News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

What DO Americans Get?
« on: July 25, 2003, 04:26:54 PM »
Or stated otherwise:

"What are we supposed to do, you morons?" - Stork

Mike
« Last Edit: July 25, 2003, 04:28:11 PM by Mike_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Marty Bonnar

Re:What DO Americans Get?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2003, 04:37:53 PM »
LOL Mike :D

In answer though:

The best sitcoms, great food, big cars (and cheap gas!!), great movies, gorgeous women, ...

BUT, also: crap politicians (no, we're not immune from those either!),  Constitutional free access to guns (get real!), crap roads (to drive those great cars on!), Boob jobs (I HATE those!)

Still, I love America!! (and most Americans!!)

FBD (Scottish and both proud and ashamed of it at the same time...)
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2003, 04:38:40 PM »
Answer:

"We gotta take these bastards. Now, we could fight 'em with conventional weapons, that could take years, and cost millions of lives. No, in this case, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture, be done on somebody's part."

-- Eric Stratton, Delta House rush chairman
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2003, 04:42:26 PM »
Rick - FOODFIGHT!!!!

BUT, Music does come out of Bagpipes - if you've any Celtic blood in your veins!!!!!

FBD.

Norbert P

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2003, 04:43:32 PM »
  Keep the options open.  Support your favorite kinds of golfing grounds by playing them.  Sometimes, we can even find someone who will listen why.  Explore.  
  Sometimes, I feel that this passion of golf architecture is frustrating because I cannot communicate why it is so fascinating.  That's not the fault of America, but my own limitations.  So, I play solo golf a lot and speak reverently to the land, sky and fallen friends and ancestors.  

And curse my swing.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2003, 04:48:04 PM »
Well said, Slag,
My dad - who never swung a golf club in his life, except maybe at the crazy golf courses at the seaside - is with me every time I play alone. Rather bizarrely, I catch myself walking like him and that's enough to send me back....

FBD.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2003, 04:51:44 PM »
What do Americans get?

Lazy:  from riding in carts all the time

Loud: from talking on their cell phones on the course without regards to others

Vulgar:  %&*@ this club!  For $500, this driver is supposed to make me a Tour pro.

Slower and Slower:  cartball on paths/housing courses/lack of etiquette/not being ready to play/looking over putts from 6 angles, etc.

Horny:  Hey, those cart girls are usually hotties.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2003, 04:52:35 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2003, 04:55:01 PM »
FBD -- I really have nothing against bagpipe music -- I just like the quote. But I prefer Miles Davis.

And Eric Stratton, I think, was on to something. GCA is our stupid and futile gesture -- at least, as far as the outside world is concerned. So what if they don't understand this parade float of a web site (in the shape of a cake with "EAT ME" written in pink frosting); it amuses us.

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2003, 05:08:15 PM »
Miles Davis? Miles DAVIS???!!!

Tuneless 'blarting' through some old plumbing pipes!!!!

(Just kidding - I too chill out to Kind of Blue very often!!!!) - getting chills just thinking of it...

And you're right, psychotic, but absolutely right. The Otter did indeed have much to say on the state of life and golf in the modern era, but I personally feel that the time has come for someone to put his foot down. And that foot is me.

But, ultimately, Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son. I'm trying it as a lifestyle choice though!!

FBD.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2003, 05:21:54 PM »
What do you mean?  America is the best place to live, otherwise I wouldn't be living here!  Scotland and music...ugggh, them wailing pipes, the Bay City Rollers...and wasn't it the Scots and Irish who started Country and Western (sorry Mike!)?  Now on the other hand, England has produced some proper bands.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2003, 05:29:09 PM »
Rick Shefchik,
Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?  Hell no!  (don't stop him, he's on a roll).   -- Sen. Bluto Blutarski

The answer:  GCA ROAD TRIP!!  

If you want to get back to the roots of golf as it should be played, you need, anybody needs, to go on a GCA road trip.  And New Mexico in September is coming up! :D

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2003, 05:32:43 PM »
Firstly, major apologies to Mike Hendren for taking over his thread...

Paul,
I'd personally like to thank you (and England) for your country's magnificent contribution to World Music. We all love Morris dancing and as for 'Agadoo' and There's no-one quite like Grandma' - well, words cannot begin to describe the emotions...

Agreed though on the Bay City Rollers - they should have been drowned at birth...but then there's Deacon Blue, Travis, Fairground Attraction (no, I take that one back....)

Isn't this thread supposed to be about golf or some other wasteful pastime...?

FBD.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2003, 05:39:09 PM »
Bill --

Be careful around whom you use the Senator's most famous quote. You will invariably have to explain to someone that you know it was, in fact, the Japanese who bombed Pearl Harbor.

I know this to be true, because I used the quote in print once -- humorously, I thought. A number of humor-impaired individuals disagreed with me.

And I agree -- there are very few problems that can't be solved with a road trip.

Of course, we'll take your car.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2003, 06:05:47 PM by Rick Shefchik »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2003, 05:39:30 PM »
Answer:

"We gotta take these bastards. Now, we could fight 'em with conventional weapons, that could take years, and cost millions of lives. No, in this case, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture, be done on somebody's part."

-- Eric Stratton, Delta House rush chairman

We're just the guys to do it."  -  John Blutarsky

Don't get me started.  My ten year-old son has discovered Monty Python And The Holy Grail and I have seen it twice this week.  For all you Brits who think Americans don't get it, "I unclog my nose in your direction."

Come to think of it, why not a Monty Python golf movie?

Americans do get:  Comedy.

Regards,

Mike
« Last Edit: July 25, 2003, 05:40:25 PM by Mike_Hendren »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2003, 05:43:08 PM »
...and wasn't it the Scots and Irish who started Country and Western (sorry Mike!)?

Paul, no problem.  I like BOTH kinds of music - country AND western (insert toothless smiley).

Regards,

Mike

Paul_Turner

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2003, 05:51:45 PM »
FBD

Nevermind the negatives, what great bands has Scotland given birth to (and don't give me Simple Minds!)?  You know you're on a loser to an Englishman on this one!

One thing Americans do get, when it comes to golf, is to have a go and try the game. That's why the game has flourished here, more than in anywhere else-including its home country.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2003, 06:04:09 PM »
Paul,
I'm happy to bow down to a man who gets London Calling on every one of his posts. Recently re-purchased it on CD - even better than 77(?).
Utterly agree re the American ethos of 'trying'.
I hate the whole UK thing of 'I've done that, now I'll bugger off and do the next thing that Becks (or whichever media darling is 'pushing') is recommending. Truly, I despair of this country sometimes. It seems to be becoming populated by a group of non-thinking trendy automatons with NO real original thought amongst them. Maybe I should make the cross-pond leap too???

FBD.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2003, 06:20:20 PM »
FBD

It would be interesting to know the number of true golfers in the UK vs USA.  I suspect it's more popular here than anywhere else and it certainly feels very busy here in NJ.  It's ironic that fewer people take up golf in the UK, because it's seen as a snobby/rich man's sport, when in reality the clubs are far more open than the US.

As for The Clash.  My loyalty lies with the English version of the band and the '77 album (THE great punk album), although I think the US version embodied in "London Calling" will out live it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back