News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Mike_Trenham

Best Railroad Moderns
« on: March 26, 2013, 11:04:13 PM »
The interstate modern thread has been interesting.  So many older courses were near train lines and train stations. What modern courses are adjacent to train tracks?

I am striking out so far in my search for a great example.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 11:06:14 PM by Mike_Trenham »
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Ross Tuddenham

Re: Best Railroad Moderns
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 11:10:11 PM »
Dundonald Links?

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 11:18:10 PM »
Wild Horse is closer to the rail line than it is the highway.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Frank Sullivan

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 11:24:54 PM »
Is Blackwolf Run adjacent to railroad?  I seem to remember seeing a train close to a hole on the River course.  Not completely sure though.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 11:37:34 PM »
Chambers Bay

Eric Smith

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 11:38:13 PM »
Streamsong is close to a rail line, maybe 500 yards or so at the nearest point.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 11:38:56 PM »
Mosiac's train freight lines are adjacent to Streamsong o provide easy transport of phosphate from the surrounding site. The rail provides a periodic musical accompaniment and even inspire the tee markers. The trains' sound was most noticeable in the far NW area of the routing (Red 11, Red 12, Blue 14).
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Scott Stambaugh

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 11:43:22 PM »
Chambers Bay

+1 (was there today... 65 and semi-sunny)

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 11:46:04 PM »
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 09:03:33 AM »
Only a nicely ranked muni, but my Sand Creek Station has several rail lines crossing through it and parallel to it.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Ian Murray

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 07:43:17 PM »
Fraser Edmundston Golf Club, New Brunswick, Canada,
Architect: Albert Murray, 1947

This whimsical hole: a par 3 194 yds from the back tees (15 handicap). Some wild rebounds off the tracks is a distinct possibility.

This par 4 (referrred to as the toughest par 4 in New Brunswick by the Club) is 439 yds from the back tees (3 handicap)

Please be gentle it is my first time...posting :)

Will MacEwen

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 07:48:55 PM »
Gil Hanse's proposed Union Bay on Vancouver Island will be divided by both a 2 lane highway and a RR track.

http://theunionbaycommunity.com/golf/routing-plan/

Jim Johnson

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 08:13:14 PM »
Will, is there any news on that (proposed) course at Union Bay?

V. Kmetz

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 08:33:38 PM »
There's a great story I've uncovered (somewhat) in my research for a club history of Brae Burn Country Club in Purchase, NY.

For years it was known (plainly visible in spots) that the original property had a rail line going through it, right through the heart of the course.  Stone tressels are still visible on #s 15 and 17 and the entire 5th tee was a raised rail bed, creatively deployed for its golf purpose by architect Frank Duane in 1963, when he routed the course.

After some looking I discovered that what this was, was the "Westchester Northern Line," a proposed unit of the Boston-Westchester line, that was to take passengers (and run freight occasionally) from White Plains to Pound Ridge, NY where spurs would divide for Danbury, CT and Brewster, NY.

The rail may have gotten under way as early as 1912, perhaps as late as 1915, (I'll track down that discrepancy by another means) but was halted in 1925, as the project's resources and intents were diverted, as the automobile came into greater and greater use, and the project abandoned.

The Brae Burn portion of this "Ghost Railroad" - which never saw a passenger, was likely the only portion ever built.  Also interestingly, the proposed Westchester Northern line had land organs buying up rights of way and easements up through Westchester, some of which still exist and one of which exists right in the SE corner of Tamarack Country club, right near their 10th green, 11th tee, 12th green (their Biarritz).

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back