News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Forrest Richardson

Re:Odoriferous Courses....
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2003, 09:21:41 AM »
Oh manure, I'm sorry.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

JohnV

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2003, 09:38:54 AM »
Lately the only bad smell I've encountered around a golf course is from my own game. :(

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2003, 12:59:23 PM »
Taking another path on this thread..

The "best smelling" courses I've played are Belgrade Lakes, ME (pine trees galore), and Pacific Dunes, OR (glorious salt air.)

Of course, Pine Valley smells very good too!

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2003, 04:53:55 PM »
Outside St. Louis in Washington, MO, there is a course called Wolf Hollow.  In the hot, humid summers, the nearby farms (not sure if cattle or perhaps small scale pig farms), occasionally lend that wonderful rural odor that just can't be compared.  Also, a course closer in called Aberdeen has a hole that runs by part of a cow pasture that contains a lovely swamp - another great olfactory experience on a warm summer day.

On the east side, you have Gateway National.  While it is close to a landfill, I have never been assaulted by the odors; however, you often get the sounds from the neighboring Gateway Raceway - be it stock cars, dragsters or what have you.

All are pretty good courses otherwise.

Steve
Steve Pozaric

MBL

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2003, 11:31:27 AM »
StevePoz,

I feel bad that you have never 'experienced' all of the wonders Gateway National has to offer: with the correct prevailing winds, the odoriferous content is less that of the nearby landfills than the adjoining rendering plants.  More than once I have literally choked my way through holes #3-7 with what I can only describe as a 'cat food' cloud enveloping every pore of my being -- truly a brutal hazard!

As for the nearby speedway, I merely refer to the dragsters, et.al. as 'noise hazards'.  

And don't get me wrong - my handicap is registered through Gateway Natl - the course is a wonderful, linksy-style, Keith Foster design.  A great place to play golf - and experience all the East Side of St. Louis has to offer ;)

Allan Long

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2003, 12:35:32 PM »
Industry Hills' (outside L.A., CA) two courses were built on a
former landfill and another landfill sits within a mile or two of the courses. Better hope those Santa Ana's don't kick up.

Up near Huckaby, there is Santa Clara. I don't know if it is built
on or near a landfill, but it was so bad the day I played there
we called it a day after 9.

I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2003, 02:14:00 PM »
Here in Dubuque we get that same "pasture" effect on a course called The Meadows...with just the right winds the smell of cows and pigs abound...yuk!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2003, 04:23:28 PM »
MB:

Perhaps you have played at Gateway in more varying conditions than I, but I have yet to experience "all" that the east side offers while playing there (we did, however, when it was first open, miss the turn and ended up going through Brooklyn at 7 am on a Sunday morning - for those that don't know, let's just say that I am told you would not find a lot of preachers who frequent most of the establishments that comprise Brooklyn, IL).

Sorry the weather was against us on Friday; hopefully we can reschedule soon.

Steve poz
Steve Pozaric

Evan_Green

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2003, 04:00:11 PM »
Metropolitan GL which just reopened (used to have another name which i cant remember) in Oakland, CA, like Shoreline in Mtn. View is built on a landfill and has small curved pipes to emit the methane gasses below so the place doesnt blow up- also it is within 1/2 a mile of Oakland Airport and a busy tributary road to the Airport- that and the plastic tarps that sit in the hazards there make Metropolitan one of the ugliest and smelliest courses I have played

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2003, 11:13:16 PM »
Willamette Valley in Canby OR has a Sewage Treatment plant just off of the 10 green.  I mean right off of the green.  It smelled mighty poorly last Sunday.  

The club should be in very good shape if ever required to utilize reclaimed H20.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back