News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ken Moum

Question about UK car rental
« on: April 20, 2013, 07:13:22 PM »
When we went to Scotland in 2006 we followed the advice to rent from Arnold Clarks.  And it was a relatively painless experience.

Now we are going back and after looking at online booking prices it appears that I can rent a car from one of several "normal" rental car agencies for just over half what Clarks charges.

Am I missing something?

Surely someone here has experience in the matter.

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Question about UK car rental
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 07:53:21 PM »
I have tried Europecar and others but have had the best luck with Avis.  I let my American Express pick up the insurance and save a bundle.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Brent Hutto

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 09:15:58 PM »
When I've shopped price Hertz usually comes out about as good as any. Avis tends to be a bit more and Europcar quit a bit more. Sixt is usually similar and occasionally cheaper than Hertz, especially when I fly into Manchester. We also did the Arnold Clarke one for a rental in Inverness. On that one occasion, probably because it was in Inverness City rather than an airport, Clarke was the best choice.

I think I've always done Hertz at Gatwick, Sixt at Manchester plus that one Arnold Clarke rental in Inverness. In each case that was the best deal I could find.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 10:11:08 PM »
I have tried Europecar and others but have had the best luck with Avis.  I let my American Express pick up the insurance and save a bundle.
Pray you don't need Am Ex for the insurance. Horrible experience with them. Buy the insurance and if you have a wreck give them the keys and head back home with great memories. A mirror is not worth the aggravation .
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 10:19:29 PM »
Pray you don't need Am Ex for the insurance. Horrible experience with them. Buy the insurance and if you have a wreck give them the keys and head back home with great memories. A mirror is not worth the aggravation .

Ed, I have to admit that many of the times I have been to the UK I have scraped the left side of the car.  Most of the time I got the insurance from the car company.  As you said.  I had no problems. I just handed them the keys and went my merry way.  The last time I went my platinum Amex card picked up the insurance and had no problems.  What happened with you?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Steve Lang

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 09:16:10 AM »
 8) when we visited way back in 1996 there was one recommendation, from a friend in Yorkshire, that was well appreciated.. "make sure you get a turbo charged engine" ... easier to shoot the gap in those roundabouts!

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 11:55:13 AM »
Ken M. -

When checking rates, make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Make sure your rate is being quoted in the same currency and that all taxes and fees are being included.

I regularly rent from Avis whether I am picking up a car at either Inverness or Aberdeen airports.

DT

Craig Disher

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 12:12:13 PM »

Mark Johnson

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 03:00:12 PM »
one more thing to consider... a majority of rental cars over the pond are manual transmission.  If you want automatic, you will pay more, in some cases considerably.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 06:14:46 PM »
The last three or four times I have rental a car in the UK it has been through www.HolidayAutos.com. I am driving one right now!!!

Holiday Autos is a division of Travelocity. The rates have always been the best I could find and the cars usually come from Alamo/Europecar. Good experience all around... even with one way rentals. If you sign up for the email alerts you will receive notices of special deals from time to time. For example, I got a discount on the rental I booked for July which resulted in a $322 charge for a three week "compact" rental.

As for insurance... I use VISA because they specifically cover vehicles rented in the UK. I have not used Amex, but I understand their supplemental insurance offering is good.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 06:44:58 PM »
Ken,

We have just signed off on a manual "compact" car (VW Golf as it happens!!) from Europcar which has cost  US$1550 for 55days which is $30 per day. The insurance is included and the excess is covered by our Platinum Visa card.  However we will make sure that this time we pay for the "glass" insurance for windscreen and headlights as this aspect is not covered in the general insurance or excess (got caught last time..big time)…that'll be another $60-70. Ach well.

Compared to Mike Whitaker's   "…discount on the rental booked for July which resulted in a $322 charge for a three week "compact" rental." of $15 per day I reckon I must be missing something!!

Yes as Mike J. says the automatic version would have cost 50% more than the above amount when we hire from within Oz so beware.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Dan King

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 07:00:17 PM »
I sold my URL years ago to Dan King Car Rentals in Ireland. It was suppose to come with a free week rental when I ever got back to the Emerald Isles. Unfortunately I never made it back and it looks like Dan King car rentals is no more.

Cheers,
Dan King
What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
 --William Shakespeare

Ken Moum

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 08:52:29 PM »
My wife has been doing some research and our Marriott Platinum Visa supposedly earns a 30% discount at Hertz..

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 10:25:44 PM »

Ed, I have to admit that many of the times I have been to the UK I have scraped the left side of the car.  Most of the time I got the insurance from the car company.  As you said.  I had no problems. I just handed them the keys and went my merry way.  The last time I went my platinum Amex card picked up the insurance and had no problems.  What happened with you?

Tommy,
The rental company fixed the car before the insurance adjuster had a chance to see it, what a PIA. Finally  got it resolved after a hold on the card and numerous nasty phone calls.

Ed
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Craig Disher

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 12:03:07 PM »
A few days ago, I booked a 30-day economy/manual summer rental with AutoEurope for about $16/day. Mike's HolidayAuto was a little cheaper but I've always had good luck with AE so I went with them. Including the CDW adds a lot to the cost but for short term rentals it might be worthwhile especially if you're not accustomed to driving in the UK.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back