News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe_Tucholski

I’m hoping to make a trip to the UK this summer and interested in visiting courses that offer international or country memberships for those who live outside of the country.  The idea of a lifetime membership is really enticing and something I think I could convince my wife is a good idea.

Below is the information I’ve found on this site or course websites.  The information is likely outdated in many cases. 

Royal Dornoch – Entrance $850 Annual $430 (full member it’s not listed as international and as I understand it not really open for new members)
Loch Lomond – lists overseas membership no prices
Cruden Bay – Country $300 joining $330 annual and overseas $300 joining $300 annual
Askernish - $100 per year for country/international (also says life membership exists)
Golspie – £ 200ish per year for country listed on this site
Brora –£ 255.00 per year for country
Tain - £ 240.00 per year for country
Ballybunion – Lists overseas membership no prices 17000 listed elsewhere on internet
Lahinich – Lists overseas life membership no prices (10keuro listed on GCA)
Wentworth – lists overseas no prices
Old Head – lists international no prices
Carne – Overseas life membership 6000 euro
Enniscrone - 4000 euros for life
Ballyliffin – Life membership 5000 euro
Royal Portrush – 40000 pounds (listed on GCA)
Waterville G. L. – Lists international membership no prices
County Louth – Lists overseas membership on website but no prices
Deal – 10k life member or 500 annual (listed on GCA and a few members here)
Woodhall Spa – 536 annual
Royal Saint Davids – £125 entry fee; £245 annual dues
Royal North Devon, Westward Ho! – 180 pounds (255 for family)
Saunton -325 pounds
Pennard – 264 pounds (distant)
Woking Golf Club 570 pounds (listed on GCA)

If you’re aware of other courses that offer these types of memberships (or memberships that would pay for themselves in a week of playing) please share them so I can keep notes and make visits.

David_Tepper

Re: International Memberships/Country Memberships/Lifetime Memberships
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 01:58:47 AM »
Joe -

I believe Country Memberships are currently available at Golspie, Brora and Tain with no joining fee. If you play 6-8 rounds a year at any of these clubs, you reach or pass the "break even" point.

The other nice feature of being of Country member is that you can usually bring 10 to 12 guests a year at a reduced green fee rate that is a fraction of the usual Visitor's green fee.

DT

Josh Stevens

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 02:16:33 AM »
Why would you do such a thing?  Do you plan to play in the UK often?

The US really must have a look at the reciprocal system that Australia has, its not a bad lark.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 03:23:37 AM »
Waterville have an EU membership. Last year it was 30 000 euro to join and 872 annual dues.  They must be doing well as they take 6 weeks to reply to emails!

You can apply to Join one of the North Berwick clubs.  Not sure of international rate but it will be no more than £300 pa and a similar joining fee. Waiting time 3-5years.

I would also check Portrush. When I enquired about a decade ago, I could join as an overseas member, pay two years at country member rate (£600 from memory) and thereafter the overseas rate, which the Secretary agreed was less than the published weekend summer visitor rate for one round on the Dunluce course! For two courses!  If I only had a bit more time!

If you plan to return annually you will make friends and get more from the experience.  However I would also want to be near a reasonable size town with a few eating and other choices, you'll be spending more time off the course than on it.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 03:33:16 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 04:03:09 AM »
Joe,

you are aware that 99.9% of UK clubs allow greenfee players and most even on the weekend? If you are planning a longer stay in the Highlands then I can recommend Golpsie as being a bargin to join and super course to play.

Jon

Paul Gray

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 04:43:49 AM »
Further to Jon's comments, most better/traditional clubs in Britain offer country membership. If it's this you have your heart set on I'd suggest picking your preferred area, perhaps checking the 'Top 100' website to view county by county and going from there. For example, simply checking out the Highlands region or Surrey will give you any number of choices.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 12:04:29 AM »
To answer the questions, I didn't say I was going to join these clubs at this time.  I'm interested in visiting them on this trip so that in the future when the time comes to make visits for an extended period of time at one location I'll know where to go.  At the places that have low/no joining fees and low annuals it make sense to join for a trip as short as a week (I'll play more than 10 rounds in a week).  That being said I do think an attractive lifetime membership is something I could go through with (at 30 I have to believe it will be worthwhile).

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 11:17:46 AM »
Over the years I have played about 200 courses in GB&I. There are, obviously, more to play but I have tired of the travel and like to stay in one place.  Recently I have purchased overseas memberships at either RND or Saunton.  I like meeting some of the locals and membership gives you access to the best starting times and competitions. Devon and Cornwall have a beautiful coastline and the South West Coast Path is a great walk when not playing golf.
When I know I will be able to stay a while, buying and overseas "subscription" makes sense.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 04:54:19 PM »
My advice to anyone looking for a GB&I overseas membership is as follows;

How easy is the journey? Will you tire of a 4 hour winding road after a few visits.

What else is nearby? A historic town or city will give options especially when friends come to visit.

Will your membership potentially open a few doors? Membership of a premium club will rarely see you struggling to find a guest or meeting interesting people during your stays.

Are there added benefits? Does the club have arrangements with other clubs at home or abroad. Is there a network of overseas members. Are there matches you may want to play in.

Finally if you join as a life member see the fee as a contribution to preserving a historic club you love rather than pure numbers.
Cave Nil Vino

Keith Phillips

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 05:12:39 PM »
I forget the details, but Crail offers a terrific deal - ~L100 per year for unlimited play on two wonderful and complementary courses - a short drive from St. Andrews which makes a nice home base.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 05:25:48 PM »
Josh - I know several Westwood Ho! foreign members who see their subs as sponsoring a historic club. Most US memberships make little sense if you purely look at the cost and cost per round.
Keith - Crail is a corker but you can only play 4 rounds a year on each course and take 4 guests per annum.

A Deal member who died a couple of years ago paid £500 for life at Ballybunion and a mate paid £1000 around 20 years ago!
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Pearce

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 04:40:45 AM »
Full membership at Crail is only £350pa.  Full membership at Silloth is £410 and overseas membership is £250.  I'm sure there are plenty  of similar values among 2nd tier clubs.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Martin Toal

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 05:40:37 AM »
Joe

Where in the US would you be flying from, and which UK/I airports are available for a direct flight?

I agree with Mark that practicality is critical.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 06:29:56 PM »
According to the Nairn & Portnoo web-site, international life membership in 2011 was €3,500.

Joe, how old are you? Nearing retirement? If you're a senior (over 55 I think), you can play in the Donegal Seniors competitions at courses such as Rosapenna and Ballyliffin for €10. I guess you'd have to be a member of an Ulster club to be eligible.

The following Golfing Union of Ireland (GUI) site allows you to search memberships throughout Ireland:

http://www.gui.ie/home/playing-golf/membership-search.aspx
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 06:35:26 PM by Dónal Ó Ceallaigh »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 10:33:55 PM »
When I go to Saunton or RND I fly into Bristol.  It is an easy drive to the clubs.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 01:58:26 AM »
Tommy those local connections are great, as long as they remain active. Lots of Brits came unstuck buying rural French cottages on the back of Ryanair flying to out of the way places. They caught a cold when Mr O'Leary ditched his unprofitable routes and they were suddenly 2-3 hours from an airport.
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Pearce

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 02:12:24 AM »
Though getting to Bristol will never be that difficult.  Connections are important here, I admit, but the reality is that the UK is a small country and only the real extremes are or ever will be that tricky to get to.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 02:21:08 AM »
Mark agreed but there are plenty of places where a 2-3 hour drive would soon become a pain after the novelty of the place wears off. Birmingham or Manchester to Harlech would grate after a couple of visits. Even LHR to Haunstanton and Woodhall Spa is a bit of a ball ache.
Cave Nil Vino

Frank Pont

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 03:17:37 AM »
Full membership at Machrihanish is 300 GBP, my lifetime overseas membership at Carne was 1200 euros 15 years ago.

I never tire of the 3 hour Glasgow to Machrihanish road trip, some of the most spectacular and varied scenes in Scotland.

The 4 hour road to Carne from Dublin/Belfast through Ireland is a bore though..... I haven't tried the flight into Knock yet.

David_Tepper

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 07:13:21 AM »
Remember, if it was "easy" to get to some of these more remote places, there would be little point in going to them. ;)

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 01:33:21 PM »
David that's very true, but would you want to go there every year transatlantic for 20 years? Dornoch is a lovely little town but there are plenty of very good courses in "gritty" locations.

Frank on my only visit to Machrihanish it rained non-stop the whole weekend making the journey less exciting! We arrived on the Friday, got drowned and gave up after 5 or 6 holes and spent 10 hours on the lash until 2am. Saturday was just heavy rain so we completed the round and Sunday was wet followed with another long drive back to Glasgow. I loved the course and it "owes me one" for a return trip!!
Cave Nil Vino

Martin Toal

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 04:43:28 PM »
Full membership at Machrihanish is 300 GBP, my lifetime overseas membership at Carne was 1200 euros 15 years ago.

I never tire of the 3 hour Glasgow to Machrihanish road trip, some of the most spectacular and varied scenes in Scotland.

The 4 hour road to Carne from Dublin/Belfast through Ireland is a bore though..... I haven't tried the flight into Knock yet.

Knock is famous for the long runway. The priest who campaigned to get the airport built got some money from the US military and as chance would have it, it turns out that the runway is long enough for fully laden bombers to land and take off.

You can also fly to Shannon and drive up, or Derry (Eglinton) and drive down.

JMEvensky

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 04:46:59 PM »

The priest who campaigned to get the airport built got some money from the US military and as chance would have it, it turns out that the runway is long enough for fully laden bombers to land and take off.

Woody Allen couldn't have written that sentence.

Jud_T

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2013, 05:15:55 PM »
Brora Country Membership- 250 Sterling p.a.
Hunstanton- 2 Country Memberships (fees unavailable)
K Club- $25,000 +1,250 Euro/ annum
Gleneagles- 500 Sterling + 3,250 annual
Gullane- Overseas available (fees unavailable)
Murcar- Overseas- 160 Sterling p.a.
The Machrie- 160 Sterling p.a.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 06:05:14 PM by Jud T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

David_Tepper

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2013, 05:44:07 PM »
"David that's very true, but would you want to go there every year transatlantic for 20 years? Dornoch is a lovely little town but there are plenty of very good courses in "gritty" locations. "

Mark -

This will be the 10th year of making two round trips at year between San Francisco & Dornoch and I expect to be doing the same for at least another 10 years. That is how I am voting on the matter. ;)

DT

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back