News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Bartman

Re: Everything Is a 290 Carry Now
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2013, 03:17:55 PM »
We know that the PGA Tour hasn't played in significant winds except in Hawaii for the tournament of Champions , which was a very limited field. 

We also know the west coast course are near sea level and don't have many significant downhill driver holes after Kapalua ( 6 and 9 @ pebble, maybe 1 hole at Spyglass, but not many off the top of my head. ) 

So maybe if we take those holes out, its 70/100  that is still a significant % for players with 290 carries. 

If the number wasn't 95/100 and only 60/100 you might have an argument, but the % are so dramatic to think that ALL of those drives came on 3-6 holes doesn't seem likely.  Not to mention that we know just by watching that 40 guys can carry it 290 all day long. 
Still need to play Pine Valley!!

Doug Siebert

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2013, 01:59:45 AM »
I'm not arguing against the idea that most pros can carry it 290, I believe they can.  I just question how useful a single max carry for the year number is, which was what my personal example was intended to illustrate.  Even if the winds haven't been all that significant on tour this year, a 10-15 mph wind with a bit of downhill could make a 280 carry 300, or close to it.

I'd guess any pro that has an average carry over 275 can probably make a 290 carry at will.  Like all of us, they don't swing at 100% and have some extra yardage in reserve.  But unlike most of us (myself included) they can actually access those extra yards without too much risk.  If I reach back for an extra 20-30 yards off the tee I might get 20-30 more yards, I might get 50 less yards, or might miss the fairway by 60 yards - or some combination of two out of those three - so I learned long ago it is better not to try it except in scrambles or when I'm pissed enough about my play for the day that I've stopped caring :)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Jud_T

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2013, 12:17:49 PM »
Who knows what lofts they are playing, but Tiger and Phil easily hit their 3 woods 300 yards yesterday in relatively soft conditions.  Oh, and Dustin Johnson hit his tee shot on 13 (?) a smooth 357.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

C. Squier

« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2013, 12:43:47 PM »
For guys that workout, run, eat, live and breath golf I'm happy for them that they can hit a 3 wood 40 yards further than we can. 

I can't imagine a basketball forum complaining that Lebron can hit his head on the rim when he jumps.  Give it up folks, they're better than we are.

David Ober

« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2013, 01:06:57 PM »
For guys that workout, run, eat, live and breath golf I'm happy for them that they can hit a 3 wood 40 yards further than we can. 

I can't imagine a basketball forum complaining that Lebron can hit his head on the rim when he jumps.  Give it up folks, they're better than we are.

Yep. but I'd still like to seem them play more golf on tight, shorter courses where they can't hit driver every hole. Drives 'em nuts!!  ;D

Thomas Dai

« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2013, 01:21:33 PM »
I recall when I first started playing golf back in Yee Olde Dark Ages having it explained to me by my teaching pro that for the best players a par-3 meant one shot to the green plus 2 putts. That a par-4 meant two shots to the green and then 2 putts and that a par-5 was a hole which would need three full shots to get to the green and then 2 putts and would generally be played with a driver, a fairway wood and a short iron.

Let's see Dustin Johnson - driver 357, fairway wood (say) 310, short iron/full wedge (say) 150 that's an 817 yard hole.

Let's take this a step further for an imaginary 18-hole pro-tour championship course.

Say 4 x par-5's at circa 800 yds each
Say 4 x par-3's at circa 200 yds each (about a mid/short iron for DJ)
Say 10 x par-4's at circa 600 yds each (a 357 DJ drive plus a mid iron)

Total length of imaginary par-72 18-hole pro-tour championship course = 10,000 yards.

The modern player isn't better, he's just longer, and that length is because the pro-tour at the highest level is now, with a few exceptions, largely full of athletically tuned-in fitness junkies who eat the correct foods, drink the right liquids, practice like hell, have great tuition from when they were kids, travel in ways that are less tiring, stay in better accommodation and get generally pampered. They are IMO not better players, not better ball strikers. They're just bigger and fitter and are better looked after and that combined with the new generation of balls, equipment and custom fitting means the pro-tour game, and probably the game for high level amateurs as well, is now a game 'none of us are familiar with'. It's gone crazy.

Rant over.

All the best.

David_Elvins

« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2013, 10:08:06 PM »
So, Hunter Mahan finished 14 over, tied with Ian Woosnam and behind stadler and Watson.

Maybe trying to develop a 290 yard drive is not the best idea afterall. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

jeffwarne

« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2013, 11:19:58 PM »
Who knows what lofts they are playing, but Tiger and Phil easily hit their 3 woods 300 yards yesterday in relatively soft conditions.  Oh, and Dustin Johnson hit his tee shot on 13 (?) a smooth 357.

Jud,
Tiger is obviously long with his 3 wood, as is Phil, but Phil's "phrankenwood" is 9 degrees with a driver length shaft so it's not a 3 wood (no doubt Phil is long with a 3 wood too) but the fairways were running out pretty good yesterday, and even today after all the rain.
Dustin hit it over the trees on the corner on 13 (so probably more like 355 ;D)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jason Thurman

« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2013, 11:28:53 PM »
Are players today any more accurate from 190 yards than players from the 1970s?

I hear a lot of freaking out when someone hits 8 iron from 190, but are they actually any more accurate with it than players years ago were with a 5 iron from the same distance?
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back