News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

A new look at an old painting
« on: April 19, 2013, 04:46:37 PM »

I am culling through my books and articles on golf and came across 'A Matter of Perspective' that was first published in the September, 2011 issue of Through the Green, the magazine of the Briish Golf Collectors Society. The R&A put out a copy on glossy paper and sent a copy to every member. It is but six pages in length and is thought to have be painted in about 1754.

Should anyone have an interest in this let me know. I shall put the requests in a hat and I shall ask Rich Goodale to pull out the winner when we have lunch on May the fourth.

Bob

Garland Bayley

Re: A new look at an old painting
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 05:06:26 PM »
Sir Bob,

Does this mean you will be attending KP?

I don't think Rihc will have finished off those southern rebs by lunch on Saturday.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 05:12:04 PM by GJ Bailey »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 06:35:28 PM »
I'm curious to see the painting
Would you describe it Bob?

Have a great lunch you two!
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 06:58:50 PM »
Sir Bob,

Does this mean you will be attending KP?

I don't think Rihc will have finished off those southern rebs by lunch on Saturday.

GJ,

That's the date he mentioned; he has always been as bright as a tack but maybe he is getting forgetful in his advancing years

Bob

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 07:21:57 PM »
Bob,

Perhaps he has asked King for a day of R&R so that he might come back to slay more rebs the next day.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Rich Goodale

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 09:54:37 AM »
I did, in fact, have a Senior Moment by telling Bob that I was free on "Monday May 4th."  I think I was looking at a pre-Gregorian calendar, and hopefully will be seeing his Sirness on Monday the 6th.  Meanwhile, let's have a look at that old painting, Bob.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Joe Andriole

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 12:40:05 PM »

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 12:57:32 PM »
http://www.golfcollectors.co.uk/u/cms/TTG_98_2011September2011.pdf

very fine article; page 28

JG,

Thank you for posting the link, I tried but failed to pass the test.

Bob

BCrosby

Re: A new look at an old painting New
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 03:41:20 PM »
Bob -

Please put my name in Rich's hat for the drawing.

A note about Peter Lewis' terrific article. No one knows more about the archival materials related to the Old Course than Peter. One of his research projects over the last several years has been to find and present evidence of the architectural evolution of the Old Course pre-1900.

Unlike the post 1900 era, there were many major changes to TOC in the 18th and 19th centuries. The course went from 22 to 18 holes, the current 18th green (previously the 22nd green) was probably located at one time under what is now the Old Tom Morris Shop, the course was expanded to the east to create the modern outward nine, double greens were built, others were rebuilt, bunkers were removed and added, etc.

The historical record of those changes is, however, very limited. Beyond generic references to changes by Robertson and Morris in the middle and late 19th century (many greens doubled, course width expanded), there are no documents giving the rationales for or the details of their changes. There is even less material about earlier changes.

That  includes the change that took TOC from a 22 hole to an 18 hole course. The first several and last several holes of TOC were the holes most affected. Who directed those changes remains a complete mystery. Which, I think, makes for the single biggest unanswered question in the history of golf architecture. Those holes are today among the best in the world, yet we have no idea who designed them. (Looking forward, what will happen to those holes under the current Dawson administration is anyone's guess. Based on his actions to date, Dawson seems to have no qualms about making any changes that strike his fancy.)

So Peter Lewis' article on the 1754 picture, painted a decade or so before TOC was reduced to 18 holes, is an attempt to fill in one piece of what is a largely missing historical record pre-1900. I hope Peter will continue with his project and perhaps someday compile his findings in a book. He is on a fascinating hunt.

Bob

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 06:57:20 PM by BCrosby »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back