News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Kelly

Re: Scotland's best golf experiences
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 03:10:33 PM »
The Glen is fun to play and no where near as quirky as North Berwick which doesn't exactly give visitors a great experience.

What "great experience" does North Berwick not give to visitors?  Are you saying that because the course is quirky it is therefore not a great experience or that NB doesn't treat visitors well or what?
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2013, 03:31:12 PM »
David I didnt find the arrival, tee off and clubhouse situation very welcoming on my last visit, we were stuck between the tour bus groups. This survey is about visitor experience not the quality of holes, green complexes and routing.
Cave Nil Vino

David Kelly

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2013, 04:15:40 PM »
David I didnt find the arrival, tee off and clubhouse situation very welcoming on my last visit, we were stuck between the tour bus groups. This survey is about visitor experience not the quality of holes, green complexes and routing.
Oh, ok.  Your experience does sound annoying.  When I was there three years ago I stayed at a B&B directly behind the 18th green, we only had to walk about 100yds to the first tee and they treated us very well.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2013, 04:29:12 PM »
I picked up a copy of 'Bunkered' magazine in a dentists waiting room a couple of weeks ago. Let's just say it didn't take me more than a few seconds to get from the front cover to the back cover. Some nice photos but nothing else. I wouldn't spend my ££ on it. Mark, to twist what you said very slightly, I'd be surprised if you could find five 'Bunkered' buyers who know what hole the Redan is. I think you have a very valid point though, when you say that 'high end pay and plays...can usually teach more established clubs a lot about looking after visitors'.

All the best

Mark Smolens

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2013, 04:37:11 PM »
On my only trip to Scotland, we stayed on the west coast, and our best day was a round at Western Gailes with the manager of the club, followed by a trip to his upstairs apartment where he introduced this lad to seven or eight different single malt scotches with Bud Ice chasers, while we watched Pete Sampras on the telly at Wimbledon. Mr. Beatty(sp?) and his wife were incredible hosts, tho I must say the scotch had a severe impact on my ability to play 36 the following day at Prestwick -- I couldn't even tee my ball up or get it out of the hole without falling down! Our day at Western Gailes is one of my best golf experiences anywhere, let alone Scotland.

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 10:54:10 PM »
And  Iron Brew kicks Coca-Cola's ass, too.

Malcolm

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2013, 12:01:23 AM »
Out of curiosity I did a little academic exercise to see what one 18-hole round on each of these would cost, high season, weekend rate – the total is £2,220
Which is a wee fraction of what it would cost to play a similar quality list of American golf courses despite the fact that so many things are more expensive in the UK.  Even at the high end golf is cheaper and more accessible in Scotland than in North America.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2013, 05:09:10 AM »
Wayne,

Spot on re cost and accessibility.

All the best.

Mark Alexander

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2013, 05:17:14 AM »
To all who replied,

Many thanks for your comments - to be honest, I knew the Bunkered list would set off a few gentle discussions. Saying that, I was surprised to see alcohol playing such a key role – actually who am I kidding, the quality of the booze is absolutely critical and can generate a rosy feel-good factor which can quash any post-round regrets. Make mine a large one!
I agree with some comments that top-tier clubs place a greater emphasis on the ‘experience’ which should come as no surprise to anyone. These businesses charge top dollar and need to prove their worth so perfecting the minutia of the welcome and the service at the bar is well worth their efforts. It makes business sense to do so.
Smaller clubs would do well emulate some of these practices not for the visitors’ sake, but for the sake of their bank balances. Putting more emphasis on customer service can only be good for the club and may generate more green fees, bar sales and even members. The tricky thing is balancing this commercial slant with the unique characteristics that make these ‘smaller’ clubs such a joy.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2013, 07:58:34 AM »
Mark just having well trained, well motivated staff goes a long way. I'm certain Scots aren't impressed with bag drops, starters, valets, etc that's service at a price!
Cave Nil Vino

Eric Smith

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2013, 09:34:19 AM »
Mark just having well trained, well motivated staff goes a long way.

You are quite right about that. Our experience last summer at Prestwick makes your point as upon registering in the golf shop it was the head professional who came over and introduced himself to our party and took us on a tour of the clubhouse, taking time to explain the many trophies photos and memorabilia throughout. These kinds of human touches are priceless.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back