News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Woodger

Golf within 1.5hrs of NYC
« on: March 21, 2013, 11:31:35 AM »
Hi,

I have a new job and have two weeks off in the middle of April. Do people have any below the radar courses that are worth a visit and are public access within 1.5hrs drive of NYC?

I am likely moving back to England at the end of the year so this is my last chance to sample so of the regions courses so looking to play something other than Bethpage Black/Red and the Golfweek Best in State lists.

Many thanks in advance for any help.
Mark

Mark McKeever

Re: Golf within 1.5hrs of NYC
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 11:37:22 AM »
The Knoll Golf Club in Parsippany NJ is absolutely worth a visit.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Frank Sekulic

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 11:49:46 AM »
Sunset Valley in Pompton Plains NJ is a short (about 6,300 yds from the tips) fun course with some great greens.

Flanders Valley in Flanders is pretty decent as is Spook Rock in Suffern NY which is just over the NJ state line

Ben Voelker

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 11:50:37 AM »
The Knoll Golf Club in Parsippany NJ is absolutely worth a visit.

Mark

I second Knoll, however be sure to play Knoll WEST as the east course is a far cry from its big brother.

If you are looking for public courses, there are a number in North Jersey that are worth a play including the following (in my order of preference):

Morgan Hill
Neshanic Valley
Ballyowen

Heron Glen and Hominy Hill are supposed to be very good, but I haven't made it to either of those yet.

On Long Island, Tallgrass and Montauk Downs are supposed to be good, but I have not played those either.

If you wanted to stretch it a little further there are a number of courses in the Atlantic City and Philadelphia areas that are closer to 2 hours from Manhattan.

Please feel free to PM if you are looking for a game.

Michael Blake

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 12:48:01 PM »
Sunset Valley in Pompton Plains NJ is a short (about 6,300 yds from the tips) fun course with some great greens.

+1 on Sunset Valley's greens.  Someone once said about SV greens, "On in two, off in three."  ;)

Mark W,

1.5 hrs is pretty good radius.  Matt Ward would be a good source.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 01:12:24 PM »
Experience a taste of Steve Smyers' designs at Royce Brook GC in Hillsborough, NJ

Jim Sherma

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 01:29:34 PM »
Heading out I-78 to the PA border you'll have Morgan Hill in PA and Architect's Club just outside of Phillipsburg. For some old school courses that I like a lot you can do Green Pond (Alex Findlay) in Bethlehem Township and Harker's Hollow (Interesting Robert White built up against a mountain, was private up until fairly recently) right down the road from Archtect's Club. All in all a pretty good set of publics within a pretty tight area.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 01:32:12 PM »
If you can get on, I would highly recommend getting out to Paramount Country Club (formerly Dellwood CC).  It was my surprise course of 2011 - a relatively unknown Tillinghast design currently undergoing a restoration by Jim Urbina, with involvement by several GCAers (Steve Lapper, Steve Scott & Brian Chapin).

Unfortunately, I'm not sure of the status of the course following Superstorm Sandy or if it would be ready for play in April.

Here are a few links to past discussions:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,47651.0.html

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,53878.0.html

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49635.0.html

B.Ross

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 02:57:28 PM »
as some1 who grew up in NYC and went to college in bethlehem, i think i can provide quite a bit of input to this thread:

West of the city (Jersey): first i detest morgan hill, i think it's rinky dink and tricked up, so apologies to those who like it but i whole heartedly disagree and wonder what you like about it.  really none of those courses out 78 besides architect are worth the drive from NYC .... hominy hill is a typical RTJ but its very challenging and enjoyable, i  would recommend that along w/ heron glen, architects and then berkshire/flanders/sunset valley... also i should note i never played harkers hollow but anyplace that used to be private is probably worth playing.  additionally, bally owen and wild turkey are worth playing.   i agree with those who said Knoll West should be played too.  last 1 for jersey and although its more than 1.5 hrs away, atlantic city country club is spectacular IMO and worth the trip. such an awesome design along w/ the views and its cheap this time of the year when still cold.

on the island: besides the black and red, i would call montauk downs the real only must play, although its arguably more than 1.5 hrs from NYC. tallgrass is nice and Lido can be fun (Despite the bad conditions) but youre life won't be altered by missing out on either.

north of the city: spook rock is great and i would say its worth playing. i enjoy split rock, the city course more than most too.  the links at union vale is a good play too, and in CT if you can get onto yale i would. also, richter park in danbury and pete dye's pound ridge (NY) are great.  mansion ridge is good but not as good as these, same could be said for patriot hills. west point is a good sporting track too.

hope this helps and curious to hear others thoughts on my critiques

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 03:14:11 PM »
Maybe some of our GCA brethren can extend a hand.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 03:27:25 PM »
Especially any RCP members, Mark keeps a low profile but has been a member since he was a kid.

Mark any UK plans yet or still early doors?
Cave Nil Vino

SteveOgulukian

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 03:42:56 PM »
I can only offer advice for courses on Long Island.

The best course which is closer to the city (other than the Bethpage tracks) is Harbor Links.  It's overpriced for non-residents however.  Further out on the island the best you'll find are Hamlet Willow Creek, Tallgrass, Great Rock, and Long Island National.  Montauk downs is too far.  It would be over 2 hours from the city even if you're the only one on the road.

Let me know if you're looking for a game.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 03:43:03 PM »
as some1 who grew up in NYC and went to college in bethlehem,

Lehigh or Moravian?

Mark Woodger

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 03:54:34 PM »
many thanks for the info so far gents. this is very helpful. When i know approximate plans i will reach out to those who may be interested in a game during the week.

No exact plans yet Mark,  but expect i will be back permanently by the end of the year if things progress as expected. I may have a trip or two before then and if there is time for golf I will certainly be in touch.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 06:27:14 PM »
If you drive real fast, you can get to LuLu.  Simply delightful.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 06:39:41 PM »
Mark lives in Manhattan 16.5mph is fast!

Make sure you let me know if you are over as I'm now living in Deal.
Cave Nil Vino

Chris Wegner

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 09:29:02 PM »
Mark,

Having been a golf professional at a few of the courses mentioned here's my two cents.

I enjoyed my 3+ years as golf professional at Architects, it's a neat story and reading the signs on each tee box is part of the journey....good track worth the drive from NYC.  I am not a fan of Morgan Hill even though my townhouse overlooks one of the greens.  Harkers Hollow is a neat layout but play it early in the season as the conditioning under new ownership is depressing.  Harkers and Architects are two minutes apart.

Heading in another direction down the parkway try Suneagles this course which snagged me for two years is owned by the US Army and is part of the now mothballed Fort Monmouth.  It's a real Tillinghast gem off exit 105, and the site of Byron Nelson's first professional win.  Being run as a public for another 18 months before it's sold to the highest bidder and who know what happens then.  Old Orchard is nearby but forgetable.  Old Orchard may soon be bulldozed and turned into housing and retail, so you may want to go play it before it's gone.  Hominy Hill is also within 20 minutes and is a very worthy track, plus the drive past exclusives like Due Process and Trump Colts Neck makes for some interesting views.

Royce Brook Golf Club is a interesting 36 hole facility and Smyers design, five years there as an assistant I am biased but the private West course is a fun round of golf, thankfully they returned to the original routing as it's much more enjoyable.  Bad prior management removed about 10 bunkers on the current holes 10-16 that should have really stayed including a great cross bunker on # 15.  The public course is a fun track if your playing a scramble with lots of risk reward holes, but try to get upgraded to the West.

and now to Joe's comments...suck it up drive the almost 2 hours and visit me at Lu Lu Country Club.  I am learning the area but a morning at Lu Lu and late afternoon at say Heron Glen in Jersey on your way back to the city just might have you driving back the next day to do it all over again.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 09:45:39 PM »
Mark lives in Manhattan 16.5mph is fast!

London is 9.3 mph:

http://quickrelease.tv/?p=230

Bill Crane

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 01:03:54 PM »
Mark:

If you are interested in dropping down to a private club and getting here early, I could probably find you a spot on a Saturday with my regular group, or a Sunday afternoon at Springdale G C in Princeton.  Springdale is a charming, old golf course founded in 1895 and re-designed in 1926 by William Flynn whose best courses are  Shinnecock, Cherry Hills, the Cascades course at Homestead, Kittansett, Lancaster etc. etc.  We still have 17 original Flynn greens and Princeton is one of the nicest suburban towns in the tri state area with Princeton University, the Institute for Advance Study, Princeton Theological Seminary, Morven the Governors mansion, etc, etc,  and quite an international population.

The course itself has British feel to it with half the course bordered by the University and Seminary Buildings including Cleveland Tower -(P U Graduate College)  hovering over the course and providing the symbol of the club.  See GCAer Joe Bausch's pictures:   

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/Springdale/index.html

PM me if interested.   You can also take the train here from NYC.

You should consider driving 2 hours to Atlantic City Country Club - the best public course in the state and in a great setting.  Makefield Highlands in Pennsylvania near Princeton another good bet.  Royce Brook is a solid parkland track.

On a rogue note, MOST private clubs are looking for members, and if you happen to be moving to the area, and looking to join a club you could probably play many private clubs on a trial basis after meeting the Membership Chair or Manager (Wink wink, nudge, nudge, say no more, say no more).

B.Ross

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 02:57:04 PM »

Lehigh or Moravian?

I went to Lehigh

Lenny Polakoff

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 06:13:56 PM »
If you can get on, I would highly recommend getting out to Paramount Country Club (formerly Dellwood CC).  It was my surprise course of 2011 - a relatively unknown Tillinghast design currently undergoing a restoration by Jim Urbina, with involvement by several GCAers (Steve Lapper, Steve Scott & Brian Chapin).

Unfortunately, I'm not sure of the status of the course following Superstorm Sandy or if it would be ready for play in April.

Here are a few links to past discussions:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,47651.0.html

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,53878.0.html

PM me if you do want to play Paramount,  depending what day I can get you in one of our games so you don't have to play alone.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49635.0.html

Jon Byron

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2013, 08:31:10 PM »
In NJ Architects and Neshanic Valley are worthwhile
In NY state the Links at Union Vale is good stuff
Yale GC also
Are you a walker yes?
Haven't played since yesterday, not playing until tomorrow, hardly playing at all!

Mark Woodger

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 09:38:33 AM »
yes very much a walker. i use a push cart but i love the walk. gives me a couple of minutes to get over each poor shot! ;D ;D

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2013, 09:58:08 AM »
GCAer Tony Pioppi sings the praises regularly of Pelham/Split Rock--especially the latter of those two.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mark McKeever

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 10:37:40 AM »

Lehigh or Moravian?

I went to Lehigh

Nice!  I live on New Street on the North side of Bethlehem.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back