News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Eric Smith

Re: Charlie Rose interviews Ron Whitten video
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 04:24:42 PM »
Steve,

I enjoyed the interview, thanks for posting it. Ron Whitten seems a likeable guy as well.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 04:31:19 PM »
Charlie Rose usually is a great interviewer but I'm not sure he dug deeply enough beforehand.

Partridge 5.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 04:32:37 PM »
Partridge 5.

;D
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 04:37:39 PM »
Partridge 5.

;D

On behalf of my attorney I must caution against lifting my quotes without proper attribution.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 01:14:53 PM »
It would have been nice if Charlie had cross-examined Whitten about the ratings process, but given sponsor of the interview that subject must have been off the table, so to speak.  If unfettered, he might have gotten into it.  He's done a number of interviews with golfers: http://www.charlierose.com/topic/sports?keyword=golf.  This article describes him as "golf-obsessed" and says he's a member of Long Island's Deepdale Country Club: http://money.cnn.com/2009/09/25/magazines/fortune/charlie_rose.fortune/ , so he can't be a complete neophyte.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 01:29:02 PM by Carl Johnson »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 01:45:12 PM »
The three talking-points that I took away from the interview:

1.  The change in the GD criteria to recognize (if not reward for) fast & firm conditioning.  As this is a recent change, time will tell if it will alter the current rankings as new ratings come in.

2.  His optimistic take on the struggle between golf being a game meant to be played over the ground (as exemplified in a style of architecture he clearly admires) vs. the equipment manufacturers ongoing march towards enhancing the aerial nature of the game.

3.  How smart Whitten comes across.  He obviously chooses his words well, and you can see him thinking before he responds.  His reaffirmed use of the word "improvements" when discussing the annual updates at ANGC was savvy.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 02:36:29 PM »
I'm glad that you two are dating, but stop the cutesie little missives [a la partridge 5.]

This is an excellent interview. His every sentiment echos what we faithfully maintain on this site.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 03:25:32 PM »
We're not dating, it's a civil union.

Anyway, until this is fixed:
His every sentiment echos what we faithfully maintain on this site.

Partridge 0.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back