News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Kodadek

Bermuda Golf
« on: April 08, 2013, 10:02:14 AM »
Have a buddy heading to Bermuda for a 4 nights.  Looking to play 2-3 rounds of golf.  Should all of them take place at Mid Ocean or is there a second course that is worth the visit?  I saw Port Royal mentioned a couple of times using the search archive. 

Thanks!

Brad Tufts

Re: Bermuda Golf
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 10:31:15 AM »
Hi Ben,

Mid-Ocean is obviously the one must-play.  If not in the World T100, it's easily close.  I would say Port Royal is also very worth playing, definitely above average...probably even better than when I played it last before the recent renovations.

After that it goes a bit downhill, as most are more fun for being in Bermuda than anything else.

Tucker's Point is not terrible, but has a few mind-bendingly weird holes.  Top shelf in price...way more value for the high prices at MO and PR.  Full-length, and has some history as the former Castle Harbour golf course from the 20s shared a bunch of the current hole corridors.

Belmont Hills I have not played, maybe to be remedied during my BDA trip in a couple months.  It's an old course that was totally redesigned about 10 years ago...full length.

Riddell's Bay is a short course (par 70 maybe 5900 yards) that Dev Emmet worked on at some point.  A few holes play over fingers of the inland harbor waterways, and your friend would probably not be disappointed in the least.

St. George's is a short 18 of par threes and short fours that may or may not currently be open pending developers taking control to construct a 6000+ yard Nick Faldo course one of these years.  Some pretty funky and fun stuff if it's open!

Southampton Princess is a good 18-hole par three course that I have not seen...heard it would be among the better par three courses in the world (not a deep field), but mainly for the setting and conditioning.

The last course on the island is Ocean View, a government-run 9 holer that I have not played.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Doug Wright

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 10:34:35 AM »
If he's playing 3 rounds, 2 at Mid Ocean and one at Port Royal; if he's playing 2 rounds, one at Mid Ocean and one at Port Royal.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 10:39:15 AM »
Brad covers the topic pretty well. If I had two rounds only I'd play Mid Ocean twice. If I had three I'd throw in Port Royal.

After that the rest of the courses are pretty hit and miss, and probably not worth giving up any time in the water or on a bar stool at the Swizzle Inn.
H.P.S.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 11:27:54 AM »
Swizzle Inn,

Stagger Out.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 11:47:54 AM »
Swizzle Inn,

Stagger Out.

Bars
Blackbeard's
Pickled Onion
The Beach Bar
Freddie's (for the adventurous and non-confrontational)

Restaurant
Coconuts

Golf
Mid Ocean - Did not quite live up to the hype but a very good course, wonderfulb club atmposphere (if anyone is there)
Port Royal - Lots of fun with some funky (NOT quirky) holes
Tucker's Point Club - Nice club
St George's - Too bad it is closed, lots of fun crammned into a very samll space (Perfect afternoon round location)
Belmont - Hopefull the redesign improved what was there in 2000
Riddell's Bay - OK, awfully short but some decent fun to be had
Ocean View - Some decent holes among its 9
SH Princess - I would skip... cross the highway and eat at Coconuts though

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 01:45:34 PM »
Hi Ben,

Mid-Ocean is obviously the one must-play.  If not in the World T100, it's easily close.  I would say Port Royal is also very worth playing, definitely above average...probably even better than when I played it last before the recent renovations.

After that it goes a bit downhill, as most are more fun for being in Bermuda than anything else.

Tucker's Point is not terrible, but has a few mind-bendingly weird holes.  Top shelf in price...way more value for the high prices at MO and PR.  Full-length, and has some history as the former Castle Harbour golf course from the 20s shared a bunch of the current hole corridors.

Belmont Hills I have not played, maybe to be remedied during my BDA trip in a couple months.  It's an old course that was totally redesigned about 10 years ago...full length.

Riddell's Bay is a short course (par 70 maybe 5900 yards) that Dev Emmet worked on at some point.  A few holes play over fingers of the inland harbor waterways, and your friend would probably not be disappointed in the least.

St. George's is a short 18 of par threes and short fours that may or may not currently be open pending developers taking control to construct a 6000+ yard Nick Faldo course one of these years.  Some pretty funky and fun stuff if it's open!

Southampton Princess is a good 18-hole par three course that I have not seen...heard it would be among the better par three courses in the world (not a deep field), but mainly for the setting and conditioning.

The last course on the island is Ocean View, a government-run 9 holer that I have not played.

I stayed in a cottage at the St George's Club in the '90's and had a great time.  My buddy and I played Mid-Ocean twice and in the evenings we would play a few holes at the St George's course with three clubs and a case of beer.  Lots of fun playing short par 4's with a 7-iron off the tee.  The ladies carried the beer.

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 08:11:56 PM »
I'd say Brad's got it about nailed, in pretty much the order he has them listed.
I much prefer Tucker's over Port Royal, though as the course has grown on me over time.
Like Brad, the one course I've not played is Ocean View.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 08:19:27 PM »
I really need to get a life. I love Bermuda and it has been years...

Everyone above pretty much covered it.  :D :'(

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 09:43:39 PM »
I played Mid Ocean some years ago and loved it. I think a great deal of the enjoyment of the experience was that I stayed in one of the club's cottages. That and taking a dollar or two from my host.

Like many others, if it was a three day trip it would be MO twice and once at Port Royal.

Bob

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 09:03:45 AM »
Fellas,

Thanks for the quick responses.  They have been forwarded on to my buddy.  Much appreciated!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 11:15:20 AM »
I only went to Port Royal on my first visit to Bermuda, and didn't take my clubs.  For those who have, how easy is it to get out there with your clubs to play?  I was on a scooter ... I can't think now what combination of buses / ferries you'd have to take to get there.  Could be a beautiful day -- I am glad I saw that end of the island -- but it's not just a quick hop over to the course.

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 11:20:08 AM »
I only went to Port Royal on my first visit to Bermuda, and didn't take my clubs.  For those who have, how easy is it to get out there with your clubs to play?  I was on a scooter ... I can't think now what combination of buses / ferries you'd have to take to get there.  Could be a beautiful day -- I am glad I saw that end of the island -- but it's not just a quick hop over to the course.

Tom,

The times that I've been there I've always taken a cab.
H.P.S.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 12:24:13 PM »

As I recall it was a 25-30 minute cab ride from downtown Hamilton.

Joey Chase

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 04:33:16 PM »
When I lived there, we would put the bags on our backs and take the scooters to play.  It was a 45 minute drive up to Mid Ocean and Tuckers Point from Somerset. 

Mid Ocean is without question the classic must play with some fantastic greens.  Every hole has some sort of interest for the most part.  The opening hole is a really fun to start with and it continues throughout.

I am too biased to have anything but love for Port Royal, but there are a few down holes early in the round.  If for no other reason you have to see the 16th hole there.

After those two I would play Riddles Bay before Tuckers Point as TP is outrageously expensive.  Plus I enjoy very much several holes at Riddles Bay.  I never played the Belmont course before the renovation, but really wouldn't take the time to go back as it is quite tight and mostly uninteresting. 

Before I left Bermuda, St. Georges was closed for the renovation, I would love to know where that went.  It had some truly aweful holes with nets, out of bounds.  It was a fun round in many ways though. 

Oceanview is another publicly owned course along with Port Royal and, before it was sold, St. Georges.  Not unlike several of the others, it is good golf in that you are in Bermuda and not much more. 

The Southampton par three is a fun thing to do if you wanted to sneak it in after a round at Port Royal or Riddles Bay, if on that end of the island. 

If I had only two rounds to play, one would have to be at MOC, the other would certainly be at Port Royal.  Given three, I guess it would depend on where on the island I was staying.  If in Hamilton, I would go back to Port Royal, if closer to the airport, it would be MOC.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 06:03:57 PM »

Tom,

As I remember the usual cab ride was always around $16.00 so when given a twenty that became the tip. I've never seen such pleasant cabbies.,

Bob

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 06:23:54 PM »

Tom,

As I remember the usual cab ride was always around $16.00 so when given a twenty that became the tip. I've never seen such pleasant cabbies.,

Bob

Bob, you nailed the reason I would return as often as possible to Bermuda but not to the bulk of the Caribbean. Plain and simple, the locals are friendly in Bermuda.  Not so much in Jamaica or the Virgin Islands or the Bahamas.  We rode a city bus from St George to Hamilton, everybody said hello and a couple chatted with us. It was a pleasant experience. 

PCCraig

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 09:55:17 AM »

Tom,

I've never seen such pleasant cabbies.,

Bob

Or well dressed!
H.P.S.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 10:31:02 PM »
Gents

:Loved Bermuda when i was there in 98. The maitre di's name was Paul Joy; what a tag.

Is Belmont the Devereaux Emmet course? Most dangerous site I have ever chased a ball around.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back