News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anders Rytter

Modern day templates
« on: March 25, 2013, 01:00:25 PM »
Aspiring architects have traveled the old british links for over a century in search for golf holes, features and playing characteristics that could inspire them in their work. Even though this is still very rewarding, a lot of unique golf holes have been created since then. What holes on courses build in the last golden age or after would be the templates if we didn't have the old links and what features or playing characteristics do you consider the the best additions to the architects mental toolkit from these courses.

Alex Miller

Re: Modern day templates
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 01:08:27 PM »
10 at Riviera, which I propose be named "wedge" for the requisite precision wedge approach, as well as the nature of the hole which gets more precise the closer one gets to the green.

It's been talked about endlessly, but the width and risk reward aspects of the hole are not limited to rewarding a shot in the fairway and punishing a ball in the rough or bunkers. A player may prefer to be in the rough pin-high left over being in the right-side fairway.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 01:22:51 PM »
I've mentioned it on numerous threads and I love to read myself type, so here goes:

The circular-teed par three of Mike Strantz...I've called it a Cauldron Hole. Typically a mid-short hole to a wildly-protected green. Can play from a variety of tee angles and distances, depending on how far around the rim he goes.

#3 at Tot Hill Farm
#6 at Tobacco Road
#14 at True Blue is the finest example
---------------------------------
#6 at Caledonia looks like it has potential (haven't played it.)
#3 at Royal New Kent could/should be one, but he didn't wrap it around enough.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 07:48:48 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 02:56:07 PM »
If anything distinguishes gca post WWII it is the heavy use of water features. So whatever modern templates you come up with, they should include a generous helping of water holes.

Bob

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 04:50:34 PM »
I can't just give my list away, I've spent to much time traveling, playing, analyzing and thinking about which holes would make for great inspirations or templates on different properties. Finding templates for flat properties is one of my favorite things to think about. These lists certainly dont just include British courses, nor classic courses. The US has an incredibly diverse range of properties, and interesting holes built in a number of methods, that would fill up anyones book of templates.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
Interesting notion, Bob Crosby.

Although Strantz designed some horrible closing holes (True Blue, Royal New Kent, Stonehouse) with water on them, my Strantz template  does not feature water.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 07:55:08 PM »
If anything distinguishes gca post WWII it is the heavy use of water features. So whatever modern templates you come up with, they should include a generous helping of water holes.

Bob

Island greens?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 07:57:43 PM »
If water is the hallmark of a modern template hole, then Pete Dye's Island green is probably a modern template.

I realize that an island green where it is an island among a surrounds of sand is rather ancient.  But, to dig a lake (or drain a swamp) leaving an island for a green site is pretty much a template concept, it seems to me.  And, the template or concept of such an island (or presentation of an island with water surrounding 70-80% of the front and sides) does not have to be a par 3.  There are plenty of green islands on par 5s and some on par 4s.  

The sweeping semi-circular par 5 fw seems like it could be a modern template, such as #6 we saw this past weekend at Bayhill.  Again, it doesn't need to be a FW semi-circumnavigatign a lake; it could be around a waste area of sand or other.  Strantz embraced that at #4 and #11 at Tobacco Rdl., and there are many other examples, including in Dye's portfolio.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 07:58:50 PM »
OOps, you beat me to it, Joel...  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Anders Rytter

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 01:43:13 AM »
I wasn't thinking about what was typical for the period but what has been added to the classic concepts during the period if you are well traveled.

I thought about 7th green on Ballyneal although I have yet to play enough old courses to know whether the idea is used. I think the green is somewhat inspired by 6th on Crystal Downs also.

The narrow entrance to the green with the big knoll left makes one of the most fun spots to play golf I've been to. The knoll protects the green from shots missed to the left but widens the green if you have missed right. There is so many ways to get to most pins and many easy 3's and 5's to be made.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 06:06:04 AM by Anders Rytter »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 05:51:35 AM »
Is the 6th green at CD a recognized template? If not, it might be a TD homage to an influence.

I like both notions (new templates and the evolution of traditional ones.) We need to stay consistent with the definition of each for the thread to have legs.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Anders Rytter

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 06:16:49 AM »
Is the 6th green at CD a recognized template? If not, it might be a TD homage to an influence.

I like both notions (new templates and the evolution of traditional ones.) We need to stay consistent with the definition of each for the thread to have legs.

Sorry, I miss typed. Crystal Downs 7th.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back