News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Grant Saunders

Rugged Bunkers in a Highly Manicured Landscape
« on: April 11, 2013, 05:05:23 AM »
With the Masters upon us and the constant visuals of Augusta readily available, there is often the proposal that a return to the Mackenzie style bunkers would be a welcomed move.

I understand this concept and think that in the context of how the course as a whole appeared when the good Dr cast his influence upon the land, this would make sense.

However.....

I for one happen to feel that the current bunker  style fits in well with the way the course exists today. I believe that anything short of an immaculately edged bunker would stick out like the proverbial dogs balls and not in a positive light. Agree with it or not (this thread isnt about that argument) the way Augusta is maintained is entirely up to their membership. I think that when viewed as an overall presentation, the current bunker style complements the other facets of the course and completes the package strongly.

The trend towards a naturalised looking bunker is strong within the architectural movement today and while I applaud its use in some instances, I see it used in situations where to me it seems out of place.

This picture from Kyle Hendersons excellent photo tour of the California Club, is for me an example where the jagged edge look clashes with the highly manicured fairway. I struggle to rationalise the long soft lines of the fairway and surrounding area with the sharp movement of the bunker edge.

I think too much emphasis can be placed on viewing one aspect of a golf course (bunker style, green contours etc) and its good to assess things also how they fit into the wider perspective. There a lot to be said for a complete package that is solid across the board without any real standout points. Cohesion can be very underrated.

Randy Thompson

Re: Rugged Bunkers in a Highly Manicured Landscape
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 11:05:29 AM »
I agree with everything your saying and have voiced much of the same in the past. There are places where it works. especially in a links enviroment but I think it is getting over used. The photo you posted for me is borderline and both type of bunkers could work but I have seen so many courses where it really crashes!

Alex Miller

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 11:08:39 AM »
What are your thoughts on the 10th hole fariway bunker? Aesthetically it's my personal favorite on the course.

David Ober

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 01:41:11 PM »
In the above photo, I think it works because of the trees in that area of the world. The bunkers actually mimic the lines and flow of the trees to my eye: jagged and misshapen. I love those bunkers juxtaposed with those trees....

Brad Tufts

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 02:28:59 PM »
In the above photo, I think it works because of the trees in that area of the world. The bunkers actually mimic the lines and flow of the trees to my eye: jagged and misshapen. I love those bunkers juxtaposed with those trees....

I see Grant's point, but I was thinking exactly was David says above.  I don't like some courses that have jagged-edge bunkers just for the sake of it...some even look like a pattern.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Grant Saunders

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 02:57:28 PM »
What are your thoughts on the 10th hole fariway bunker? Aesthetically it's my personal favorite on the course.

Alex

I think I would like to see that bunker as viewed how the hole is played to make up my mind on it. Most images I can recall show it from the air or some other elevated position. I will watch the coverage of the 10th closely and see if I can answer your question better. It does still have a sharp edge consistent with the other bunkers but the outline has more movement.

Grant Saunders

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 03:03:31 PM »

I actually think the inspiration is the distant hills which it does a great job of following the top line. My issue is the surrounding area on the course. Some variety in colour and texture such as browning off areas of grass or some long wispy rough would break up the monotone palate and support the randomness that the bunker edge is conveying.

Brian Chapin

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 08:44:15 PM »
I actually think the aesthetic problem is not the "rugged bunker" itself but more importantly how well maintained the rugged bunker is.  I'd argue that it has nothing to do with the landscape, but rather the maintenance practices.  

If that bunker edge was exactly the same lines but sandy, broken, scalped and truly rugged I bet it would look much better.  It might also look fine as more subtle, flowing lines with a clean edge too, but the highly maintained "rugged look" doesn't work for me.  

This is my biggest complaint with Sebonack too.  Its just a little too pretty for my taste.

By the way, not a knock on the supers as they both are obviously highly skilled and performing at a damn high level...  just my personal taste.

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 10:06:43 PM »

I feel these bunkers do have a place but context is an important consideration.  For me the above example is well executed, that said, like other posters I have seen poor examples that are seemingly overdone and out of character.

The query that runs through my mind when I look at such work relates to the construction costs and maintenance requirements associated with the trend. No doubt there are high-end clubs with the means to afford the necessary detail work that goes hand in hand with these bunkers – at the same time I suspect that there will be clubs where a proportion of these edges smooth out over time due to budget constraints.

Lyne

Nick Church

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 12:47:24 PM »
Every time I see the FW bunker on 10 at Augusta, I can't help but be frustrated by its artificial shaping.  The tongues don't flow to my eye. 

Paul Gray

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 12:58:59 PM »

I feel these bunkers do have a place but context is an important consideration.  For me the above example is well executed, that said, like other posters I have seen poor examples that are seemingly overdone and out of character.

The query that runs through my mind when I look at such work relates to the construction costs and maintenance requirements associated with the trend. No doubt there are high-end clubs with the means to afford the necessary detail work that goes hand in hand with these bunkers – at the same time I suspect that there will be clubs where a proportion of these edges smooth out over time due to budget constraints.

Lyne

+1

Immediately my mind leads to Harry Colt. There was a man who understood the style of bunker required for the land being used.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 01:06:59 PM »
Every time I see the FW bunker on 10 at Augusta, I can't help but be frustrated by its artificial shaping.  The tongues don't flow to my eye. 

That's too bad, it's about all that's left of Mackenzie there except for the routing!

Jud_T

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 02:54:16 PM »
Isn't the idea for a bunker to look as if it might be naturally occurring?  A burrow for animals or at least drunken members?  Maybe I'm completely brainwashed by the current aesthetic but I just can't get my head around the look of clearly man-made bunkers that couldn't possibly occur in nature.  I know this only really makes sense on a course based on sand, but I feel that perfectly edged bunkers with smooth curves appear dated, even if they play perfectly fine and are easier to maintain.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

michael damico

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 04:22:14 PM »

That's too bad, it's about all that's left of Mackenzie there except for the routing!

was it Fazio who moved that green site back to where it presently sits? Not only taking this bunker out of play, but eventually elevating the green slightly as opposed to the appearance of the green dropping out behind the bunker?

please correct me...
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
                                                                -fz

Adam Clayman

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 09:12:50 AM »
While the visual is one aspect. the psychological trumps it.

A pro or accomplished player, given a finite distance to carry, will only feel warm and fuzzy about the task. With a jagged edge, that carry distance is different depending on the line. Ergo, there's doubt interjected in the mind's eye of the golfer.

Clean straight lines are so rare in nature, it's the clean edged bunkers, that are most often out of place.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 10:17:30 AM »
Looks okay to me.  Are they well placed?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Sean Leary

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 10:19:08 AM »

was it Fazio who moved that green site back to where it presently sits? Not only taking this bunker out of play, but eventually elevating the green slightly as opposed to the appearance of the green dropping out behind the bunker?

please correct me...

No, it was way before Fazio.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 11:40:01 AM »
I agree on the aesthetics but other than that it is totally useless.  Tillie called these the Duffer's Curse as the only one who ever hits in them is a high handicapper.

I wonder how often a shot gets hit from this bunker during the Masters?  I don't remember seeing a shot hit from there but I suppose it could if a player has to lay up after hitting a tee shot into the trees.  If Bubba wasn't able to hit a huge hook last year his layup would have been by the bunker.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 01:03:03 PM »
Isn't the idea for a bunker to look as if it might be naturally occurring?  A burrow for animals or at least drunken members?  Maybe I'm completely brainwashed by the current aesthetic but I just can't get my head around the look of clearly man-made bunkers that couldn't possibly occur in nature.  I know this only really makes sense on a course based on sand, but I feel that perfectly edged bunkers with smooth curves appear dated, even if they play perfectly fine and are easier to maintain.

I agree generally, but that look isn't going to mesh at Augusta. Maybe somewhat better at other inland courses that are a bit more scruffy, but you're still talking about areas where "natural" bunkers wouldn't occur anyway, so there's little point in going for that look.

I would like to see Augusta go to a more MacKenzie-influenced shape for some of their bunkers, even if they retain the crisp edges. That bunker on 10 is the prototype. It's highly manicured and somewhat out of place in the environment but at least it has an aesthetic quality to it. There's not another bunker on the course you can say that about.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 01:12:18 PM »

please correct me...

No, it was way before Fazio.

It was moved in 1937 as part of the changes to the course made by Maxwell.  The most cited reason for the change was that the hollow where the green sat collected water.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Josh Smith

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 03:50:25 PM »
Grant,

I am personally sort of flattered that you would draw comparison with Cal Club and a restored look at Augusta.  Both places have expansive fairway cuts, and were Designed / Re-designed by The Good Doctor with very interesting bunker shapes and fun playing angles.  While I see your point about mixing "sweet and savory", I think you have mislabeled Cal Club.  Maybe you visited at the wrong time, did you visit?  We are only really "green" following a quarterly fertilization, and enjoy the burnt out tones of fine fescue natives, as well as predominantly fine fescue often off color playing surfaces, and bunker edges the rest of the year.  Personally I prefer a more natural look, like I feel we do well here at Cal Club.  I would be totally for it if a place like Augusta were to get back to their old shapes.  Universally, I worry about your comment "anything short of an immaculately edged bunker would stick out".  Yikes, I would prefer to never again see "immaculately edged" HAZARDS.   

Cal Club's calling card is its fine fescue playing surfaces, true greens, generous tee ball landing areas, numerous and well placed bunkers, tricky second shots and natural presentation being all about golf.  We try to make it as natural and links like as we can, but do allow carts, which makes that a tougher task than at a Ballyneal or Bandon.  Seasonally our conditions vary a little, but overall we are very low input and low maintenance on fairways, tees, approaches, bunkers as well.  That is one of the many beauties of fine fescue, it grows slowly and doesn't require much fertility or trimming in comparison with other grasses.  You won't catch us Armor All-ing sprinkler heads, fertilizing each fortnight or even every month or two, dying turf green, or edging our natural cart paths.   As the assistant greenskeeper here, and guy who shaped a small handful of these bunkers and now help maintain them, I am a bit salted and surprised by your nomination of Cal Club as being in this category.  "Highly manicured fairways" are three words I have never heard together to describe Cal Club.  In respect to the bunkers, we began a couple years after the project to selectively let sections of them grow out and pop seedheads more...after the initial grow-in fertility had worn off.  Before that it just wouldn't work.

Thanks,

Josh Smith

Now a few photos to from my cellphone to offset your implication...(most of my cell phone photos of Cal Club are things we need to improve, but here are a few decent ones that might highlight a bit more of our naturalness as opposed to highly manicured)

Grant Saunders

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 07:01:04 PM »
Grant,

I am personally sort of flattered that you would draw comparison with Cal Club and a restored look at Augusta.  Both places have expansive fairway cuts, and were Designed / Re-designed by The Good Doctor with very interesting bunker shapes and fun playing angles.  While I see your point about mixing "sweet and savory", I think you have mislabeled Cal Club.  Maybe you visited at the wrong time, did you visit?  We are only really "green" following a quarterly fertilization, and enjoy the burnt out tones of fine fescue natives, as well as predominantly fine fescue often off color playing surfaces, and bunker edges the rest of the year.  Personally I prefer a more natural look, like I feel we do well here at Cal Club.  I would be totally for it if a place like Augusta were to get back to their old shapes.  Universally, I worry about your comment "anything short of an immaculately edged bunker would stick out".  Yikes, I would prefer to never again see "immaculately edged" HAZARDS.   

Cal Club's calling card is its fine fescue playing surfaces, true greens, generous tee ball landing areas, numerous and well placed bunkers, tricky second shots and natural presentation being all about golf.  We try to make it as natural and links like as we can, but do allow carts, which makes that a tougher task than at a Ballyneal or Bandon.  Seasonally our conditions vary a little, but overall we are very low input and low maintenance on fairways, tees, approaches, bunkers as well.  That is one of the many beauties of fine fescue, it grows slowly and doesn't require much fertility or trimming in comparison with other grasses.  You won't catch us Armor All-ing sprinkler heads, fertilizing each fortnight or even every month or two, dying turf green, or edging our natural cart paths.   As the assistant greenskeeper here, and guy who shaped a small handful of these bunkers and now help maintain them, I am a bit salted and surprised by your nomination of Cal Club as being in this category.  "Highly manicured fairways" are three words I have never heard together to describe Cal Club.  In respect to the bunkers, we began a couple years after the project to selectively let sections of them grow out and pop seedheads more...after the initial grow-in fertility had worn off.  Before that it just wouldn't work.

Thanks,

Josh Smith

Josh

Firstly, I would just like to say how much I like your paintings.

Secondly, I am going to put my hand up and admit to committing (in the eyes of many on here) cardinal GCA offence number 1 and judging something by photo and not having seen it with my own eyes.

Seeing the photos you have posted, I understand your quick defence of the Cal Club and why you may feel my comments are directed towards it as a negative. When observed in a broader scope, the styling as a whole certainly does seem to work together well. The photo I choose was simply the first one I could find out of several that I could recall that seemed to illustrate my view on the subject.

Here are some photos from a bunker redevelopment at Cork Golf Club. These probably highlight my point a little better. (www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48015.0.html)

My opinion is simply based around the golf course package as a whole and how I am a fan of cohesion within presentation. “Liquorice allsorts” (sorry, a NZ phrase for mixed) styles and themes I believe detract from a product and over emphasis on certain aspects can negatively overshadow other features. Augusta have chosen their style and administered it across the entire spectrum in a very consistent fashion. That style incorporates the highest level of detail combined with sharpness in mowing lines/edges, square tees, uniform colours, etc. A great deal of thought and effort have gone into their style and I believe (again, judging without having been there)  that it succeeds extremely well. Part of that success in achieving the consistency is the crisply edged bunkers with the long gentle perimeters.

As I noted at the start, there often seems to be an opinion that Augusta bunkering should be reverted to the look from when it was first created. I am of the opinion that it wouldn’t gel with the rest of the presentation and would look very foreign in that current environment.

Below are some photos of a bunker remodel where the original look which was not harmonious with the surroundings and a style that reflects the environment was implemented.

4th Green before:

4th Green after:

9th Fairway before:

9th Fairway after:

Golf courses should not be subjected to a one size fits all approach. Personal taste should not be a benchmark for quality. Golf is a richer game for the wide variety that exists.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 07:28:33 PM »
An observation from the Masters is that the 10 fairway bunker is interesting because it sits atop a mound in the center of the fairway. If the bunker were to be missed left or right the ball would run away from it to the edges. A ball in the bunker may be preferable to a miss to the right. Although you would never know it because the pros fly right over it. I would be surprised if there were more than a ball a day in the FW bunker during the tournament.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 07:30:10 PM »

My thoughts were "What are you going to do next? Shave the trees to perfect cylindrical poles?" David essentially expressed my thought.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Josh Smith

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2013, 04:11:24 PM »
Grant,

Thanks for the kind words about my paintings, as well as understanding my full court press defense.

Sincerely,

Josh

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back