is that the greens are similar, with more hole locations and possibly slightly less overall slope in spots.

Definitely worth a visit if only for the new Uber Reverse redan 12th, which is stellar.

Oh, interesting. Previously, it was just a long par three with an uninteresting green.
St. John of the Cross

MCirba

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2021, 10:52:40 AM »
Tommy,

Not sure when you were there last but previously for me two years back it was a downhill, mid-length par four with the green up on an embankment above the low point near the next tee.

Now it is a downhill reverse  redan of 250 yards (tips out at 300) with a 38 yard long green falling hard from front left to back right.  It is arguably the best hole on the course these days, with lots of competition.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back