News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Ben Kodadek

Re: Painted cups
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2013, 04:41:29 PM »
I love them.  Particularly on dormant bermuda as it takes on a brownish hue similar to the cup cutaway.  I also think it's worth the extra time/manpower.  It let's the golfer know that the course/club gives a damn and pays attention to detail.  I happened to play at Belleair CC today and they had the best paint job I have ever seen.  Absolutely perfect.  A wonderful touch.  

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2013, 05:30:50 PM »
We do it every day.  It can be done quickly and effectively with the right equipment and it provides a good look.  

The worst thing you can do is install plastic liners in place if painting.

If you use plastic liners the hole no longer conforms with the rules of golf.
If you can't see the hole, have the flagstick attended. :D

Waste of time and money unless it gives you a compettive advahtage over other area courses which don't paint their cups.

If the members like it and are willing to pay for it, why would it be a waste of time and money? How much extra time and how much money does it cost to add this service when changing cups?

If a person is designated time to paint cups, maybe 1/2 hour a day, that is time spent that the person could be doing other jobs, such as mowing, buner work. I think 'waste' is a relative term in that what some people consider waste, is not considered as such by others.

How much money? Figuring about 30 minutes a day (maybe 90 seconds a hole), about 180 hours a year, so figure $1500-$2000.

That is one s.....l.....o.....w...... Set up guy. 15-20 seconds to paint.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2013, 05:56:50 PM »
We do it every day.  It can be done quickly and effectively with the right equipment and it provides a good look.  

The worst thing you can do is install plastic liners in place if painting.

If you use plastic liners the hole no longer conforms with the rules of golf.
If you can't see the hole, have the flagstick attended. :D

Waste of time and money unless it gives you a compettive advahtage over other area courses which don't paint their cups.

If the members like it and are willing to pay for it, why would it be a waste of time and money? How much extra time and how much money does it cost to add this service when changing cups?

If a person is designated time to paint cups, maybe 1/2 hour a day, that is time spent that the person could be doing other jobs, such as mowing, buner work. I think 'waste' is a relative term in that what some people consider waste, is not considered as such by others.

How much money? Figuring about 30 minutes a day (maybe 90 seconds a hole), about 180 hours a year, so figure $1500-$2000.

That is one s.....l.....o.....w...... Set up guy. 15-20 seconds to paint.

Dumb question, does the same guy who changes the hole location paint the cup as well or is that someone else?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 06:02:21 PM by Chris Hufnagel »

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2013, 05:59:56 PM »
Same guy
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Bill McKinley

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2013, 06:31:28 PM »
We do it at Canterbury every day while in season. Same guy changes the cups and paints em. It's a nice touch for sure and I'm believe the members appreciate the small touches like that
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2013, 07:50:58 PM »
Hole liners are ok as long as they sit one inch below, or more, the surface of the green. Well that's how it reads in the Rules anyway.

If they sit an inch below the surface, they lose their visibility and therefore their function and purpose.

Even an inch below the surface can result in bounces that result in the ball not being holed

I think the liners should be painted Mucci green.

Then you're a moron, and thereby welcome to join us at dinner

Patrick I believe it depends upon your height.   I can always see them, my shorter companions cannot.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2013, 09:00:32 PM »
It is very pretty, except when the paint chips and the hole is surrounded by little white chips... I do not see this very often, but I hate when I do.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2013, 07:37:29 AM »
It is very pretty, except when the paint chips and the hole is surrounded by little white chips... I do not see this very often, but I hate when I do.

That's where the hairspray trick comes in. We do not usually paint or PG cups, but when we do for invitational, knowing the amount of players putting, we will spray the painted area with hair spray. It holds everything together better.
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Bill Brightly

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2013, 08:06:33 AM »
Anthony,

I'm glad that you have figured out a way to prevent chipping. But for all of those who wrote above that painting cups is a nice touch and shows great attention to detail, when I see paint chips surrounding the hole I think it looks terrible.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2013, 08:28:36 AM »
Anthony,

I'm glad that you have figured out a way to prevent chipping. But for all of those who wrote above that painting cups is a nice touch and shows great attention to detail, when I see paint chips surrounding the hole I think it looks terrible.

I agree 100%. We only paint cups in our "season" (Oct-April) and are able to prevent a lot of the chipping due in part cause the bermudagrass isn't growing much, also.
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2013, 11:45:27 AM »
All eight of the McConnell owned courses in SC and NC do it.  I really like it.  It certainly helps define the cup on longer4 putts.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

BCrosby

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2013, 03:58:27 PM »
Anthony -

Serious question: What brand of hair spray do you use? 

Bob   

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2013, 06:55:40 PM »
Anthony -

Serious question: What brand of hair spray do you use? 

Bob   

Something alcohol free, like Aqua Net
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back