News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Blake

Raffle to play Merion
« on: April 24, 2013, 01:11:08 PM »
This was e-mailed to me and thought I'd pass it along.  I'm not affiliated with the organization.

http://www.phillypublinks.com/raffle2013

Raffle tickets for 3-Some at Merion to support "PPGA Scholarship Fund"

The PPGA is again having a raffle for a three-some to Merion GC, host of the 2013 US Open, with proceeds benefiting the PPGA Scholarship Fund.  The round is redeemable in 2014 so it will be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to play a US Open venue.  Tickets are $10 each and the drawing will be at the PPGA Scholarship Fundraising tournament at Stonewall on November 4. Proceeds from the raffle benefit the "PPGA Scholarship Fund." More information regarding the scholarship can be found on the "PPGA Scholarship" link above.
To purchase tickets you can send a check (payable to "PPGA Scholarship Fund") for however many tickets you would like to purchase (tickets are $10 each) to:

PPGA Scholarship Fund
PO Box 882
Oaks, PA 19456

When received, ticket stubs will be mailed back to you and the drawing takes place November 4 at the Fundraiser outing at Stonewall GC.

E-mail (pats@phillypublinks.com) or call (267-535-1046) with any questions.

Wayne_Kozun

Re: Raffle to play Merion
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 06:16:17 PM »
... a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to play a US Open venue. 
This is a nice idea but that line is a bit of a hard sell when some US Open venues are munis and others are resort courses so playing a US Open venue  is hardly a once in a lifetime opportunity, especially if you have a bit of cash.

Tim Martin

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 08:40:03 PM »
This is a nice idea but that line is a bit of a hard sell when some US Open venues are munis and others are resort courses so playing a US Open venue  is hardly a once in a lifetime opportunity, especially if you have a bit of cash.

It is not for any venue other than Merion which the last thing I knew was pretty private  ::)

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 11:53:12 PM »
True Merion is very private but then they should have said something like:

"it will be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to play a prestigious private golf club that has hosted several historic major USGA golf tournaments"

Playing a US Open venue is not really a rarity, playing Merion is, at least for most people.  Anyone in San Diego can play a US Open venue at Torrey Pines, same for Long Islanders with Bethpage Black.  Chambers Bay will shortly join this list and then there are the resort courses that are available to anyone with $500 or so - like Pebble and Pinehurst #2.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 12:58:55 AM »
True Merion is very private but then they should have said something like:

"it will be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to play a prestigious private golf club that has hosted several historic major USGA golf tournaments"

It could have also specified that the raffle is to play the East course. At least, I hope it's to play the East.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

john_stiles

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 08:55:06 AM »
Thank you Michael.  Sounds like a good cause.

I will send in my check for some raffle tickets.

John

They have a nice web site, and from that source.....

"     The College Fundraiser Tournament at Stonewall last November, 5 was a huge success as over $7,000 was raised to benefit the PPGA Scholarship Fund. Thank you to all of you who supported the Scholarsip this year and we look forward to reaching even more deserving more young men and women in the future. The big winner of the raffle for the three-some to Merion GC was Greg Lenaz.

The PPGA Scholarship Fund was started in 2008 as a way for the PPGA to give back to the community and assist young men and women in pursuit of higher education. Two students were awarded scholarships in 2008, five were awarded in 2009, five in 2010, two in 2011 and two more in 2012. The goal of the PPGA Scholarship program is to reach and assist as many young people as possible in and around the Philadelphia area and surrounding communities.

The Philadelphia Publinks Golf Association Scholarship Fund Inc. is a 501c3 charitable organization.   "
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:00:56 AM by john_stiles »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 10:05:59 AM »
Wouldn't it be interesting if exclusive premier clubs with small memberships and courses that are lightly played and where it's almost impossible to even get to play, each had a daily four-ball tee-time raffle.

Apply to the raffle list, successful players to be drawn out months ahead, turn up and play on one of the golfing holy grails, oh, and all the proceeds go to a charity nominate by the club and an individual could only play there on this basis once in their lives.

Say 4 players, 5 days per week for say 6 months, that would be 540 rounds at say $1,000 per player, that would be $540,000 p/a for charity and perhaps a bit of good-will towards private golf club exclusivity as well.

I've used $1,000 as an example. What would be the price you'd give to charity for one round in your life at say ANGC? $500, $1,000, $2,000.....?

Wishful thinking?

All the best

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 03:07:39 PM »

Wayne - It's friggin Merion!

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 03:56:15 PM »

Wayne - It's friggin Merion!

Thank you Dan. What else do you guys need to know for $10 a ticket?::)

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 10:36:31 AM »
Wouldn't it be interesting if exclusive premier clubs with small memberships and courses that are lightly played and where it's almost impossible to even get to play, each had a daily four-ball tee-time raffle.

Apply to the raffle list, successful players to be drawn out months ahead, turn up and play on one of the golfing holy grails, oh, and all the proceeds go to a charity nominate by the club and an individual could only play there on this basis once in their lives.

Say 4 players, 5 days per week for say 6 months, that would be 540 rounds at say $1,000 per player, that would be $540,000 p/a for charity and perhaps a bit of good-will towards private golf club exclusivity as well.

I've used $1,000 as an example. What would be the price you'd give to charity for one round in your life at say ANGC? $500, $1,000, $2,000.....?
Didn't Pine Valley do this after 9/11??  I believe it was a grand a guy and all proceeds donated to the Red Cross??  Guy at our club still wears the hat.

Wishful thinking?

All the best
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back