News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

A different take on Bandon
« on: April 23, 2013, 01:54:28 PM »
So I suggested Bandon Dunes as possible destination to my travel-crazy wife... and these two responses came up first when she researched it on Yahoo Trip Advisor. She read them out loud to a group of couples, and it really was pretty funny. I think these comments are fairly representative of US golfers who only like soft, cushy parkland courses!

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-7010249-bandon_dunes_golf_resort_bandon-i

(printed below)

Cured!

By A Yahoo! Contributor, 8/27/10

Maybe your passion for golf is getting in the way of the rest of your life? Wife, family, job - all suffering from your lack of attention? I recommend a few days on the golf courses at Bandon Dunes. Play all four courses now - no cheating. Start with Pacific Dunes for your baptism in 30 - 50 mph winds. Fun, eh? Then maybe to the Bandon Dunes course for more wind and just to confirm that all the greens here are going to be ridiculously big and the surfaces too hard to handle anything but a putter from 50 yards in. On the most benign of mornings you might actually enjoy Old McDonald except for e-i-e-i-o those last four holes designed to remind you that this resort prides itself on bringing its guests to their knees. But on your last day, for your last round, be sure to walk Ben Crenshaw's unputtable, unplayable Bandon Trails. Ben, et. al., pride themselves on not moving much dirt to build this course. Hint: buy some shovels, boys, and start with the greens. These greens are so huge, hard and hilly that getting down in two when you finally do get the ball to stay on the "putting" surface is a world-class achievement. Rumor has it that Ben himself has yet to part #14. Nice vistas? You bet - above average grandeur! But this is hardly golf, no matter how Scottish-this or Irish-that you want to pretend it is. So, if you're a single-digit handicapper who enjoys shooting in the 90s and you love windburn and chap lips, make the jumbled up reservations that are required to reach this place (considering the convoluted travel arrangements required to get here, it's easier to get to Scotland or Ireland). Otherwise, consider this medicinal, an effective cure for your addiction to the game. I'm taking two weeks off, then I'm going to quit.

Was this review helpful? (Yes — No) Report a problem

0 of 2 Yahoo! Users found this review helpful

ATMOSPHERE (5)

VALUE (1)

USER RATING
Overrated

By Latham, 10/14/09

Given the quality of the greens and fairways, Bandon Dunes is highly overrated and not worth $220 per round. I stayed 2 nights in mid Oct and played three days with rounds on Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes and Old McDonald (10 hole preview) and was very disappointed. The greens were all hard, sandy and bare. The fairways were thin and dry. I learned from our caddie that they mow the fairways once a week which tells you the grass doesn't grow very well. If you appreciate well maintained courses you will be disappointed. I played Pine Valley two weeks ago and can tell you there is no comparison. Bandon seems to be resting on their laurels and my guess is things are catching up with them as it was not very busy and there were lots of open tee times. With so many other great options around the country, given the difficulty in getting there and the poor condition of the courses, I would go elsewhere. I will not be back any time soon.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 01:57:31 PM by Bill Brightly »

Ted Sturges

Re: A different take on Bandon
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 02:04:51 PM »
I think I played through that guy on my last trip out there.  He was the one limping due to the blisters on his feet...because he had never actually walked 4 consecutive rounds in his life.

Lots of people call themselves "golfers"...pretenders like the folks who wrote those "reviews" above reveal themselves as "ugly Americans".  You see them occassionally in the UK as well.  They don't really understand golf (give me green and lush playing conditions!, no wind...and a golf cart!).  I hope the one dude above was serious in his statement that he would take 2 weeks off and quit.  Everyone is better served in that outcome.

I will look forward to my future trips to places like Oregon, Nova Scotia and the UK.

William_G

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 02:15:02 PM »
hahahaha
It's all about the golf!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 02:27:46 PM »
I have never played at Bandon but if it is harder than PV, which I have played it would surprise me. Still, the comments about the condition shows how difficult it is for people used to American style golf to see beyond the colour to the appreciate the playing surfaces.

Jon
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 02:29:24 PM by Jon Wiggett »

JLahrman

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 02:29:28 PM »
Lots of people call themselves "golfers"...pretenders like the folks who wrote those "reviews" above reveal themselves as "ugly Americans".  You see them occassionally in the UK as well.  They don't really understand golf (give me green and lush playing conditions!, no wind...and a golf cart!).  I hope the one dude above was serious in his statement that he would take 2 weeks off and quit.  Everyone is better served in that outcome.

I will look forward to my future trips to places like Oregon, Nova Scotia and the UK.

Obviously there is a large cross-section of golfers to whom Bandon would not appeal, but I don't know that saying they're not "golfers" is accurate.

I love the point that Bandon can't compare to Pine Valley. If PV is your benchmark, prepare for disappointment!

Brent Hutto

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 02:51:11 PM »
JL,

Exactly. It takes a particular personality type to want to play a seaside course exposed to frequent 20-30mph winds, much less to enjoy it while it's happening. It's like saying someone who stays home when it's raining isn't a "real golfer" because they don't enjoy dressing up in half a thousand bucks worth of GoreTex and slogging through standing water and mud for four miles.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 03:15:11 PM »
Well, it's not for everybody, that's for sure.  I have a smattering of retail golfer friends who just didn't like it.  Some because of the wind, some because of the wacky big greens, some because of the remoteness and some because of the lack of carts.  It is not a resort that tries to appeal to everybody.  I have one friend whose experience actually surprised me.  He's around 68, but has been an athlete his whole life.  In great shape.  Has a lot of game.  He's a member at Shoreacres, the Raynor gem north of Chicago and still walks pretty much every round with a caddie.  He know and likes Mike Keiser, who is also a Shoreacres member.  He knows good golf.  But he positively hated his experience at Bandon Dunes because of the excessive wind and the grueling nature of the walk in the wind.  I disagree, but I understand where he's coming from.

All of the negatives that I mentioned that I have heard from others are, sometimes perversely, positive attributes to me.  To me, they whittle away the population of people that have ruined Pebble Beach on occasions for me.  Don't get me wrong I love Pebble and the resort, but I would like it a lot better if it had some of the so-called "negatives" of Bandon Dunes.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jud_T

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 03:39:46 PM »

All of the negatives that I mentioned that I have heard from others are, sometimes perversely, positive attributes to me

Agreed.  The only possible negatives to me are getting there and if you happen to catch a full week of 30+ mph winds mid summer.  The fact that Bandon makes no excuses for what it is and separates the men from the boys is one of the things that makes it so special.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 03:55:14 PM »
Thanks, Bill -

What's interesting to me is that the rant came from someone who could write: "Hint: buy some shovels, boys, and start with the greens", which, I have to admit, is the pithiest put-down of minimalism I've ever read. An articulate -- and actually nuanced -- rant, which as rants go is pretty rare.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 04:01:49 PM by PPallotta »

Terry Lavin

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 04:06:44 PM »
Thanks, Bill -

What's interesting to me is that the rant came from someone who could write: "Hint: buy some shovels, boys, and start with the greens", which, I have to admit, is the pithiest put-down of minimalism I've ever read. An articulate -- and actually nuanced -- rant, which as rants go is pretty rare.

Peter

First, we'll kill all the Redans!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 04:13:31 PM »
Ha, ha - good one, TL!

Then we'll cut the Long down to size!! I mean, that mo-fo won't know what hit it -- it'll make the Short look like Wilt effing Chamberlain!

Jud_T

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 04:16:34 PM »
I particularly like the complaints about the huge greens and the playing surface.  Perhaps one should be required to lurk here for 6 months before playing...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Will MacEwen

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 04:37:42 PM »
One thing that I have found is that the minority who do not care for Bandon really don't like it all.  Most golfers love/like it to varying degrees, and few are indifferent. 

I'm always hesitant to invite golfers who express reservations about the wind, the rain, etc. They may end up hating it, and that can bring the whole group down.

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 04:56:14 PM »
"This place is nothing like the links courses we have in Arizona"
"As longs as Pebble Beach is around, this place will never get a US Open"
"These are the worst rakes I've ever seen in my life"

Quotes from fellow that was paired with us one time there on Pacific Dunes.
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 06:36:14 PM »
No surprise at all.  There are plenty of Americans who don't enjoy golf across the pond. These guys fit into that crowd.

But, wow anyone complaining Pacific Dunes isn't like golf in Arizona really takes the cake.
Tim Weiman

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 07:01:08 PM »
"This place is nothing like the links courses we have in Arizona"
"As longs as Pebble Beach is around, this place will never get a US Open"
"These are the worst rakes I've ever seen in my life"

Quotes from fellow that was paired with us one time there on Pacific Dunes.

I'm sorry, but they are the worst rakes ever. If you are taller than say 5' 2" they require you adjust your posture enough that the old man gut is going to break your back. Moral of the story. Avoid hitting into bunkers if you haven't hired a caddy. Heck, avoid hitting into bunkers anyway.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Dave McCollum

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 03:35:49 PM »
Sounds like the golfers I know and love.  All golfers are the product of their experience.  If they see something new, something requiring a different approach to the game they know, it sucks.  The estimates of folks on this site about how many golfers fall into this category are way too low when it involves American golfers.  Unless properly introduced to links golf, ninety-some percent hate it.  I know several who think Bandon is the worst piece of crap that they have ever played.

My advice for newbies:  take a caddie, tell him on the first tee that you don’t care what you shoot, tell him you want him to teach you the clubs and shots you need, play the shots, and have fun.  If you must have a game with your pals, match play only.

Embrace the weather as part of the fun.  When we used to float the Middle Fork of the Salmon River as often as we could, and someone was wet, cold, and miserable, we’d shrug:  “So, you didn’t spend enough on your gear?”

John Kirk

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 03:38:49 PM »
Gee, I love the big bowl of root vegetables with the Fred Flintstone shank of meat after an energetic day of walking on the big bluff.  The beds are comfortable, and I usually sleep like a baby.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 04:53:50 PM »
Some of the complaints are ridiculous.  For example, why complain about the lack of carts and the lack of things to do in Bandon town--these are known or should be known prior to arrival.  The people who complain about the food or beds are pampered babies--the food is fine, well above average, and, like John K, I've never had any trouble sleeping at Bandon.  

Bandon is expensive, especially if you're not taking advantage of the replay rate.  Of course, I don't know why you would go to Bandon and not play 36 holes as much as possible.  

I can understand the weather complaints, to a degree.  I've played at Bandon in heavy rain for the majority of two consecutive days and that's not fun.  And the summer wind can be brutal, necessiting a change of mindset into survival mode.  Not everyone would want to take a chance on the variable Bandon weather and risk having a challenging experience on their vacation or once a year (or more) golf trip with their friends.  I can appreciate that.  For me, the quality of the golf makes that risk worth taking, but not everyone will agree.  
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 04:55:46 PM by Tim Pitner »

Grant Saunders

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 06:17:10 PM »
Why must everyone who visits like it?

Mike_Young

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 06:36:47 PM »
I really think this site has no idea about how so many view golf design.  It's similar to music.  The majority of the music lovers I know enjoy classic rock or country etc but could care less for classical music.  The average golfer is the same way.  And in many cases the average country club member is the same.  They equate perfect conditions etc with good design.  My personal take on Bandon is that it has done a great job of introducing the average golfer to this type of golf and more like it than dislike it. 
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Carl Rogers

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2013, 01:29:29 PM »
My first trip in 2010 was mixed.  The rough conditions and the tough walk are nothing like the Mid Atlantic USA.  I will go back in February of 2014. 

I now know what to expect.

I will walk 18 at least once a week and wear out the elliptical at the gym months ahead of time.

Taking all 14 clubs may not be the answer either.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2013, 01:38:11 PM »
Grant - I'm with you. I play 95% of my golf on links courses, most of my guests love the experience and really embrace the challenge but not everyone gets it. I understand and respect their view. Some people love rose wine and cannot stand red or drink red but not white, all humans are different. Some golfers say revetted bunkers are too severe and the punishment disproportionate yet love a green with a lake biting into the edges.  Life would be very boring if we all liked the same things.
Cave Nil Vino

Paul Gray

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 02:05:24 PM »
Not for the first time in my life I realise there is a touch of the sadist in me. I love playing golf with the architecturally ignorant. Four hours with me and they'll either appreciate what they've been taught and we'll part company as friends or they'll be furious with my continually patronising them.  ;D

It's ultimately their ego which decides the outcome.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Richard Choi

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 04:37:02 PM »
Neither side is right or wrong.

That is wrong.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back