News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul_Turner

Re: What are the big restorations being done this year?
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 10:10:14 PM »
Niall

Thanks for the video. It's a dramatic course.

How close are the restored bunkers to the originals?  I don't know Orchard Lake but from what I've seen of Alison's original work here in the US, he tended to build rather simple shapes:  big ovals with high sand faces.  Not the same as in Japan where his bunkers were fancier. Are there a lot of new bunkers too?

Agree with Mike Nuzzo re the 6th approach.  I thought exactly the same, the scale 0f the restored bunker has somehow made the hole look less interesting.  I prefer the old grass curves.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2013, 10:14:07 PM »
Paul,

See this post from a photo tour of OLCC a couple of years back..

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,51441.msg1179461.html#msg1179461

Aaron McMaster

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013, 10:50:45 PM »
Paul,

See this post from a photo tour of OLCC a couple of years back..

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,51441.msg1179461.html#msg1179461

Paul, the photos from Marks tour are bunkers that Arthur Hills did in 1996 they are not original bunkers.  The original bunkers were very dramatic sand flashes in particular on holes 1, 6, 7 and 16.  At one time they were very rustic edges but with the Augusta syndrome they became laser like edges that moved a lot of the lines from what were original.  Arthur Hills changed the faces to grass because the club was complaining of plugged lies in the sand faces and constand washouts.  We have better tech now to put the sand faces back in and eliminate those issues so the decision was made to go back to the old style the club originally had.

I would say Foster added a little more spice to some and we modernized the fairway bunkering and restored around 16 bunkers that had been removed over the years but overall the course was restored closer to what was original.  

As I posted before the bunker on 6 looks quite different in person vs photo.  What you also don't notice in pictures of 6 is we removed about 40 trees to the right of the existing tee and brought back an original tee that you hit over a great set of rolling terrain but the photo shop of  native removes all that.  It's a great addition to the hole and very unique land to the Detroit area.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 11:16:43 PM by Aaron McMaster »

Niall Hay

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »

How close are the restored bunkers to the originals?  I don't know Orchard Lake but from what I've seen of Alison's original work here in the US, he tended to build rather simple shapes:  big ovals with high sand faces.  Not the same as in Japan where his bunkers were fancier. Are there a lot of new bunkers too?

What about the bunkering at Century or Fresh Meadow?

Paul_Turner

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2013, 08:00:55 PM »
Niall

Century bunkers were originally pretty simple in shape.  Big sand faced ovals but with some natural ruggedness, they're a bit fancier now (more "Tillinghast" ). Not sure about Fresh Meadow/Lakeville, but likely similar.  Sea Island and Timber Point (parts of) were also in a similar vein.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Niall Hay

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2013, 08:42:13 PM »
Well since Orchard Lake isn't open yet in its final form it's hard to say what they definitively look like or compare to. Better to wait until the project is complete before comparing them to any existing courses. 

Separately what are the bunkers and/or bunkering like at Burning Tree? Like any other US Alison designs?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2013, 10:36:50 PM »

# 12 at GCGC is simply spectacular.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2013, 09:01:57 PM »
Wow, there is a lot of good stuff on the horizom.

Guys, sorry I let this thread languish a bit, but as you can see from the other thread, I had an eventful weekend...convalescing!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Niall Hay

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2013, 09:12:17 PM »
Wow, there is a lot of good stuff on the horizom.

Guys, sorry I let this thread languish a bit, but as you can see from the other thread, I had an eventful weekend...convalescing!

Get well soon!

Mark McKeever

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2013, 09:50:57 AM »
I cannot wait for the restoration of the Wissahickon course to begin!   ;D

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

JNagle

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2013, 10:27:50 AM »
As mentioned earlier, Forse Design has been involved with the restoration of the Country Club of Buffalo.  18 untouched, very good Ross greens and the Club has decided to use the 1927 aerial as well as other ground level photos as part of the restoration efforts.  Nearly all of the original bunkers are being restored and/or reinstated; all greens are being enlarged to original footprints, fairways are being widened and approaches/roll-offs restored.  We are very excited about the entire process as the CCB course is a fly-under-the-radar course ready to become better known to those in the golf world. 

The first hole sometime after 1931

We will be wrapping up the restoration of the bunkers at Brooklawn C.C. in Fairfield, CT this Spring.  The Club was fully behind restoring the very large Tillinghast bunkers across the entirety of the course.

Archive photo credit to Craig Disher

Lastly, we are just getting under way with the planning for a restoration/renovation of Flynn's Green Valley course outside of Philly.
It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Niall Hay

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2013, 10:34:33 AM »

Lastly, we are just getting under way with the planning for a restoration/renovation of Flynn's Green Valley course outside of Philly.

Flynn's Green Valley looks interesting....when was that picture taken?

JNagle

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2013, 10:36:59 AM »
Neil -

That is a picture from Brooklawn.  We have just started the planning at Green Valley.  Will not start construction for a few years.
It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Niall Hay

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2013, 10:43:20 AM »
Neil -

That is a picture from Brooklawn.  We have just started the planning at Green Valley.  Will not start construction for a few years.

Nice

Mark McKeever

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2013, 10:43:41 AM »
I love seeing photos of restored Tilly bunkers.... ;D

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

JNagle

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2013, 10:55:52 AM »
The 18th at Brooklawn and the 11th during construction

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2013, 11:00:48 AM »
Kyle Phillips just started a big remodel of Menlo CC in California.

Matt Albanese

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2013, 12:07:06 PM »
Jim,

Great pictures. Looking forward to the CCB project. Any update on the Colgate project?

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2013, 08:39:58 PM »
St Davids Golf Club in Wayne Pa just completed its restoration / renovation of our Donald Ross course, with Ron Prichard as the consulting architect.  It was a ten year process and course was never closed and financed by monthly capital fees and initiation fees.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Bill McKinley

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2013, 09:41:05 PM »
Canterbury GC - Beachwood, OH  - Herbert Stong 1921.

We are doing a full bunker renovation this fall. Bruce Hepner is on the job. Within the bunker reno will be some tee work and tree removal. We started the tree removal this winter, about 140 were taken down. Mostly non-indigenous species and trees that were too close to greens. It's going to be an exciting summer and fall at CGC this year. I'll try and post updates when I can
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Jay Flemma

« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2013, 02:58:48 PM »
Paramount too...didn't it officially announce completion thus week?
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Steve Lapper

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2013, 03:35:34 PM »
Paramount too...didn't it officially announce completion thus week?

Yes. With the completion of work on holes # 3 and 9, we are done*.

JC Urbina ought to chime in and discuss it.

* We do reserve the right to revisit holes #1 & 7 as the bisection of them by Zukor Rd. still presents some problems.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 03:41:03 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Chris DeToro

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2013, 04:57:16 PM »
Battle Creek CC, a 1919 Willie Park design, in Battle Creek MI, and listed as one of Tom Doak's "discoveries" of 2012 in Golf Magazine just wrapped up a bunker renovation.  The work was done last fall--pretty much every bunker was reshaped and several bunkers were removed to restore the course to the way Willie Park originally intended.

It looks amazing; now we just need it to warm up so we can enjoy it! :-) 

Jay Flemma

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2013, 11:48:35 AM »
Lapper, I still say you outta do a 19th hole like they did at North Shore!

Ed Homsey

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2013, 08:11:14 PM »
I hear that Ian Andrew may be doing a renovation/restoration project at the Travis/D. Wilson Pennhills Club.  Have no details, but there is a lot of potential in that course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back