News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Dolton

Lindrick ?
« on: April 04, 2013, 11:36:58 AM »
Any views on ex Ryder Cup course Lindrick. Haven't played it but looking too. Also other courses nearby. I've played at Notts and Sherwood Forest, both are very good. Perhaps Coxmoor?

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Lindrick ?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 12:00:55 PM »
Paul, our man in that part of the midlands is Boon....James Boon.

I expect you'll be hearing from him.

Let's make GCA grate again!

James Boon

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 03:38:27 PM »
Thanks Tony,

Paul,

Here is a link to a photo tour I did several years ago (assuming you want to spoil the surprise of course?)  ;D

2, 4 and 13 are the stand out holes for me. Some pretty solid stuff in between these and the last is well known as a longish par 3. Its always been in great condition when I've played, and before he crossed the pond, Lee Westwood was a member here (as well as his home club Worksop). The rather busy A57 road needs to be crossed to get to the 12th through 17th holes, which can be a bit of a pain but at least its a long straight road and so not as bad as the crossing from 14 to 15 at Liphook!  :o

Mr Arble's tour of Coxmoor is here...
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,46538.0.html
After that, it depends where you are staying and how long you are around?

Send me a PM if you want to meet up or if you fancy a game at Notts while in the area?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 05:11:10 PM »
Paul,

well worth a visit. Some great holes on the course though the loss of the old 12th some years ago was a shame. As James says 2 & 13 are really good holes as are 6 through to 11 though unlike James I have never really appreciated the 4th. Hallamshire is worth a look though I would suggest Alwoodley or Moortown might also be worth the hours drive. Coxmoor is good and Worksop is also not to shabby.

Jon

James Boon

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 06:47:36 PM »
Jon,

I can understand not appreciating the 4th. Its not really a great golf hole, a par 5 with a relatively straightforward drive followed by either an easy layup or a blind shot at a hidden green. But ever since my first go at it, I've always loved the thrill of going for the green in two and getting to the edge of the drop to see where the ball has ended up.

I wish I'd managed to play it before they moved the 12th across the road.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 04:33:08 AM »
James,

I always played Lindrick in competitions and so always laid up short of the drop on the 4th. The old twelth was a long, dogleg left of a par 4 with a large green. It usually required a long iron/fairway wood second into the green with OOB close to the left. The flatness of the ground and the fact it ran slightly away from you at the green meant distance perception was really tough. Even after hitting the green a 3 putt was always an easy result due to the size of the green and the subtle borrows.This hole was one of the best in the country and its replacement hole was awful.

Jon

John Ezekowitz

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 10:12:40 AM »
I played it on a very windy day and really liked the 15th hole (in addition to the ones mentioned previously). The par 3 18th that finishes right in front of the clubhouse is also a cool scene.

Paul Dolton

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 01:10:23 PM »
Thanks for advice. Will try to make use of their twilight rate. James , i'll let you know if i do go and play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back