News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

Trifecta for Penn State turfgrass program
« on: April 11, 2013, 08:47:58 AM »
"For the first time, the (Penn State University’s turf science program) has produced all three superintendents for this year’s U.S.- based major golf tournaments -- the Masters; the U.S. Open; and the PGA Championship."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-11/forks-join-bluegrass-in-education-of-masters-greenskeeper.html

Quite impressive representation...

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Ed Homsey

Re: Trifecta for Penn State turfgrass program
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 09:19:36 PM »
As Chairman of the Travis Society's scholarship program, I am taking note of this thread.  We have had several terrific students apply for our scholarship, and I hope that we continue to have applicants from the Penn St Turfgrass program.  My congratulations to John Kaminski and others at Penn St for the success of their students.

Ed Homsey
www.travissociety.com 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 02:00:02 PM »
The Penn State and Michigan State turf programs are the most "connected" in terms of internships to the top-50 courses, and these connections continue to provide them opportunities at prestigious clubs.  Those two are kind of the Harvard and Yale of turf schools.

That said, the majority of the very best superintendents I've meet did not attend either school, just like the majority of the top professionals in other fields did not go to Harvard or Yale.

PGertner

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 04:36:34 PM »
Quite an accomplishment Dr. Duich, the late George Hamilton, John Kaminski and Penn State!! Congratulations for being recognized for providing life changing education and opportunity for its many graduates, myself included!

Also, congrats to us for being so "well connected" because heck, they obviously are the reason for the success of the program's graduates. My greens are dead every year and I just received another 4 year contract because I attended PSU!!! Wooohooo....life is good being a PSU grad!!! 

And...happy to see once again that by the 3rd posting of this topic GCA has turned into a forum to throw a negative tone into a simple recognition of achievement. All, from the roof of a bulldozer. Sheesh.

Patrick Gertner
Potowomut Golf Club
East Greenwich, RI 

Ben Sims

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 05:25:36 PM »
Tom,

Your post reminds me of the most common complaints that I hear from ROTC grads or Officer Candidate School guys in regards to Academy grads.  They whine and moan about entitled attitudes, the 60 days of paid leave I got the summer I graduated, the fact that we all "know" each other, etc.  Then they like to retort that they had an actual college experience, knew some girls, yada yada yada.

The fact of the matter is that once you get to a certain level, the cream rises regardless of which dairy farm it came from.  I've never understood the need to facilitate one's own existence by belittling the experiences of others.  Especially when those experiences both produce solid results.

It's an interesting post of yours for two reasons.  1)  You went to--arguably--Golf Architecture U.  I imagine that Cornell's reputation as a proving ground for a slew of talented architects helped you and many after you. 2) The best superintendent I know did attend Penn State.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 01:18:43 AM »
It's an interesting post of yours for two reasons.  1)  You went to--arguably--Golf Architecture U.  I imagine that Cornell's reputation as a proving ground for a slew of talented architects helped you and many after you. 2) The best superintendent I know did attend Penn State.

Ben:

I've certainly benefitted over the years from having graduated from an Ivy League school, because people draw all sorts of conclusions about what that means about someone.  But, having attended an Ivy League school, I am personally not inclined to think that it means as much as many people think it does.

Also, you should check your timeline on when all of those talented architects went to Cornell.

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 10:06:39 AM »
(Warning: thread jack)

In the Midwest, the best school to attend to be a head superintendent is the Sam Mackenzie grounds department working education at Olympia Fields Country Club. Sam's guys are head superintendents at  Beverly, Harbor Shores, Glen Club, and now Midlothian (I may have forgotten one somewhere).  :D
That was one hellacious beaver.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back