News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: International Memberships/Country Memberships/Lifetime Memberships
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 01:55:04 AM »
Full membership at Machrihanish is 300 GBP, my lifetime overseas membership at Carne was 1200 euros 15 years ago.

I never tire of the 3 hour Glasgow to Machrihanish road trip, some of the most spectacular and varied scenes in Scotland.

The 4 hour road to Carne from Dublin/Belfast through Ireland is a bore though..... I haven't tried the flight into Knock yet.

Knock is famous for the long runway. The priest who campaigned to get the airport built got some money from the US military and as chance would have it, it turns out that the runway is long enough for fully laden bombers to land and take off.

You can also fly to Shannon and drive up, or Derry (Eglinton) and drive down.

I've flown into Knock a few times - fairly harmless trip.  The problem with the wee Irish airports is limited times and dates due to not many airlines using them. If you book well in advance be sure to leave extra time for flight changes.  I don't think I have ever been able to keep the time I booked.  A few times it changed twice!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Martin Toal

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 07:40:23 AM »
A couple of other options:

Donegal (Murvagh) - International annual membership 505 Euro (approx
Portsalon - overseas life membership 2500 Euro
Ballyliffin - Oversease life membership 5000 Euro

Dunno what the rates at Rosapenna are, but worth contacting them. Already a great option and can only get better with Tom Doak's involvement.

john_stiles

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2013, 10:42:34 PM »

A friend received a life membership at Isle of Harris Golf Club in the Outer Hebrides about 15 years ago as a Christmas gift.

He has yet to visit this course that he belongs to but it is on his bucket list.

Today the web site lists a lifetime membership for  300 pounds.  Memory is that it was much less than 300 when his friend gave him this gift.

Looks like remote is not an adequate decription, but the web site photos look excellent !

Ken Moum

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2013, 08:59:30 AM »
Tommy those local connections are great, as long as they remain active. Lots of Brits came unstuck buying rural French cottages on the back of Ryanair flying to out of the way places. They caught a cold when Mr O'Leary ditched his unprofitable routes and they were suddenly 2-3 hours from an airport.

Mark, re. Americans, you have to understand that in places where I've lived people drive more than an hour each way to go to work.   And my sister-in-law lived for 40 years on a ranch that was that far from a place to buy groceries.

Even now, it's ~75 miles to the airport when I travel for business or vacation.

When I lived in South Dakota I knew several people whose vacation cottage was a 3-hour drive, and a few who were twice that far.

It's all relative, and course our cheaper fuel helps too.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2013, 01:49:27 PM »
Ken I've driven 7 hours on dirt roads in the Outback to deliver pizza to a mate so know how Aussies and Americans view distance. But I also know guys who love their golf want to be on the links and not in the car. Jumping off the red eye and spending 3/4 hours in the car to stay at a club in the middle of nowhere can lose its attraction after a while.

We were trying to get an Italian GCA to join Deal but he can fly 500 miles further direct to Prestwick and have a 5 minute cab ride to the club, rather than 90 minutes from Gatwick.
Cave Nil Vino

Bill Gayne

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2013, 06:28:07 PM »
I've enjoyed being an overseas member of an Irish course. A word of caution is on the risk of currency exchange over an extended period of time. When I joined the exchange rate was about .8 and it's been as high as 1.55 and is currently about 1.3. So the cost to me of going overseas has increased dramatically due to currency exchange fluctuations in addition to general price inflation. There are a lot of high quality national clubs in the U.S. without the currency or travel issues but there's nothing quite the same as the Irish or British links experience.

Ricardo Ramirez Calvo

I live in Argentina and travel regularly at least once a year to the UK. I was looking for an overseas membership of an English club. I was offered one at Royal North Devon, which looks as a great deal in terms of cost. However, the location of the club seems to be a bit off the track. I usually go down to the Kent coast. Does anybody know if Royal Cinque Ports offers any kind of overseas membership?

Kind regards,

Ricardo

Jeff Schley

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2019, 03:23:33 PM »
As we are talking about how local clubs in the UK could use additional members, anyone have some updates for these categories? Maybe a good way to advertise your club or ones you know are accepting new members.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2019, 08:25:14 PM »
Cavendish has a Flexible Membership category which offers up to 12 rounds of golf per year for only £275.00. This allows full 7 day access to the course, a CONGU handicap, discounts in the bar and restaurant, and entry to all competitions. You can also sign in guests at a much reduced rate.

This is ideal for occasional players, 2nd club membership, or overseas membership.

Only 40 minutes from Manchester Airport, Cavendish is the perfect start to any English golf trip and Buxton is a lovely town in which to stay.

http://www.cavendishgolfclub.com/flexible-memberships/

« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 08:29:25 PM by Duncan Cheslett »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2019, 08:31:33 PM »
One of the perks of an overseas membership is the ability to play in member competitions, which are many. Most clubs also have tee times marked off for members. When I was a member at Westward Ho! I would play for a week a year, play in some of the competitions, and hang out with some of the members. It was a great way to spend a week. I loved it. One day I payed 63 holes. It is a great place. For a while I had memberships at both Saunton and WH! It was great. I don't think a saved much money but it was worth every penny.

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2019, 09:05:39 PM »
One of the other cool features of these memberships is the possibility to play at “reciprocal clubs”.
Royal Dornoch, as an example, has 10 including Royal Melbourne, Royal Sydney and CC of North Carolina.

Just makes US club golf look a bit out of step.
Especially since the annual dues at these top U.K. clubs can be well less than a month’s dues at a US club.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2019, 10:43:20 PM »
Royal North Devon had the same reciprocal relationships with other "royals."
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

David_Tepper

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2019, 09:14:32 AM »
Given how the British Pound is in the toilet (below $1.20 this morning!), now is an excellent time to think about joining a golf club in the UK.

Golspie, Brora & Tain are all happy to accept members with no joining fee. An Overseas Membership at Golspie for 200 Pounds a year gives you unlimited play there, the ability to introduce 12 guests a year at a nominal green fee and the right to 3 reciprocal rounds per year each at Brora, Tain & Dornoch for a modestly more nominal green fee.

Plus, it is a very fun, very scenic course to play.

https://www.golspiegolfclub.co.uk/members/how-to-apply

Anyone with questions is welcome to contact me here or at tcmnav@aol.com

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2019, 12:59:38 PM »
Royal North Devon had the same reciprocal relationships with other "royals."
I think this is typical of many of the "official" royal clubs.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2019, 01:26:59 PM »
I live in Argentina and travel regularly at least once a year to the UK. I was looking for an overseas membership of an English club. I was offered one at Royal North Devon, which looks as a great deal in terms of cost. However, the location of the club seems to be a bit off the track. I usually go down to the Kent coast. Does anybody know if Royal Cinque Ports offers any kind of overseas membership?

Kind regards,

Si!
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2019, 01:58:11 PM »
Given how the British Pound is in the toilet (below $1.20 this morning!), now is an excellent time to think about joining a golf club in the UK.
Sterling is only going in one direction for a while.  There's no rush!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

David_Tepper

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2019, 03:08:05 PM »
Mark -

After 40 years in the investment business I am of the opinion that trying to pick the bottom/turning point in any market is very, very tough. At $1.20 to the Pound, we Americans are getting very good value for our money.

DT

Paul Jones

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2019, 05:50:33 PM »
I really enjoyed playing St. George’s Hill, not sure if they offer International Membership or not.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 02:52:17 PM by Paul Jones »
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

David_Tepper

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2019, 11:46:48 AM »
 "At $1.20 to the Pound, we Americans are getting very good value for our money."

Turns out the pound at $1.207 on September 3 was the bottom (so far :) ). Hope you renewed your Overseas Membership last month. ;)

« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 12:06:58 PM by David_Tepper »

BHoover

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2019, 11:51:22 AM »
"At $1.20 to the Pound, we Americans are getting very good value for our money."

Turns out the pound at $1.207 on September 3 was the bottom. Hope you renewed your Overseas Membership last month. ;)

Let’s wait until after October 31 before declaring “the bottom” for the GBP.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2019, 10:33:00 PM »
Mark -

After 40 years in the investment business I am of the opinion that trying to pick the bottom/turning point in any market is very, very tough. At $1.20 to the Pound, we Americans are getting very good value for our money.

DT

It all depends.  The nice little old lady who rented me a room in August during the high season raised it by £5/night for my September visit without telling me during booking.  Apparently the "weakness" of the pound can be ameliorated by simply requiring more of them.  Homo economicus.

Concur on market timing.  But it is also dangerous to put a pencil to the real costs of international and national memberships.  I know a few guys who could not overcome the buyer's remorse even though money was not tight.  IMO, there's more than the golf that has to be involved for it to work.   

Charles Lund

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2019, 12:54:19 AM »
I did a few trips to Australia and Ireland beginning in 2007 and spent quite a bit of time on the Mornington Peninsula in Australia and County Donegal in Ireland.  In 2014 I got a non-local membership at Ballyliffin in Ireland and The National Golf Club in Australia.  For five golf seasons, I generally made two trips to Ireland beginning in 2014 I started doing two trips a year to Australia.  I took a break this year at Ballyliffin due to other priorities.

I also live in the Seattle area and have a condo in San Diego.  So I have experience traveling long distances to two different locations at opposite ends of the earth from each other.  I have enjoyed my experiences playing golf in these two countries and really like the golf culture.  It's been a nice lifestyle.  Both places and clubs are welcoming and warm.  Both have multiple courses.  I have done 13 trips involving Ireland to date and the one I am leaving on in a week will be my 16th trip to Australia.

A few comments for someone looking at this kind of option.

1.  Do a couple of trips to the course, club, and area.
2.  Figure out what you like about the local culture, non-golf amenities, and your level of interest in the country you are spending time in.
3.  Consider the effort getting there and what you are giving up with the commitment associated with being gone for four to ten or twelve weeks a year.
4.  What kind of network options are there for discounted golf, open competitions or access to other clubs in areas you want travel to or through?
5.  Factor in costs of being gone and consider options for holiday rentals, Airbnb, and lower cost lodging.
6.  Ask yourself how comfortable you are with solo travel or alternatively if you have golf friends you can spend extended time with who are compatible with how you travel.
7.  Ask yourself how you feel about saying you are a member of a lower tier club, with courses not ranked in the best of the best in the country.

My trip next week will be my 44th overseas trip since late 2007.  About a dozen of the trips involved minimal or no golf. I have been gone close to three years and have spent close to two years driving on the left side. I have accepted cost saving options like driving manual transmissions in Ireland.  I also found a credit card which covers damage on car rentals in Ireland.  I've learned a lot about air fares, frequent flyer programs, public transportation systems, and so forth.

There are many good club options in Ireland and the UK.  Virtually all the North and West Coast Links courses in Ireland have options.  St. Enodoc, Royal North Devon, and Saunton in SW England are places I have visited.  Most people focus their golf travel in Australia on eight to ten of the best of the best on a single trip.  I found something that worked for me there.

Best wishes for people considering this option.  It's made for a lot of quality time in retirement.  I'll add that I don't have a spouse, never got married, never had children, and retired from a satisfying career at a time that worked out well.

I didn't travel overseas for four decades after my sophomore year in college in a study abroad program in Europe.  School and a career took up four decades.  Golf travel was a great replacement in this phase of life.

Charles Lund

Bernie Bell

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2019, 10:24:24 AM »
Charles -

Very intriguing, thanks.  How long do you typically stay on each visit?  What lodging option have you used most often, and has that changed over time?  Per your comment #1, did you scout other choices in UK or Ireland from a short list that included Ballyliffin? 

Charles Lund

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2019, 11:45:16 AM »
On my first trip to Ireland I was there for five weeks and played 27 rounds on  23 different courses.  I returned to Ireland on three different trips and went back to Donegal for most of my time, playing different courses and usually The European Club near Dublin which offered half off on a second round.

I found this area of Ireland to have a raw feel to it as far as natural surroundings and less regimentation and an absence of tour buses relative to the top five destinations.  I was in the process of applying for the membership at Murvagh and inquired if Ballyliffin would make the non-local annual membership available.  I enjoyed Murvagh, Rosapenna, and Ballyliffin on my trips  On one in June, 2011, I was at Ballyliffin when Rory McIlroy won the U.S. Open.  On the morning I left, he flew in by helicopter for an Oakley photo shoot.

So by 2014 I had spent a fair amount of time there.  I probably would have been equally happy at Rosapenna or Murvagh and generally played there on many trips to Ireland.

I started staying in hotels and B&Bs and later went to holiday rentals, staying two to four weeks.  I went through a similar process in Australia.  Airbnb became a phenomenon in the past few  years. 

I've done Ireland trips that included different routings within the country and combined Ireland trips with Scotland, England, Sweden, and Iceland.  I have flown to Melbourne directly and done other stops all over Australia.  I have also traveled to Australia through Japan and Hong Kong.

So getting overseas memberships helped with more creative travel itineraries. 

Charles Lund

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2019, 03:04:27 PM »
Mark - sterling has strengthened on the sight of a deal as the markets hate this continued uncertainty, it’s now falling again as Parliament continues to try and frustrate the process.

Many Royal clubs have reciprocal arrangements but certainly not all of them. Members of Royal Melbourne can arrive in Dover play at Royal Cinque Ports and wind their way to Royal Dornoch with barely an hours drive between many of their reciprocal clubs.

A good friend visits Melbourne annually to see family and manages on average 3 games each at two reciprocal clubs there including the RM.

At RCP annual fees for overseas members are around 4x the single round green fee, there is a fairly lumpy joining fee which several on here avoided years ago, to their advantage!
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back