News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Congratulations to Jim, Steve 1, Brian and Steve 2.

http://www.thegolfwire.com/stories/286215

I really enjoyed this course. Unfortunately, my camera did not a few years back, so I have no photos.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mike Sweeney

Re: Paramount Country Club as seen by "the influential golf website"
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 10:08:44 AM »
Many of golf's sharpest critics agree. On the influential website Golf Club Atlas (goflclubatlas.com), comments filed as the work progressed include, "What a phenomenal restoration job!" and "certain hidden gem status." Members of Golf Club Atlas will experience the finished product in a special outing on July 2, one day after Paramount hosts qualifying for the Met Amateur, one of the most prestigious events in the Metropolitan area.

I must be on the "B" team or the invite went into my spam folder  :D

Unfortunately, I am doing college tours with my son that week, but I do want to get back and see the now finished product. I really liked Paramount before the renovation and Steve Slapper explained the changes, which really did sound great.

Steve 1 or 2,

What was the final outcome of the tee shot over the road, a par 5 if I remember?

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 02:55:39 PM »
July 2.  Hmmm...  They must have known I'd be in Nebraska at the 5th Major!

But seriously, I love the work that's going on there, and wish them nothing but success.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 09:18:14 PM »
Many of golf's sharpest critics agree. On the influential website Golf Club Atlas (goflclubatlas.com), comments filed as the work progressed include, "What a phenomenal restoration job!" and "certain hidden gem status." Members of Golf Club Atlas will experience the finished product in a special outing on July 2, one day after Paramount hosts qualifying for the Met Amateur, one of the most prestigious events in the Metropolitan area.

I must be on the "B" team or the invite went into my spam folder  :D

Unfortunately, I am doing college tours with my son that week, but I do want to get back and see the now finished product. I really liked Paramount before the renovation and Steve Slapper explained the changes, which really did sound great.

Steve 1 or 2,

What was the final outcome of the tee shot over the road, a par 5 if I remember?

Sweens,

Failing to make  a "court-of-opinion" appearence and your unexcused absence at the "moron" dinner......all grounds to reduce you to the "D" Team!! Seriously, I've I invited you a half-dozen times and you always have another excuse  :) You really need to come up to see what we've done so I'll go ahead and invite you one more time.

For the record, we've solved #7 on an interim basis, building new tee boxes lower down the hill and even a few on the green side of the 7, making it a drivable four par. The end of the fairway large left-side bunker has been extended 1/3 ingot the fairway and  the left green side bunker removed.

I don't know how long this hole will remain in its preset form. Ideally, I'd like to lose #'s1 &#7 completely . Zukor Road is too damn busy and crossing it 2x isn't fun. Who knows?, but it's final solution will eventually spawn from JC Urbina, not his amateur architect buddy, Steve 1.5.

More to follow on our July 2nd soirée!

S
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 05:54:32 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 10:52:05 PM »
It's always nice to hear positive stories about golf courses and golf clubs that are able to realize a vision. Congrats to all involved in the rebirth of the Paramount Country Club!

PThomas

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 02:07:32 PM »
Congrats all!!!!!!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 07:04:51 PM »
Laura  and I played Paramount a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.  I found it to have great bones, and I know Jim's doing a fab job up there.  Congrats to Steve and Paramount!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 09:12:18 AM »

For the record, we've solved #7 on an interim basis, building new tee boxes lower down the hill and even a few on the green side of the 7, making it a drivable four par. The end of the fairway large left-side bunker has been extended 1/3 ingot the fairway and  the left green side bunker removed.

I don't know how long this hole will remain in its preset form. Ideally, I'd like to lose #'s1 &#7 completely . Zukor Road is too damn busy and crossing it 2x isn't fun. Who knows?, but it's final solution will eventually spawn from JC Urbina, not his amateur architect buddy, Steve 1.5.

I like #7 but I realize it is a nightmare for the club and a godsend for the club's lawyers.

Spring is here for sure today...

JC Urbina

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 12:58:37 AM »
Ronald,

I was asked to comment on the restoration of Paramount.  I would simply say that this golf course benefited from many factors.

Several of the keys components that Tillinghast wrote about in his book “The Course Beautiful” were evident in the routing of the golf course.

An owner who embraced history and appreciated who Tillinghast was and what he had done for golf in the greater New York area.

A piece of property that was unlike any other north of the city, several vistas that provided distance views towards the Hudson River Valley and High Tor mountains yet very walk able especially coming home.

Golf course superintendent Brian Chapin who never had a bad day, always eager to make a difference in the construction side as well as the everyday agronomics.  His staff, Jon, Derek and the Haverstraw boys putting in long hours. 

Shapers that put in the creative touch at every turn of the bucket, George Waters, Tony Russell, Jeff Stein, and Ryan " Tippy" Yonce.

I guess I am trying to point out like Bill Coore always says; it’s the crew who deserve most of the credit.  I am sure Tillinghast would have said the same thing about the construction crews that he worked with.

Long after the restoration is complete Brian and crew will continue to make the place better then it ever was. For me the golf course superintendent is the key to many of these restorations.  Someone has to make sure that day in and day out all of the work goes for not.

Thanks for letting me point out the real stars in the business.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 01:32:33 PM »
^^^
This is the type of post that makes this site great.  Thanks, Jim!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 08:28:44 PM »
I had the chance to play my 18 with Brian. When he is swinging that draw properly, he can flat-out play.

We saw the course just prior to the onset of the real work by the crew. For me, it will be like going back to Taconic, as it was going back to #2...when you see the course after the restoration, to compare it to the before, you have great fortune.

Such a great area of the northeast. Along the Hudson, the Palisades, the parkway...just awesome land. Don't know why anyone thought moving west was a good idea...
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 01:22:47 PM »
Ron - the movie industry moved west because LA had a lot more sunshine, critical for early filmmaking.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 11:08:23 PM »
What does the movie industry have to do with westward emigration?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 03:38:32 PM »
You do know why it's called Paramount, right?  :)

I thought you were talking about the original owner moving west, not people in general.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back