News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

JMEvensky

Austin Club Recommendations
« on: April 02, 2013, 03:54:57 PM »
A friend is moving to Austin for business and asked which clubs he should look into joining.

He's a good player and takes his golf seriously.He knows of Austin GC,Austin CC,and Spanish Oaks but doesn't really know much about them.

Assume money and location are irrelevant.He has a young son (13) who's learning to play and a wife who doesn't play at all.

Where should he look?

Michael Wharton-Palmer

Re: Austin Club Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 04:10:04 PM »
Look no further than Austin CC..GREAT junior section and very encouraging to that population of members.
Good golf course Pete Dye, tough but very  fair, great food, okay practice facility but with an excelent academy on site.
Lacks a very good short game area, but a wonderful place to play your golf, I look forward to competing there every year in the Harvey Penick.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 04:19:32 PM »
i've heard decent things about Onion Creek, which i believe is on the south side of town.  27 holes... coore&crenshaw had a hand in it somewhere along the way.

Dean Burke

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 04:30:36 PM »
prefer AGC over ACC for both golf course and practice facility.  But if location is an issue, AGC can be a drive depending on where he lives.  If location not a big issue then Escondido out at Horshoe Bay worth a visit too

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 04:34:25 PM »
I haven't played Austin CC but loved Austin Golf Club.  It has a par 3 course as nwell as good range and short game area.  It would be a great place to teach a youngster to play.   And he'd get to meet Ben Crenshaw!

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 05:00:41 PM »
Agree that Austin Golf Club is at the top of the list.  I'd put Escondido 2nd behind it, but it is another 30 minutes away.  AGC is already a drive from town.

ChipRoyce

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 07:39:00 AM »
AGC, ACC and Spanish Oaks are all wonderful clubs. My recollection is also that they are *very* steep in terms of initiation and monthly dues.

An alternative is Great Hills. I was a member there from 2002-2008 and very much enjoyed my time there. The club is stacked with many of the city's best amateurs, the course is good and *very* affordable.

JMEvensky

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 09:25:51 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their responses.

As a Longhorn who left Austin 35 years ago,it's amazing how the city has changed.

M W-P, I actually got to meet Mr. Penick at the old ACC. I watched him give a lesson to a fraternity brother--wish I'd had the sense to take notes.

Wayne,a friend and I played the last 2 holes at Onion Creek one afternoon with Darrel Royal and Frank Broyles--one of the highlights of my golfing career.

Chip,does Great Hills still have golf carts without governors on them? That was the only way they could get up the hills.Definitely made for fun rounds.

John Handley

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 10:47:26 AM »
AGC, Spanish Oaks and ACC are great choices, Escondido is probably not realistic for a local family club. Assuming he will most likely live on the west or north side of Austin he should consider Barton Creek or even The Hills of Lakeway and UT Golf Club.
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

ChipRoyce

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 10:10:11 PM »
Chip,does Great Hills still have golf carts without governors on them? That was the only way they could get up the hills.Definitely made for fun rounds.

That must have been fun. During the years I was a member at Great Hills (2002-2008), we did use gas carts as electric might have struggled with a few of the upslopes. However, while they were spirited and we did zoom downhill, they did have governers. I couldn't imagine driving around without speed restrictions!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 01:02:04 AM »
If you want family usage Lost Creek is another one to consider.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back