News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Sims

Re: GCA Outing: Can you break a 100 on a US Open course?
« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2013, 04:22:43 PM »
Have they built a clubhouse yet - will they use temporary tents.  Does Bethpage or Torrey Pines have a big enough clubhouse?

There is a restaurant and pro shop up on top of the hill.  Adjacent to that is a large concrete pad with two semi-permanent tents on it.  No plans to build anything else.  The huge central meadow will house all the hospitality, corporate and merch tents.

Michael Essig

« Reply #126 on: June 26, 2013, 06:51:45 PM »
Had a long chat with my son last night after he read my posts.  A couple of comparisons with what went on at the Am, which is the closest comparison we have to how the pros may play the course at the US Open.

First, he said at the AM they didn't use any of the tees we used.  When I showed him where we played from, he said the Am was played on one or two tee boxes in front of us.  Based on that, he estimated they played from 7100 yards tops, maybe even less.  He thinks they will do the same for the US Open.

Second, the roll out, as has been much discussed, was 50+ yards at the AM on every hole.  On #13 from the forward tees they used, the balls would roll into the bunker at the corner of the dogleg.  I hit driver and 4 hybrid to go over the same location - a distance of approximately 400 yards from our tees.  Matt and I were looking a Google Maps, and he pointed where the balls landed and rolled, and their forward tee box put their balls so far down the fairway that they could get utilize the fairway contour as it moves down and right, propelling the ball forward on the firm fairways.  None of us came close to getting to a place where the fairway had any effect on the ball.  I am curious if Brent could, as his length is as good as any amateur I have ever seen.  On #7, the Ams were 30-50 yards in front of us, so when they bit off a little bit more of the corner, their balls ran the width of the fairway - approximately 60 yards.  Between cutting off a bit of the dogleg and their ball running up the hill (even if at an angle) he said it was a simple mid-iron or less to the green.  In contrast, I hit a perfect drive, had 250 left to the pin, nutted a 3-wood and didn't carry the second hump some 30-40 yards short of the green.  Kirk's drive ran up and down a fairway contour and was going away from the hole when it stopped; about 10 yards behind me.  That is a huge difference.

Third, and this is maybe the most important point, Matt said the conversation between player and caddy with virtually every approach was, "should I go high or low?"  In other words, Matt is backing 100% the statements made by Choi and Ben, that virtually every green is accessible by landing in front of the green. (So, I grounded him  ;D).  Landing a ball in front of a green does not exclusively define a links course in my mind, and based on their 79 average, if forced to bounce in the ball because the greens wouldn't hold a shot, is the land-short-roll-on game really the way to play the course? Is the course truly receptive to that play, or was it the only option because they knew the aerial game was doomed to failure.

Maybe it is just the time of year that I have played the course, which has been in the spring every time, but as I said before, I can't see how this course is played on the ground under the conditions we played and the pros will play.  The pros will be playing in the spring/early summer, at the same time as I always have played it, and not in August when the Am is played.

Turning back to architecture, and as I have thought about what I wrote last night and here, I just think that so much of the course is played uphill, or the greens are above the fairway, that running the ball onto the green makes little sense.  In my mind, a hole utilizing a ground game is typically on flat ground or downhill.  I guess I don't understand the physics of landing a ball on an upslope and expecting it to go forward with any predictable results. 

Maybe that is why I don't understand why Jones ran the course so far up the hill - why wasn't it kept down on the flats to create holes where drives went up and over dunes (#3 at Old Mac, #9 at Royal County Down, #4 and #7 at Lahinch, etc); approach/iron shots with partially hidden greens (only 12 at CB) like the Dell #5 at Lahinch, and other features and holes that could easily have been created with the tools and land he had at his disposal.  Like I said, CB is different than anything else I have played and I like some of the holes very much (most notably #3, #6, #10, #12 is different, #13, #15, #16, and #17)

The USGA can't stop NW rain, so how do they get the course firm and fast in Seattle in June, to bring in the game Matt, Choi and Ben all say is possible (if not preferable?) to this course?

Choi, et al, call me when you play in late August, and let's play it from 7100 yards like the AMs at a time when my drives will go 300, and not 250.  And maybe we should play it that you must take a minimum of 2 extra clubs to hit your approach shot.  That would mean that every shot had to land short and roll on the green.  See how the course reacts to playing it that way.

Cheers.  It was and is always fun to play with GCAers.  See you soon.  :)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #127 on: June 26, 2013, 07:11:46 PM »
Maybe that is why I don't understand why Jones ran the course so far up the hill - why wasn't it kept down on the flats to create holes where drives went up and over dunes (#3 at Old Mac, #9 at Royal County Down, #4 and #7 at Lahinch, etc); approach/iron shots with partially hidden greens (only 12 at CB) like the Dell #5 at Lahinch, and other features and holes that could easily have been created with the tools and land he had at his disposal.  Like I said, CB is different than anything else I have played and I like some of the holes very much (most notably #3, #6, #10, #12 is different, #13, #15, #16, and #17)

According to Jay Blasi's talk at the GCA preview event at the course, the original plan was for 36 holes using the whole property. RTJ II, Inc. didn't like that idea, because the other half of the available land was dead flat. RTJ II, Inc. convinced the county to make the best course possible on the land that had contour available for use. If you look at before and after photos, you see they kept the land pretty much as it originally was, with the exception of the 10th hole that wasn't originally planned, but appeared as they continued to mine that area for sand to use on the rest of the course. In contrast to the 10th hole being created, the 12th hole was already there. They shaped the green and called it good.

I have no problems with the land going as high up the hill as it does. I simply play 13, 4, and 7 as three shot holes. Is your discomfort with the holes going uphill at all related to them now calling 13 & 7 par 4s?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Richard Choi

« Reply #128 on: June 26, 2013, 08:57:35 PM »
Let me see if I can clear up a few points...

First, the US Am was played at various yardages. For the stroke play, it played around 7500 yards, if I remember correctly. For the match play, they played around with the tees and at various times, the course played anywhere from 7200 yards to 7600 yards.

Second, last year during May/June, they did not cut the rough and kept it dry to simulate the US Open condition. The course was considerably drier than it is right now. This year is particularly wet because they are watering the course pretty aggressively. The course would not be playing this soft just from rains.

Third, Chambers does not force you to hit a particular shot. You can attack the pin from the air (especially if you have a wedge or short iron) or you can go with the ground attack on most hole. Michael, you probably are used to the aerial approach and right now, with these conditions, there is nothing wrong with sticking with that approach. But the great thing about Chambers is that you can certainly play strictly on the ground if that is what you desire.

Some of my favorite ground shots include #2 and #4. #2's green is such that if you want to get close to the front pin, the ground approach will provide you with an option with much larger margin for error. The fairway and the green surrounds feed from right to left to the front green. Whenever I have an direct approach, I prefer hitting my 7 iron running shot to the green from 140 and in. For #4, unless you are going for the green in two, the best play is to leave the approach to the left about 100 yards out and hit a low running shot from there. This approach is especially useful when the pin is tucked in the back right. With the backboard available on the green, using that slope to feed the ball to the tucked pin is a MUCH easier shot than trying to hit it with a wedge with a tight lie.

I can go on and on with almost every other hole...

Michael Essig

« Reply #129 on: June 27, 2013, 02:33:58 PM »
Let me see if I can clear up a few points...

First, the US Am was played at various yardages. For the stroke play, it played around 7500 yards, if I remember correctly. For the match play, they played around with the tees and at various times, the course played anywhere from 7200 yards to 7600 yards.

Matt worked all day, every day at the AM, and he said they did move the tees around, but he said they never got them back as far our tees were (except 12 and 18), and obviously did not do it on every hole.  In other words, the furthest back the AM tees ever got on a hole was shorter than the location we played from on every hole.  If we played it 7600 yards, the AMs weren't even close to that number, and the AM tees were often 50 yards shorter than our tees according to Matt, but a minimum of 30 yards.  I just did simple math and said if the drivable holes were 30 yards shorter, so the math is 14 x 30 = 420 yards less than our yardage.

Garland, as I listed the holes I like, you can see that a large portion of the course I like very much.  Turning back to the architecture part, I will restate that I really don't understand why the course goes up the hill so much. My biggest issue is #7, #8 and #9.  I don't understand why they made holes on the side of the cliff.  To me, #13 plays slightly up hill and the same for #4.  To me those holes play kind of the same way - uphill dogleg right.  At least the part of the property for #13 is relatively flat, and doesn't fall dramatically until the left had side of #14. 

Why couldn't the tee boxes for #8 been lower on the hill from the #7 green (solving Kirk’s complaint about the long walks up a steep hill on #5 and #14), and the hole played along the bottom of the cliff to a punch bowl green?  Then #9 could have played slightly up the same hill it does now or possibly back towards the driving range.  You could have fit 10,000 people in stands along the bottom of the hill to watch players on #8 and #9 if the course had been routed that way.

The idea that they designed the course to use the contours doesn't make much sense to me.  It comes with how I define contours: the humps, bumps and roll of the terrain.  At CB all of the countours were built into the greens or they are the dunes between which the "flat" holes are routed - my preferred holes.  As I said before, if they had just gone up and over some of the dunes for other holes I think the course would have been greatly improved. 

Going up the same hill over and over again isn't utilizing the contours, it is climbing a hill.  Notice which holes they have done a lot of work on: #8, #7, #4 - all holes running and playing on the hillside. And for the US Open, they are going to build a tee down low, where I think the #8 green should be located. 

We walked 8.5 miles, and climbed the hill three times - #4, #7, and #13 in the process.  For me that adds-up to a routing problem easily solved by keeping off the hill and utilizing the area where the now decommissioned driving range and practice area is located.  If you look at an aerial of the site, there is a lot less wasted area on the flats - #1-3, 6, 10-12, and 15-18, and in my opinion, those are the better holes.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #130 on: June 27, 2013, 03:09:35 PM »
Garland, as I listed the holes I like, you can see that a large portion of the course I like very much.  Turning back to the architecture part, I will restate that I really don't understand why the course goes up the hill so much. My biggest issue is #7, #8 and #9.  I don't understand why they made holes on the side of the cliff. 

We all know #8 is the weak hole on the course. Matt did a thread on it. He and I (and perhaps others) proposed alternatives on that thread.

To me, #13 plays slightly up hill and the same for #4.  To me those holes play kind of the same way - uphill dogleg right.  At least the part of the property for #13 is relatively flat, and doesn't fall dramatically until the left had side of #14. 

Why couldn't the tee boxes for #8 been lower on the hill from the #7 green (solving Kirk’s complaint about the long walks up a steep hill on #5 and #14), and the hole played along the bottom of the cliff to a punch bowl green? 

I don't get this. The walk from #7 to #8 is one of the easiest on the course. ???

Then #9 could have played slightly up the same hill it does now or possibly back towards the driving range.  You could have fit 10,000 people in stands along the bottom of the hill to watch players on #8 and #9 if the course had been routed that way.

The idea that they designed the course to use the contours doesn't make much sense to me. 

I believe you misunderstand what I wrote. I didn't write they used "the contours", I wrote the used land that had contour to it (as opposed to the contourless land).

It comes with how I define contours: the humps, bumps and roll of the terrain.  At CB all of the countours were built into the greens or they are the dunes between which the "flat" holes are routed - my preferred holes.  As I said before, if they had just gone up and over some of the dunes for other holes I think the course would have been greatly improved. 

I think you have a misconception that there were dunes to go up and over. As far as I know, there were none. This was mined land, and no natural dunes were there. Instead you had big hills like the one that they mined the sand out of where 10 was created.

Going up the same hill over and over again isn't utilizing the contours, it is climbing a hill.  Notice which holes they have done a lot of work on: #8, #7, #4 - all holes running and playing on the hillside. And for the US Open, they are going to build a tee down low, where I think the #8 green should be located. 

You just got done clarifying that going up #7 is the real hill, as 4 and 13 are "slightly uphill". So how do you get "up the same hill over and over again?"

We walked 8.5 miles,

That's utter BS. 7700 yards is about 4.4 miles. Where do you get an additional 4.1 miles. I know it's not your figure, and I should have spoken up when it was stated at lunch, but we maybe walked 6 miles at the most. The only way you can get 8.5 miles is to play the whole course like John played 14. Walk down the hill. Walk back to ball from below. proceed from there having increased the hole by perhaps 1/2 again its length.

and climbed the hill three times - #4, #7, and #13 in the process.  For me that adds-up to a routing problem easily solved by keeping off the hill and utilizing the area where the now decommissioned driving range and practice area is located.  If you look at an aerial of the site, there is a lot less wasted area on the flats - #1-3, 6, 10-12, and 15-18, and in my opinion, those are the better holes.

10 and 12 are not flat holes. Personally, I tend to prefer the holes off the flats. 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Essig

« Reply #131 on: June 27, 2013, 04:11:40 PM »
We walked 8.5 miles,

That's utter BS. 7700 yards is about 4.4 miles. Where do you get an additional 4.1 miles. I know it's not your figure, and I should have spoken up when it was stated at lunch, but we maybe walked 6 miles at the most.

Matt was told at the AM that they were walking 7.5 miles.  As you are aware, Brent said 8.5, and I was merely restating his fact.  If the AM distances were 7.5 as told to Matt, our walk was at least 8, which is what Brent was told it was.  Obviously we are not going to resolve this, but my point for stating the fact is that distance plus uphill equals a very tough walk - and this is a public course catering to the overweight guy in the hammock (see my Pasatiempo, new logo post  ;D).  Now, I wouldn't sacrifice good golf just because it made for a tougher walk, but IMO they routed a course with the worst holes at the highest point!  That is where I start scratching my head and asking, "what were they thinking."  I'll walk for good golf, but not for bad golf.

I will talk to relatives that have lived in the area for 50 years and ask them what the pit looked like before construction.  When I saw it during shaping, there was a lot of bulldozer work going on.  When you saw the dunes when the course opened, there were bulldozer tracks all over them.  I think they moved around a lot of the sand and gravel that was on site.

By the way, just so you don't think I am beating up certain holes because I can't play them - I birdied #7 on my second play at the course before reconstruction, birdied #8 last time I played it in April (for fun played 4-hybrid three times), and made par on #9 three of the four previous tries. 

Richard Choi

« Reply #132 on: June 27, 2013, 04:19:22 PM »
Michael, I don't know what to tell you. I worked as a Marshall for the entire week and was out there for the practice round with some players. They played longer than 7200 yards. They even used the very back tee on 11th, which you didn't use. I guess you can choose to believe your son over me, but you can also go to USGA and look at the scorecard as well.

Richard Choi

« Reply #133 on: June 27, 2013, 04:38:23 PM »
Here is the scorecard from the event.

http://www.usga.org/ChampEventScore.aspx?id=17179869326&year=2010&type=card303

I was wrong. They did not play 7500 yards during stroke play. They played at 7742(!!!) yards.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #134 on: June 27, 2013, 05:41:51 PM »

Matt was told at the AM that they were walking 7.5 miles. ...

Walking a densely marked path with backtracking on going to back tees on Google Earth comes up with 5.75 mi. for the course I walked on Sunday.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #135 on: June 27, 2013, 08:13:11 PM »

Walking a densely marked path with backtracking on going to back tees on Google Earth comes up with 5.75 mi. for the course I walked on Sunday.

That 8.5 miles figure was calculated from someone wearing a pedometer.   I'm sure it can be more or less depending on various factors.   

Matthew Essig

« Reply #136 on: June 27, 2013, 09:20:54 PM »
Here is the scorecard from the event.

http://www.usga.org/ChampEventScore.aspx?id=17179869326&year=2010&type=card303

I was wrong. They did not play 7500 yards during stroke play. They played at 7742(!!!) yards.

That makes more sense.  ;D   8)
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

John Kirk

« Reply #137 on: June 27, 2013, 09:26:40 PM »
It could be as simple as the owner of the pedometer overestimating his average stride by 20-40%.

It's a difficult walk.  If the course tips out at 7800-8000 yards, plus zigzagging on the course and green to tee walks, sometimes back to the back tee and then forward again, it seems reasonable to guess the walk is in the vicinity of 7-8 miles, or 12,320 - 14,080 yards.  We played the course at around 7,600 yards, so that assumes we spent 54-62% of our walking moving directly from tee to green.

Just noodling around.  Thought I would give it a bash.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #138 on: June 27, 2013, 09:31:31 PM »

That 8.5 miles figure was calculated from someone wearing a pedometer.   I'm sure it can be more or less depending on various factors.   

I'm a bystander to this thread, but I'll offer this. I wear a pedometer every day for work (I win money by doing it). My 6500 yard home course is almost always a 6 mile walk right on the nose. When I walked Whistling Straits earlier this year playing the 7100 yard tees, it was more like 11!

I'd be amazed if you walked less than 8 while playing a 7600 yard course. A lot of extra steps are added in the green to tee transitions, walking back and forth to look for balls, straying from the center of the fairway, climbing into bunkers, etc.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #139 on: June 28, 2013, 11:53:15 AM »
Some of us walk up to a putt and strike it. We are far fresher at the end of the day. ;)

Because, some people spend most of their day walking back and forth on a green sizing up a putt that they are going to miss anyway. ;)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 11:56:48 AM by GJ Bailey »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #140 on: June 28, 2013, 12:27:28 PM »

Garland, did GPS track your every step?  Without some kind of pedometer, how can you account for all your movements? 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #141 on: June 28, 2013, 12:47:41 PM »

Garland, did GPS track your every step?  Without some kind of pedometer, how can you account for all your movements? 

I was just substantiating my estimate of 6 miles. I did not walk 8.5-5.75=2.25 miles walking over to John and chit-chatting. ;)
Google Earth tells me how far it is to walk around the course by a bit circuitous route. That is the vast majority of the walk. I maintain you cannot even add 1/10 of that to the estimate to make up any excess movements around the greens, into the rough, etc.

Ben Sims

« Reply #142 on: June 28, 2013, 12:50:56 PM »
Actually it wasn't a pedometer.  It was GPS.  Now granted, it isn't mil-GPS, so it is only accurate to 3m instead of 1m.  But the number (8.5mi) I gave Brent weekend before last is based on the Nike Running App on my phone that uses GPS.  I've found it to be frighteningly accurate when preparing for PT tests, etc.  The 8.5 comes from a round I played in April from the Sand tees.  I started it at the snack shack at the 1st tee and turned it off at the snack shack after walking up from the 18th.  It registered 8.44mi that day. 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #143 on: June 28, 2013, 01:02:27 PM »
Ben,

We saw the route you took around Chambers Bay on Sunday. I will agree that it is significantly farther than the route the rest of us took. ;D
I will agree that walking back and forth in the hay locating balls can add significantly to the total walk. ;D

Jim Nugent

« Reply #144 on: June 28, 2013, 01:02:44 PM »
Makes me wonder how far we caddies used to walk, carrying double.  Sometimes we did 36 holes per day.  

Going rate at St. Louis CC back then (late 1960s) was $7 for a double per 18 holes.  No tips allowed, though I did get a tip once when my guy beat the reigning club champion.    

Jason Thurman

« Reply #145 on: June 28, 2013, 04:29:25 PM »
Garland, as always, I suspect you'll believe whatever you feel like believing regardless of facts presented.

If you ever care to play a round of golf being tracked by GPS, I'll happily eat my hat if you can do it without a cart while playing by the rules and shooting within 15 strokes of your handicap on a 7600 yard course while walking less than 7.5 miles. As I mentioned, I track literally every round that I play and have never walked less than 5.7 on my 6500 yard home course. From what I gather, I also take a much more direct route from tee to green than you do. Ben's GPS numbers are pretty consistent with my experience, and perhaps even on the lower end.

Jim, when I've done 36 hole days, I've walked as few as 12 miles and as many as 16. To be fair, I start counting when I arrive at the course, so that 16 mile day included walking to the pro shop, around the practice green, etc.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #146 on: June 28, 2013, 05:03:46 PM »
... To be fair, I start counting when I arrive at the course, so that 16 mile day included walking to the pro shop, around the practice green, etc.

How the heck do you call that fair? We have been discussing the length of the walk to play the course. Why don't you measure the walk from house to car, and car back to house and add them into the total. If you weren't going to play golf, you wouldn't have need to make those walks. For that matter, diving makes you move you legs around. Count those steps and add them in to the total.
 :P

PS, the only thing keeping you from eating your hat is that I wasn't wearing GPS and measuring my walk at Chambers Bay.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back