News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jeffwarne

Re: Tom Doak on Augusta Podcast with Hal Phillips
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 07:52:35 AM »
Very nice, Thanks Mike.

A really good plug for Palmetto to boot
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Colin Sheehan

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 11:02:57 AM »
I enjoyed the interview.

I was surprised that Hal didn't include Perry Maxwell among the list of architects who have made changes since the original draft. Might he have made more changes than anyone else until the last 15 years? I remember Ben Crenshaw telling me he re-did about six greens. 

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 12:03:12 PM »
Interesting discussion.  Sounds like there was high tea being served in the background.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Dave McCollum

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 03:58:45 PM »
My, what has happened to L'enfant terrible who started penning the CG back in the 80’s? The post-50 TD is actually quite respectful of his elders and their intent and motivation for tweaking ANGC for the Masters.  Not a trace of cop-out, in my view; just an honest, fair assessment of the evolution of the course and how that differs from his own evolved body of work during his career.  As usual, one of the more reasoned and thoughtful voices in the treehouse.  Lends credibility and perspective, I thought, to his views about changes to TOC and the tournament held there every five years or so.

Not to speak for Tom, but I was reminded of something said a few days ago (by Jeff Ware?) that ANGC is unique in providing a stern test for the best golfers on the planet while remaining enjoyable for the 28 capper.  I hope this viewpoint goes beyond all the exclusivity and miraculous conditioning of the course and is an inspirational example of brilliant architecture as both a work of art and a pleasure to experience.

Of course, I’ve never been near the place and know next to nothing about places like ANGC.  As a really OT personal aside, no, irrelevant threadjack, I have a confession.  I have one friend and one relative who have played there and have chatted with them about what it was like.  A few years ago the friend caught up with me on the first tee and asked me if I wanted to play Augusta.  He’d been offered the chance to play it again and wanted to know if I’d like to take his place in the group.  Of course he knew my passion for seeing a few great courses.  He’s a teacher and said that he just couldn’t afford the trip.  He explained the details, the timing (decide right now, buy a ticket), and the probable cost.  I thought about it for maybe ten seconds, then said “pay $XXXX just to play golf?  Naw, I’m with you, too rich for the likes of me.”  I’ve never regretted the decision.  About as close to regret as I get is reading about some poor soul’s quest to play some holy grail list of wonderful courses and has played them all except the holiest of holy (access wise), and I said “no thanks” just because of a few dollars.  What an ungrateful, cheap bastard I must be.  It just wasn’t that important to me.  I admit that since then, if the offer were for a couple of other masterpieces, even with a similar price tag, I might decide otherwise.  Just one of those choices we make.

Cliff Walston

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 06:42:34 PM »
Interesting to compare Tom's answer to back in 2001 when asked the same question in his feature interview.  No mention of width in 2001 for obvious reasons.

From TD's 2001 GCA Feature Interview:

6. If Augusta National brought you in to consult, what would you suggest to them?

That’s not going to happen; Augusta puts The Masters ahead of MacKenzie on its priority list. Actually, though there have been innumberable changes to the course, I don’t think that many of them are in conflict with MacKenzie’s ideals. I don’t believe restoring the original seventh green or tenth green or sixteenth hole would make it a better course. The swale at the 13th is probably the most incongruous feature out there. That old boomerang green at the ninth might have been interesting, too.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back