News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Jeb Bearer

AAC III - Entry 10
« on: April 04, 2013, 04:31:20 PM »
Alright, here's my routing. TBH I was pretty happy with it when I submitted but obviously I missed something, as the voting showed. Nevertheless, I had a great time participating in this competition (thanks so much Alex et al) and the purpose of this thing is to learn so... have at it!

Steve Lang

Re: AAC III - Entry 10
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 08:24:47 PM »
 8)  Jeb,

Where are the hole numbers?

Some long green to tee distances..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Jeb Bearer

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 09:16:46 PM »
8)  Jeb,

Where are the hole numbers?

Some long green to tee distances..

Hole 1 is the one just south of the driving range, then you play a clockwise loop for 12 holes finishing with the par 3 southeast of the clubhouse. 13-18 form another loop with 18 green being directly south of the clubhouse. Hope that helps, I realize now I probably should have included hole #s in the diagram :-[

I tried to keep green to tee walks to a minimum, but I think I focused too much on the back tees so that, even on holes where there may be a short walk to the tips, the middle and forward tees are often further away. This is something I would certainly focus more heavily on if I were to do another one of these things, designing the course so that the most commonly used tees would present the shortest walk.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 10:37:30 PM »
I think the size of the first green is great and crazy and it was obvious to me all the holes
I also thought you put a tee on every green, eliminating all the green to tee walks
I liked the angle on 5
I would never be able to play your course unless I putted to every green...
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Dieter Jones

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 08:31:28 AM »
Some of your greens seem tiny and no room for error. This lack of places to miss on the par 3's in particular put me off a bit. I liked the 5th, 8th and 15th the best.

Having a tee extend off the previous green surround on at least 6 of the holes was also cool.
Never argue with an idiot. They will simply bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Jeb Bearer

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 09:24:02 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Mike, I'm not sure what you mean by this?  ???
I would never be able to play your course unless I putted to every green...

Also, if anyone's interested, here are hole-by-hole descriptions.

1. 364/357/318; The sight of the flag lures golfers to the right, leaving an uphill pitch to an angled, crowned green. The second shot may be easier from the far left, near the fairway bunker, leaving a short iron down the length of the green.

2. 131/127/124; This hole requires a precise wedge or short iron to the green perched on a knob. The green angles from front left to back right in contrast to the 14th.

3. 478/445/435; (Optional back tee can extend hole to 504 yards when downwind) When played into the wind, this hole is a brute. However, the hole can be shortened significantly by carrying the bunker on the inside of the dogleg. Approaches just carrying the right bunker will likely kick forwards onto the green, but shots missed left will feed into the left bunker. Downwind, it will be difficult to hold the green from the right side. The ideal position is from the left center, and the slope in the left fairway can be used to feed balls to this position. From there, the swale short left of the green can be used to brake approach shots.

4. 441/387/356; The ideal tee shot finishes just past the depression in the right side of the fairway, either by fading around it or carrying over it. This opens up the green, which favors a draw. Into the wind, the player has the additional option from the tee of playing a draw off the shoulder of the hill in the landing area.

5. 420/382/334; Into the wind, the golfer wants to shorten the hole as much as possible by playing down the left side. From that angle, the green slopes away towards the back bunker. Downwind, a favorable angle can be gained by sliding a tee shot past the center bunker and feeding off the ridge in the fairway.

6. 181/165/153; A loose Eden template. The horizon green slopes severely back to front; one bunker is cut into the hill on the right and another sits in the natural depression on the left.

7. 419/401/383; The fairway bends left around a falloff and contains the most small-scale undulation of any on the course. A mound short of the green and a back right tier, both natural, make approach shots from the right side difficult. Long is always wrong on the approach.

8. 529/521/508; The tee shot is among the more exciting on the course, playing down a steep ridge across a valley to a fairway that slopes back uphill. Given the right conditions, long hitters can reach the green in two by challenging the left bunker off the tee. If unable to reach the green, the golfer should try to keep his tee ball on top of the hogsback in the middle of the fairway. A decision must then be made whether to play for dangerous left fairway to gain a better look and angle. The natural mound long left of the green can help approaches to back pin positions, but it also exacerbates anything missed left.

9. 320/286/256; A series of three ridges intrude into the right side of the fairway, while a shot that hugs the left bunkers gains a flat lie and a better angle. Downwind, a drive slotted between the two sets of bunkers will leave just a short pitch down the length of the green, and long hitters may even find the green reachable from the tee. This is a definite scoring opportunity.

10. 432/401/395; The bowl in the left side of the fairway gathers tee shots just slightly left of center. The hill to the left of the green and the swale to the right make approach shots from the left side difficult to hold. The ideal tee shot finishes on the ridge in the right side of the fairway, leaving a longer shot but a far better angle.

11. 531/518/106; Downwind, the right bunker can be challenged to have a chance to reach the green in two. Into the wind, the safe tee shot should be played left of the mound in the center of the fairway. The best layup will skirt the bunkers and falloff on the right, leaving the preferred angle to the green, which falls away severely to the back and right.

12. 209/196/171; The undulating green in a great natural amphitheatre contains many interesting hole locations. Balls landing on the shoulder near the left bunker will feed to the right, helping to access the tricky front right position. Anything that just carries the front right bunker will kick forwards and feed to the lower back tier.

13. 531/501/499; Depending on the conditions and the golfer, a choice must be made to carry the cross bunker and try to reach the green in two, or lay up short or right of the bunker. Layups played safely away from the dangerous left side leave a progressively more difficult approach that will have to be played across the narrow green towards the trouble.

14. 250/217/183; A long, downhill Redan adaptation, this one features a ridge in the fairway so that tee shots far right will kick farther right, while anything left of the crest will funnel towards the back left of the green.

15. 436/427/402; Bite off as much of the left side as possible in order to see the green on the second shot. The sloping fairway magnifies misses to the right, leaving a blind shot over the large hill.

16. 370/361/307; The short bunker tempts the golfer to carry it down the left side, which is actually the safe side of the fairway. This shortens the hole, but leaves a tricky uphill pitch to a crowned green with a bunker behind it. A tee shot placed on the ridge near the right fairway bunker leaves an easier wedge from green level down the length of the green.

17. 435/397/342; Carrying the large bunker on the right side opens up the green for the uphill approach shot. Approaches from the right will have to contend more with the short left greenside bunker. The fairway past this bunker will kick shots forward onto the green.

18. 528/522/503; A bowl in the center of the fairway is best avoided, as it leaves a blind second typically from an awkward stance. This creates an interesting decision: the hole is shorter from right of the bowl, but second shots from here will have to carry a prominent ridge to reach the green. The angle is better from the right, but the hole plays longer. Or should the player attempt to get past the bowl altogether? Once again, it depends on the conditions and the player. Three bunkers 70 yards short of the green create decisions for a layup, and the punchbowl green is a fun way to finish the round.

Daryn_Soldan

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 09:51:57 AM »
Jeb,

The characteristic that held your routing back in my voting was all the green sites located directly on prominent high points. They would be very extreme or some of the most noticeable site features would have to be leveled to get approachable and puttable greens. Holes 7, 9, 10, 13 and 16 jumped out to me.

I'm guessing that Mike may have been referring to the same thing.

That being said, I liked your varied use of the topography - uphill, downhill, some following the contours/valleys. I also liked that the routing touched on many of the major site features.

- Daryn

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 10:37:58 AM »
Jeb
I gave you more positive comments than the others so far
Don't get hung up on me not being able to hit your small targets
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jeb Bearer

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 11:12:25 AM »
Mike, I definitely appreciate all of your comments, and I was certainly not hung up, I was just alittle unsure what you meant by that. Thank you for all the feedback, and I appreciate the negative along with the positive, that is how you learn.

In terms of the greensites being a little small/severe, I guess y'all would recommend using the bigger features more in the DZ or to place tees on or playing around them etc? Looking back I don't think I could hit any of my greens either!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 05:16:02 PM »
I'm not so concerned with green size as with green location, and that got you my vote. I presume green size can easily be adjusted in the field during construction, at least much easier than complete green relocation.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back