News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Neil_Crafter

17th Revision of the Dr. Alister Mackenzie Chronology
« on: March 26, 2013, 07:51:30 PM »
After a lot of research hours by a number of contributors the latest revision of the Dr. Alister Mackenzie Chronology is now complete. The emperor Tommy N has contributed a great front cover that includes a colorised photograph of Mackenzie, along with a rear cover. This revision adds over 300 new and modified entries and fills in a lot of holes in the previous versions, especially in regards to Mackenzie's early days, family and education, as well as his Boer War service and Camouflage School contributions in WW1.

GCA family of Sean Tully, Mark Bourgeois, Mark Rowlinson and Niall Carlton were my co-contributors, along with Nick Leefe, and together we form The MacKenzie Research Group affiliated with The Alister MacKenzie Society of the UK.  A long list of other contributors is included at the end of the chronology.

Here is a link to download the new edition  http://alistermackenziefoundation.org/about/alister-mackenzie-timeline/

cheers Neil

Bill_McBride

Re: 17th Revision of the Dr. Alister Mackenzie Chronology
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 08:36:20 PM »
This chronology is incomplete.   I see nothing about young Bill McBride caddying at the Meadow Club of Tamalpais in 1957-58 without any knowledge that Alister Mackenzie designed the course 30 years earlier!

Great job guys.   I love that photo of the 17th green and don't believe it's changed over the years. 

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 09:05:16 PM »
Awesome!! What a great job.

John McCarthy

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 10:04:37 PM »
1.  This is amazing.  

2.  Were Customs records available?  I ask this out of ignorance.  Does Customs keep records of comings and goings?  Are passports available?  Were visa applications kept?  Were visas needed in those days?  It might help to nail down dates.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 10:32:26 PM »
I remember seeing pictures of WW1 trenches that had been sodded over for camouflage purposes.  I couldn't find the particular picture, but I did find a US War Department instruction manual on camouflage from 1917.

In it are quotes from a Major Mackenzie of the Royal Engineers with corresponding sketches.

http://cryptome.org/cartome/eim3/eim3.htm

Found it and a 1915 artice on Military Entrenchment in Golf Illustrated of all places

http://www.scribd.com/doc/16045565/Military-Entrenchments-Dr-Mackenzie-1915
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:39:53 PM by Paul Stephenson »

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 02:06:14 AM »
Thanks for the nice comments.
Bill, sorry your caddying duties at Meadow Club were left out - next revision perhaps?  ;)
John, we have been using Ancestry.com for arrivals and departures, we are only missing the details of one known trip in 1929.
Paul, yes we have those articles and lots more about Mac and camouflage. Thanks for posting them though.

Colin Sheehan

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 11:14:25 AM »
This is the first time I've looked through the document and I couldn't be more impressed. A tip of the cap to everyone involved. It reminded me to Phil Schaap's extensive knowledge of Charlie Parker's daily whereabouts during his lifetime.

Blake Conant

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 11:47:38 AM »
This is great, thanks for making it available to the public, free of charge. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back