News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Ezekowitz

Help Remembering a Quirky Course in Maine
« on: March 25, 2013, 03:34:23 PM »
Andy's thread on a couple of New England courses got me thinking about a really fun course I remember playing on the coast of Maine when I was younger. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but hopefully one of you can. Some of the things I remember:

• The course started and finished on the beach, with a fun loop through an old growth forest in the middle.
  • There was a memorial to settlers who had been killed in an indian massacre in the 18th century next to a tee on the front nine.
  • On one of the tees, you could follow a dirt path to a quaint old New England store for a drink and a snack.
  • It was bisected by a road in the back nine that led to a public beach.
  • I believe it was at least semi-private.

If I remember correctly, there were some really fun holes on that course. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Michael Moore

Re: Help Remembering a Quirky Course in Maine
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 03:41:44 PM »
Prouts Neck in Scarborough by Wayne Stiles. One of the best courses in Maine. Wonderful tree-clearing there lately.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

John Ezekowitz

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 03:50:55 PM »
Prouts Neck in Scarborough by Wayne Stiles. One of the best courses in Maine. Wonderful tree-clearing there lately.

I would've never remembered that. Thanks.

Do you (or anyone else) have any pictures?

Michael Moore

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 04:07:26 PM »
Here is the first hole -

The eighth hole is called "Massacre". The sandwich shop is right there, currently closed and for sale.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 08:10:27 PM »

The eighth hole is called "Massacre". The sandwich shop is right there, currently closed and for sale.

How much?

Michael Moore

Brad Tufts

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 10:19:55 PM »
I finally got to play Prout's Neck last summer...almost had a inadvertent Moore sighting from the course...he was either fishing or clam-digging nearby the same day as I soon found out.

I would say PN is a cooler place than golf course if I had to pick between the two.  Out on Black Point, very low-key, old no-frills clubhouse...driving range into what looks like an enviro-sensitive area of beach grass, ocean all around.

The golf course was better than expected too.  I had been told that it was great along the water, and a bit boring inland, but it was great fun the whole way around.  I guess Renaissance GD has really cleared things out, which has helped playability and restored some long views between holes.

I'd go back in a heartbeat!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back