News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stuart Goldstein

Re: A Very Unique, Long Overdue Golf Book
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2013, 09:27:54 AM »
I just finished reading Joel's book and thoroughly enjoyed it.  A different take on the standard "golf" book. Great insight, background and a behind the scenes look into a part of the game that every golfer has  dealt with-PGA professionals.  Should be a required read for all aspiring professionals.  Excellent Father's Day gift as well.

Eric Smith

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2013, 11:40:09 AM »
The Bob Ford chapter with the tidbits about Seminole and their odd ways is priceless.

Stuart Goldstein

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2013, 09:29:19 AM »
I gave my copy to a local pro.  Hopefully he will get something out of it.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 02:32:37 PM »
I have it on good authority that PRO'S PROS will be in the warehouse in one week. I will endeavor to get all orders out via Media mail (USPS) no later than the 30th or 31st of May, which will theoretically have books delivered to those waiting by the 3rd or 4th of June.
My apologies for the delay in processing these orders--completely unavoidable.  I appreciate the great interest and support, with orders stacked up on my web site like 5 PM plane traffic at LaGuardia.
If anyone who hasn't chimed in already wants to see a 45-page (3 chapter) preview of the new book, just add your email to this thread (or PM me) and I will get it you..no delays!

Many Thanks----

Donnie Beck

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 09:31:57 PM »
Glad to hear... I look forward to reading the rest...

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2013, 08:59:54 AM »
Mark,

Not to state the obvious, but Bob Ford has long had one of the very best gigs in professional golf. He also has a great golf swing.

He's also one hell of a nice guy, a real gentleman.

JimFatsi

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2013, 09:43:02 PM »
Joel would love to see more jistaf@gmail.com

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2013, 11:22:51 PM »
Just ordered my copy and really looking forward to it.  Thanks!

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2013, 08:01:27 PM »
Books are in.
Finally.
Got nearly a thousand out the door this PM, 60-80-100-200+ at a time to some of the finest club pros in the nation..the UPS truck was more of a saggin' wagon as he headed off down the street.  He'll be back tomorrow eve for an encore run, hopefully with a bit more suspension!

Tomorrow I will make friends with scores of padded manilla envelopes, address labels already filled out and affixed with some of this site's most notable particpants.

Many Thanks once again for all the interest and support.  Look for PRO'S PROS in your mailbox early next week, and thanks again for your patience!

Bill Brightly

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2013, 08:41:43 AM »
A really good read. I just ordered a copy for the pro at my club. An inexpensive and nice way to say thanks!

Jason Topp

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2013, 11:44:58 AM »
Joel - your book sits proudly next to my toilet.  Perfect bathroom reading!

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2013, 04:51:29 PM »

Considering the  lovng inscription I provided for you,  I find your comment unduly harsh.  You are a bitter, bitter barrister..

Bill Brightly

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2013, 10:24:34 PM »
I really liked the story about Bob Ford being on pace to break Arnie's club record at Latrobe CC, needing only to par in the last three holes for a 59...

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2013, 03:40:45 PM »
I really liked the story about Bob Ford being on pace to break Arnie's club record at Latrobe CC, needing only to par in the last three holes for a 59...

It's easy to understand that when you write a book like this you will quickly develop favorites in terms of the profile subjects.  Mr. Ford is top tier, and the story Bill mentions is part of the reason.

On a personal level, he has been extremely generous to me on many levels: Time, accessibility, imagination, and several other reasons that cement his place as one of, if not the very best, club pros in the nation.  To paraphrase the famous football coach discussing Herchel Walker:  "I don't know if he's in a class by himself, but whatever class he's in it doesn't take long to call the roll."

Jason Topp

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2013, 12:34:42 AM »

Considering the  lovng inscription I provided for you,  I find your comment unduly harsh.  You are a bitter, bitter barrister..

In my worldview that location is a place of honor.

Bryan Icenhower

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2013, 02:17:43 PM »
Thanks to Joel for sharing the excerpt, was a great read - look forward to reading the rest of the profiles as I just ordered a few books for myself and others.  Like others, I highly recommend.

David Lott

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2013, 05:35:47 PM »
"Most club pros approach their careers the way an accomplished chess player looks at the chessboard; they are continually anticipating their next move."

True. And necessary. Unfortunately golf professionals with great longevity at one place are the exception not the rule. In significant part this is due to impatient and ill governed memberships, and to golf committees who can make the pro's job impossible by lack of support. And of course the unwarranted firings.

Not an easy job, being a golf pro. A great pro with long tenure is the mark of a well managed club.
David Lott

JC Jones

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2013, 09:11:28 AM »
Congrats to Joel on his 5 minute pimp spot on Morning Drive today.  I have to say though, it would have been a better spot d he and Rymer would have compared abs.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2013, 10:43:09 AM »
Congrats to Joel on his 5 minute pimp spot on Morning Drive today.  I have to say though, it would have been a better spot d he and Rymer would have compared abs.

Me and Charlie comparing abs would be like JC taking on Phil without getting 12 a side..not much of a contest.

This would be a more compelling competition, though I suspect my chances are no greater than Pro's Pros finding its way onto the New York Times Bestseller List

JC Jones

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2013, 10:49:59 AM »
I'd take 12 a side from Phil all day, any day.

Glad to see you met one of Michigan State's co-eds. 

Seriously though, great job.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Ryan McLaughlin

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2013, 06:36:32 PM »
I really enjoyed the book.  Through reading the profiles it brought me back to why I jumped into the golf business all those years ago.  I worked for some truly great head pros and they all took the most pride in placing their assistants in top jobs despite the fact that those jobs are extremely limited.  As I was reading, I ALMOST missed the golf pro days...but then I came to my senses and realized I actually like to play golf (something most pros don't have the time to do).  The great jobs you profiled come along once in a lifetime and unfortunately the second rung (assistant pro) is not always rewarding.  If I didnt have a wife and family and it wasnt so ridiculously expensive to live around here I would do it again.  I hope the PGA is working towards enhancing opportunities for all their members and not just the cream on top.  I don't see it at the clubs I am playing at but I hold out hope. 

That being said, the book was great and I have recommended it to a number of golf pro and golfer friends.    Great job Joel!

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2013, 07:10:05 PM »

That being said, the book was great and I have recommended it to a number of golf pro and golfer friends.    Great job Joel!

Thank you Ryan, I appreciate the kind words, and the fact that you've made mention of the book to those who you feel would find the subject matter of interest.

Alex Miller

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2013, 08:50:22 PM »
Had meant to post in this thread a couple months back after I had read some of it, but this week I ran into a friend of mine who had been trying to make it as a golfer and this book came up.

He had been struggling and was having a hard time coping with the fact that he just wasn't playing well enough to make it as a touring pro (injuries were no help to him), but he picked up this book and it helped remind him of the impact those who brought him into the game had and what he can do for others potentially as a club pro someday. As someone who's Dad doesn't play, I know I wouldn't enjoy the game like I do today without the PGA professionals (never a member at a club either, there were many) like the ones Joel writes about so well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back