News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JC Jones

Re: 4th Annual Midwest Mashie - The Kingsley Club! UPDATE: FORMAL SIGN-UP OPEN!
« Reply #225 on: September 22, 2013, 07:48:16 PM »
Chris,

It's always hard to leave, but it'll be particularly difficult when you know the trophy's leaving with the other team...  :)

1 week from now the East will be showering Kingsley in celebratory champagne!!!  Ryder Cup style.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #226 on: September 22, 2013, 09:13:43 PM »
Is anyone else flying in and out of Traverse City?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #227 on: September 22, 2013, 09:14:44 PM »
Howard,

He'll be losing money to this East team member on Friday.  Good news is he will make it back against the West as the East is going to be dominating.

As an aside, does this event have a Calcutta?  I want to buy myself.

Keep dreaming boys! You do it so well.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Howard Riefs

« Reply #228 on: September 22, 2013, 09:32:44 PM »

1 week from now the East will be showering Kingsley in celebratory champagne!!!  Ryder Cup style.

Sorry, JC. This is as close as any Jason will get to celebrating Ryder Cup style again.

By popular demand (or just a few PM's) from the other GCA photo thread, I'm offering my favorite photo of 2012.  While this year was a great one from a golf course perspective, by a long shot this was my favorite photo.  I'm glad I was able to represent Tavistock CC in the pic!  It capped off, as one GCA'er referred to it, my "Forest Gump" year.  If you're going to lose to the Euro's, you might as well party with them!  

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

George Freeman

« Reply #229 on: September 23, 2013, 01:17:39 PM »
Guys - I'll work on teams/pairings this week.  I'm swamped through Tues night so likely at some point after that.  If you want to start unofficially doing groupings/teams on this thread, feel free!

C. Sturges - you're good go.  Glad you can make it!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Brian Finn

« Reply #230 on: September 23, 2013, 01:43:29 PM »
Should everyone post their location and handicap?  I see some have already done so.

I am in Columbus, OH and assume I will be on the East side (was East last year and it seems safe to assume will remain so).

Latest revision is 4.1

New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Chris_Hufnagel

Howard Riefs

« Reply #232 on: September 23, 2013, 01:53:47 PM »
Guys - I'll work on teams/pairings this week.  I'm swamped through Tues night so likely at some point after that.  If you want to start unofficially doing groupings/teams on this thread, feel free!

An attempt at teams of confirmed attendees based on my feeble memory of who lives where ... and a guess or two.  Let me know of errors:

EAST
Ken Fry (5.9)
Chris Sturges (5.3)
Jason Thurman (8.1)  
Chris Hufnagel (8.9)  
Josh Tarble (2.7)
Brian Finn (4.1)  
Michael Whitaker (9.6)
Jason Jones ("18.3")
Ryan Taylor (5)
Matt Schmidt (2.8 )
Tim "The Tool Man" Bert (16.8 )
Marc Kielkucki (10)
Ben Cowan (9)
Tom Doak [playing Sat or Sun]

WEST
George Freeman (7.3)
Bill Seitz (3.8 )
Howard Riefs (13.7)
Jud T. (20.5)
Zach Molnar
Andrew Lewis (8.1)
Bill Faley (4)
Pete Pittock (10.2)
Jackson Chen
Buck Wolter (9.6)
Morgan Clawson (16.9)
Neil Johnston (12)
Brian Hoover (3.8 )

Not confirmed
Sven "Greybeard" Nilsen
Andrew Calcutt
SNaugler
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:30:40 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Neil Johnston

« Reply #233 on: September 23, 2013, 01:55:28 PM »
Chicago, within walking distance of Lake Michigan if that's an East/West tiebreak.

12 handicap.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #234 on: September 23, 2013, 02:05:11 PM »
I am happy to play either Saturday or Sunday, depending on what works best for the team format.  I would rather not take the whole weekend away from home, I do that too often as it is!

Bill Seitz

« Reply #235 on: September 23, 2013, 02:10:55 PM »
Dan Moore bowed out a while ago.  I believe he has a business trip scheduled, and probably more importantly, an arm in a cast.  

My current index is 3.8, but based on the way I hit the ball at Greywalls this weekend, I'm probably at least double that at the moment.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #236 on: September 23, 2013, 02:26:53 PM »
Fry, Clawson, Faley, and Wolter have played on East teams in the past according to my half-assed research. If we're trying to keep guys on the same team they've played on previously, that might be worth noting. I did a similar grouping to Howard's. The only difference was that I kept team continuity, but at the expense of geographical accuracy (I had Ryan Taylor and co. on the West, even though I'm guessing they're coming from farther East than anyone).

Also, I was thinking Marc Kielkucki was Ryan Taylor's +1 based on Ryan's earlier post, but I might be wrong.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #237 on: September 23, 2013, 02:32:54 PM »
Tom Doak continues a proud tradition of actual architects playing for the East team. The West is such a bunch of posers.

I'm considering an early twilight round at Arcadia Friday. I could also be talked into going earlier, but all other things equal I'd just as soon pay $30 less. If anyone is interested just let me know and we'll work out details.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #238 on: September 23, 2013, 02:37:14 PM »
Howard,

Marc Kielkucki is my +1. He is now on your list.

I live in Huntington Woods, MI (East) and am a 5.

Marc lives in St. Clair Shores, MI (East) and is a 10.

Looking foward to it!

Ryan Taylor
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Jud_T

« Reply #239 on: September 23, 2013, 03:01:09 PM »
Tom Doak continues a proud tradition of actual architects playing for the East team. The West is such a bunch of posers.

I'm considering an early twilight round at Arcadia Friday. I could also be talked into going earlier, but all other things equal I'd just as soon pay $30 less. If anyone is interested just let me know and we'll work out details.

$30 less for that dogtrack?  get your ass over to Kingsley ASAP.  Hell, you can drop $40 to the GCA sandbagging crew, play 36 on an infinitely better course and have beer money to spare.  I'll even mist you with actual Lake Michigan water during the round if it will assuage the slight to your world view... 8)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 03:07:21 PM by Jud T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JC Jones

« Reply #240 on: September 23, 2013, 03:12:12 PM »

$30 less for that dogtrack?  get your ass over to Kingsley ASAP.  Hell, you can drop $40 to the GCA sandbagging crew, play 36 on an infinitely better course and have beer money to spare.  I'll even mist you with actual Lake Michigan water during the round if it will assuage the slight to your world view... 8)

This should be a fixed cost for all players who are at Kingsley on Friday afternoon.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #241 on: September 23, 2013, 03:22:46 PM »
Indianapolis - 2.9

If anything I have a borderline vanity handicap after a few hot rounds in August.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 03:34:36 PM by Josh Tarble »

Jason Thurman

« Reply #242 on: September 23, 2013, 03:48:48 PM »
I'll be at Kingsley right afterwards Jud. I'm still mulling over doing an earlier morning round to get out to Kingsley a bit sooner. I just don't get up that way very often, and I can't imagine skipping a course as hotly debated as Arcadia when I'm already in the neighborhood. Especially when that hot debate is usually along the lines of:

"It's not good enough to be a Doak 7."

"Sure it is!"

"Is not, if anything it's a 5!"

"No way, it's Whistling Straits without the PGA!"

BHoover

« Reply #243 on: September 23, 2013, 03:49:01 PM »
Columbus - 3.8

I am trying to come in early enough on Friday to play that afternoon.  Brian Finn and I are probably going to be carpooling together from Columbus.

Incidentally, does anyone else's wife say that it's weird to meet up for a weekend with a bunch of guys from the internet?

Ken Fry

« Reply #244 on: September 23, 2013, 03:56:28 PM »
I've proudly played for the East in the past and expect a reversal of fortune this year!

Niles, MI and a dismal 5.9 index.

Ken

JC Jones

« Reply #245 on: September 23, 2013, 03:56:28 PM »
Brian,

As with anything, the more you do it, the less they question it.  Just don't pass through Canada on your way and tell the border guard the same thing.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #246 on: September 23, 2013, 04:10:23 PM »
Brian, I used to get that one a lot. But hell, I've probably seen 7 of the guys going to this Mashie more recently than I've seen my best man.

I just tell mine that I'm going to play golf in Michigan with Josh, Bill, Howard, Jud, the Brians, Chris, and a bunch of guys they know. If she asks "Who are those people?" I just say "Are you kidding? Golf buddies. I play with them all the time. I've done 10 rounds with those guys in the last year. You've probably met most of them."

The last sentence is a bit of a lie, but the word "probably" absolves me. The amazing part is that the rest of it is true. I play way too much golf with GCA'ers.

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #247 on: September 23, 2013, 06:41:54 PM »
Ben Cowan is 9 handicap and is from Ann Arbor, MI.
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Buck Wolter

« Reply #248 on: September 23, 2013, 06:47:11 PM »
Fry, Clawson, Faley, and Wolter have played on East teams in the past according to my half-assed research. If we're trying to keep guys on the same team they've played on previously, that might be worth noting. I did a similar grouping to Howard's. The only difference was that I kept team continuity, but at the expense of geographical accuracy (I had Ryan Taylor and co. on the West, even though I'm guessing they're coming from farther East than anyone).

Also, I was thinking Marc Kielkucki was Ryan Taylor's +1 based on Ryan's earlier post, but I might be wrong.

I've never played in the Mashie -- last minute scratch at Lawsonia. This will be my first official GCA Golf outing.

I would bet Dan Lucas would play the other half of Tom's match.

Minneapolis 9.6 Index, coming off a 92 Sunday so I am primed to be the Curtis Strange of this event.

My Wife and son call you guys (and the website in general) the 'Golf Dorks'

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

BHoover

« Reply #249 on: September 23, 2013, 07:42:56 PM »
What is the dress code at Kingsley (non-golf dress code, I mean)? 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back