News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alfonso Erhardt

Spanish Open at El Saler
« on: April 19, 2013, 04:04:40 AM »
The Spanish Open is back to El Saler where it was last played in 2001. I was there yesterday and the course has been set-up very nicely. The Spanish Federation (who now takes care of the course) has tried to go back to Arana's original setup: very firm greens, wider fairways and shaved green surroundings. Not exactly the regular euro tour setup.

Good chance to see Javier Arana's masterpiece on TV this weekend. Let's hope they get some wind for some more fun.

Adam Lawrence

Re: Spanish Open at El Saler
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 06:00:13 AM »
And 68 was the best score yesterday! Still haven't been to El Saler - the course in Europe I most want to see.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 06:01:31 AM »
Now is the right time....

Mark McKeever

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 09:06:29 AM »
Adam, you really need to go see it (as does everyone else!).  I was out there last summer and had an absolute blast when the wind was picking up.  One of the best looks from the 18th tee that I have ever seen.  Course played beautifully firm and fast.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Paul Gray

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 01:50:36 PM »
Shocking looking clubhouse, which I always like to see. I always tell myself it helps to keep the scum (sorry, architecturally ill informed golfer) away!  ;D

PS: Thanks BMS for reposting your pictures.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 01:53:00 PM by Paul Gray »
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 02:50:03 PM »
9 extra holes or if you like half a round at about 4,200 yards. Double that up and assume same scores in the back nine then Jacquelin scored 4 under on a 8,400 yard course and Keiffer 2 under. Kind of proves just adding length isn't the answer.

BTW watching Jaquelin play his approach shots to the 18th was fantastic, watching him putt not so fantastic.

Niall

Matthew Essig

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 07:07:16 PM »
9 extra holes or if you like half a round at about 4,200 yards. Double that up and assume same scores in the back nine then Jacquelin scored 4 under on a 8,400 yard course and Keiffer 2 under. Kind of proves just adding length isn't the answer.

BTW watching Jaquelin play his approach shots to the 18th was fantastic, watching him putt not so fantastic.

Niall

Well the entire "second 9" was downwind....
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Frank Pont

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 03:13:50 AM »
And quite downhill....

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 05:10:31 AM »
Alfonso - thank you for raising El Saler. Nice to see an event played on a firm course. They certainly did get some wind.

BMS - thanks for bumping your course tour. Very good it is too.

Bernhard Langer shot a 62 in the final round to win the Spanish Open at El Saler in 1984. I've heard a few ex-players, guys who played in the event, and commentators over the years refer to it as the best round ever played on the European Tour.

All the best

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back