News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Treen

Anyone know about St. Louis's Log Cabin Club?
« on: April 06, 2013, 06:26:49 PM »
I saw a Log Cabin Club bag tag this week.  I haven't been able too find too much online.  An article from stlmag.com describes it as an intentionally understated  9-holer  with a neighboring 9-hole property, The Bogey Club, where members play their second 9.  Sounds pretty neat.

- Andy

First Assistant Professional
Taconic Golf Club

Sven Nilsen

Re: Anyone know about St. Louis's Log Cabin Club?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 06:47:50 PM »
A highly exclusive sporty Robert Foulis 9 hole course that isn't too challenging, but is sure kept in great condition.  Its the local course for the upper crust Ladue crowd that want to get in a quick 9 after work or before family obligations kick in on a Saturday.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Jeff_Stettner

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 08:33:56 PM »
There are two clubs, both technically owning nine of the eighteen holes with shared access. It's the ultimate in old-school STL... It goes beyond Upper Crust Ladue to that top stratosphere of old money Missouri. There might be 150 members between the two nine-hole clubs. The course itself is short, awkwardly routed and not terribly interesting. I also, unlike Sven, found conditions to me mediocre (soft in some spots, shaggy greens, etc.). There is a certain appeal the exclusivity of the joints, but I am unaware of any architecture buffs or serious players who get excited at the prospect of a round.

As would be expected with a course of such money and exclusivity, there are some spectacular stories that are told with a slant towards patterns of male behavior that are less tolerated these days... in most places.

David Amarnek

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 08:58:21 PM »
Jeff is absolutely spot on describing the Log Cabin Club course.  Very rudimentary routing (the same goes for its neighbor the Bogey Club) with a somewhat modest clubhouse.  I've never seen the course in what would be described as "great condition".  It was originally named for a log cabin found on the property.  The club began in 1899 and has the distinction of being the oldest club in St. Louis at the same location.
I believe there are about 75 members, many of which belong to other clubs, especially St. Louis CC.
The current nine hole course was designed by Robert Foulis, who also designed the Bogey Club, and measures about 2700 yards.
Not, in my opinion, anything to rave about, although it's about exclusive as you can get in these parts.
The Bogey Club was traditionally a club open to the CEO's of the top corporations in St. Louis in their day, i.e. Southwestern Bell, Monsanto, Ralston Purina, some of the big banks in town, etc.
I've never seen a bag tag out of town... where did you come across it?

Andy Treen

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 09:21:21 PM »
Thanks Sven, Jeff, and David for your insight.

In saw the tag in Naples, FL.  The tag hung alongside: St. Louis CC, Wianno Club, and Jupiter Island Cub member tags.  Again sounds like a neat little place.  I believe as a golf professional simplicity is almost always the answer.  Focus on the clubs strengths, either the golf course, the culture, or most importantly the game.

Thanks again.

- Andy
First Assistant Professional
Taconic Golf Club

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 09:24:26 PM »
Jeff and David:

I haven't seen the course since 1996, so my memory might be a bit off on the conditioning, or perhaps I just caught it at a peak moment.

From what I've seen the course was laid out by James Mackrell (in 1899 as noted by David), with Foulis coming in 1909, James Dalgleish in the 20's and Foulis again in the 30's.

Sven

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Sam Morrow

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 01:29:19 AM »
I'm curious about the founding of the club, I wonder if Log Cabin is a play on a famous political phrase.

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 10:43:59 AM »
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 03:39:14 PM by PCraig »
H.P.S.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 10:51:35 AM »
Sam:

The club was founded by a group of disgruntled members of The Kinloch Club.  Why they were disgruntled I don't know.  My guess would be the crowding on the course, as that seemed to be the reason for the start of quite a few clubs around the turn of the century.  

There was an old log cabin on the site they chose for the new club, hence the name.  

There's as much of a connection to the faction of the republican party that you noted as there is to the brand of maple syrup that you put on your pancakes.

Sven

Sam Morrow

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 08:45:14 PM »
Sam:

The club was founded by a group of disgruntled members of The Kinloch Club.  Why they were disgruntled I don't know.  My guess would be the crowding on the course, as that seemed to be the reason for the start of quite a few clubs around the turn of the century.  

There was an old log cabin on the site they chose for the new club, hence the name.  

There's as much of a connection to the faction of the republican party that you noted as there is to the brand of maple syrup that you put on your pancakes.

Sven

Where is the Aunt Jemima Club?

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 09:45:32 PM »
Sam:

Sven

NLE - 1964, they went public.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
Sam:

Sven

Only on GCA could I get information like that!

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 10:02:47 PM »
Sam:

Sven

Only on GCA could I get information like that!

Glad to help.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 12:56:43 PM »
Decided to update this thread as I had a chance to play the Log Cabin/Bogey Club composite, following a renovation last year. Previous characterizations of the clubs are correct. After warming up on the range at St. Louis CC, you hop in carts and take a few side roads to get the club, where you simply pull up to the 1st tee, leave your cart behind. and tee off. On a spectacular fall Saturday there was one other foursome on the grounds.

The work was handled by Roger Null, a local long time superintendent at Old Warson, Norwood Hills and Boone Valley, who has a few renovation projects and at least 1 original design to his name.

There was extensive tree removal, as well widening fairways and replacing Bermuda with Zoysia grass - which you can see from the pictures was beginning to go dormant, but is at its absolute fastest and firmest in the fall. Here is how the course feels now with more short grass

The picture below is an example of the tree removal. This is hole #5 and #7 on the Log Cabin side, where previously trees lined the split where the large bunker resides now.

Here is the 1st tee off the Bogey side, which literally plays out the back door, as my photo was trying to capture

Coming back up #9 Bogey you see the more formal Bogey Club clubhouse.

And the more understated Log Cabin clubhouse - rustic inside and more my style. Not used as much for formal gatherings as Bogey Club.

Probably the only hard hole on the course - #9 Log Cabin - with a 220 yard carry over water.

As previously stated this is the 2nd or maybe 3rd local club for members, a place for a quick round after a meeting. All par 5s are under 500 yards, but could make for some really good par 4s.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back