News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carson Pilcher

Re: Short Par Threes: What's Your ... ?
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2013, 09:43:17 PM »
Settindown Creek #7.  Not quite an all or nothing, but close.  If you miss the green, it then becomes all or nothing.  You will have to hit a miraculous chip shot to get up and down.  However, hit the proper shot off the tee, and birdie is an option.

http://www.ansleygolfclub.org/course-tour-settindown/no-7.html

Chuck Glowacki

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2013, 03:48:24 AM »
#10 - Friar's Head

Cristian

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2013, 05:01:27 AM »
Pancake Hilversumsche 14. 120 yds, Green sneekily sloping front to back.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2013, 05:11:13 AM »
If it had the good fortune of being the 12th hole of the Masters, it would easily be as celebrated as Golden Bell, and made its own worthy center for Amen Corner...

If it were to be sited on the ocean bluffs, like the 7th at Pebble, it would be the world's most ferocious short hole...

If it were nestled among the linksy dunes of West Scotland, the Postage Stamp would be the second best short 3 at Troon...

As it is, it is the finest, most beguiling par 3 on the property where the specimens of such things are of a high order. A short knock over a pleasant sunken valley to a volcanic green shaped like a Volkswagen Beetle, with the mother of all false fronts in its grill.

I gave you #13 on Winged Foot East - "Cameo" 141 yards, the shortest Par 5 in God's creation, where I once saw "6" halve the hole between four sober single-digit handicaps.  When the wind's up, the green is fast and the pin is front left, it's a "2 or 20" hole.

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2013, 05:18:40 AM »
 8 at Ballybunion.
 I note others have picked many fine ones I have been lucky enough to play. 4 at Gulph Miills, 11 at Hidden Creek, 13 at Merion all fantastic short gems. Another great  shorty is the 8th hole at Manufacturers Golf Club in Fort Washington PA. The green is set in an old quarry.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2013, 05:41:27 AM »
A couple more from England -

8th at Broadway 128 yds - http://www.broadwaygolfclub.co.uk/course/hole8.php - don't miss short, left or long

10th at Beau Desert - 140 yds - http://www.bdgc.co.uk/image_gallery_10th.htm - don't get above the pin

5th at Saunton East - 122 yds - http://www.sauntongolf.co.uk/east_5 - tiddler, just don't miss

All the best

Thomas Dai

« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2013, 05:46:07 AM »
Forgot to add the 5th at Copt Heath, England - 132 yds - http://www.coptheathgolf.co.uk/coursemap

All the best

Matthew Rose

« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2013, 05:48:38 AM »
I'll second #9 at Commonwealth, where another sober single-digit handicapper once took an X after playing bunker ping-pong.

For pure muni fun, #12 at Riverside in Janesville, WI. 108 from the blues, 96 from the whites and a giant oak tree hangs over the left half of the green waiting to redirect your slightly thinned wedge into a large gully.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Tom Kelly

« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2013, 08:36:04 AM »
I'd agree with the 9th at Commonwealth and the 10th at Kingston Heath (although I didn't play it, it looked like a great hole.)

I will add the 7th at Sherwood Forest, one of my favourite par 3's anywhere.

http://www.sherwoodforestgolfclub.co.uk/sherwood-forest-golf-hole-layout/hole-7

Paul Gray

« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2013, 09:26:59 AM »
Not the greatest of pictures, but I've long thought the 3rd at Liphook is often overlooked. Actually think it plays better from the yellow tees to the right at just 116 yards.

Liphook, 3rd Hole, 139 Yards:

In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Jud_T

« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2013, 09:45:15 AM »

Jud T...I'll have to speak with KLynch...he's the key to the beast.

7 hours 43 minutes on Mapquest....just sayin'......

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 05:57:11 PM by Jud T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Greg Tallman

« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2013, 05:48:04 PM »
#7 Cabo del Sol - Ocean
Black -139
Gold - 132
Blue - 123
White - 111
Red - 99

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2013, 05:53:13 PM »
#10 - Friar's Head

#10 at FH a short par-3?  I recall hitting a 4-iron.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2013, 07:52:17 PM »
The 6th hole at Copper Creek is very good - 113 yards from the blues, a very elevated and protected/bunkered green, coming after a long Par 4 (if I remember correctly), it throws you off yet should be easy enough -- but I've never seen a birdie made there and pars are rare too. All around a neat hole. Expensive country club for a day type course, Ron, but when you're next up Toronto way, I think you'd like it.

I'm going to take credit for that one Peter. Doug was away during the cnstruction of the 5th, 6th and 7th. There were issues caused by the approvals process and the hole had to get 40 yards shorter (7th tee had to move right) and the green got a whole lot wilder. I loved the hole a lot more than Doug did, I guess it was a yardage issue for him - too short.

Green is small and has a lot of contour. The hole has a lot of elevation.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2013, 08:18:42 PM »
Ha! That's wonderful Ian, and very instructive -- thanks much for chiming in.  (I was going to mention you in my original post, but assumed -- wrongly -- that you had gone off on your own by the time Copper Creek was built.)  It's instructive to me because it immediately becomes the clearest, on-the-ground example that I know of how different architects manifest their differences in philosophy/ethos in sometimes very subtle ways. That stretch of holes is very good, and yet they fit into the rest of the course well, and if you asked me to explain why the stretch stands out I don't think I could've told you. But so many little things: the length (unusually short), the wide but heavily contoured green (which I didn't mention in my first post), the amount of elevation for that short a hole (especially after the long downhill 5th)....all those things taken in isolation/separately are elements that you, or Doug, or many other designers would and have used...but all together like that, coming where the hole does in that stretch...well, that is much more a 'unique' stamp, i.e yours.  

Peter
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 08:32:16 PM by PPallotta »

Jeff Bertch

« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2013, 09:15:21 PM »
Wolf Run Golf Club #16
145/130 yards

Steve Smyers postage stamp 3 par. Tee shot played from a ridge 20+ feet above the putting surface. One of the scariest tee shots I've ever played (the "don't go left" chip 9 iron). Golfer can use the bank on the right side of the green to funnel shots towards the pin. I've seen plenty of near aces as well as doubles.

you know...a caddie, a looper, a jock

Bob_Garvelink

« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2013, 09:19:08 PM »
138 from the blues.  Anything from birdie to X is possible...

First time I played this hole pin was on the right side.  Instead of just aiming for the middle I fired right at it and ended up in the lower bowl.  Lets just say I picked up after hitting it in a few traps :)
"Pure Michigan"

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2013, 10:03:55 PM »
Wolf Run Golf Club #16
145/130 yards

Not a putting green, but a welcome mat.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Kerry Gray

« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2013, 01:13:05 AM »
The 6th hole at Copper Creek is very good - 113 yards from the blues, a very elevated and protected/bunkered green, coming after a long Par 4 (if I remember correctly), it throws you off yet should be easy enough -- but I've never seen a birdie made there and pars are rare too. All around a neat hole. Expensive country club for a day type course, Ron, but when you're next up Toronto way, I think you'd like it.

I'm going to take credit for that one Peter. Doug was away during the cnstruction of the 5th, 6th and 7th. There were issues caused by the approvals process and the hole had to get 40 yards shorter (7th tee had to move right) and the green got a whole lot wilder. I loved the hole a lot more than Doug did, I guess it was a yardage issue for him - too short.

Green is small and has a lot of contour. The hole has a lot of elevation.

Ian,
I was surprised to see that hole the first time I saw the course. I agree the contours are great, very few easy putts. It is also uphill which i like to see occassionally.
Speaking of Toronto area, Scarboro's 11th is a gem IMHO (Tilly). Fantastic green as well. But for me the best in GTA is Lakeviews #17 by Herbert Strong. It has been made somewhat easier with bunker removal but even today it is simply tough. No more than 120 yards. Wish they would restore/renovate that club, it could use some tree removal at least.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 01:14:44 AM by Kerry Gray »

Chuck Glowacki

« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2013, 08:31:04 AM »
#10 - Friar's Head

#10 at FH a short par-3?  I recall hitting a 4-iron.
You are right Mark, it's not a "short" hole just seems that way since the green is SO big

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2013, 12:48:18 PM »
That GW slideshow included Ventana Canyon's third which is pretty good as extremely penal holes go.

I also like #9 at WeKoPa Saguaro, slightly uphill, to a small green that falls off severely to bunkers. Miss the green and you can make a big number.

But you can find good ones at entirely unremarkable courses. The 100 yard 12th at Peoria AZ's Coyote Lakes is a wonderful little hole. The green is on the large side but has a few different sections that play as independently small greens. Back left brings the pond just over the green into mind. Back right is go zone, but it's a small target. Front brings a pot bunker and devilish chipping area into play. Wonderful hole mired on a residential/retirement course.

Greg Taylor

« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2013, 09:07:55 AM »
I'll throw one in... second at Sutton Coldfield, 132 yards FWIW.

Jud_T

« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2013, 11:59:41 AM »
The 12th at Shoreacres, a 127 yard classic drop shot hole, should certainly be in the discussion:

(from Ran's profile):

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2013, 03:01:38 PM »
There are not many hidden gems left as most of them have been identified on this site.  One course that has only been mentioned very occasionally, however, is Norwich golf course in Connecticut.  The current course was designed in 1925 by Tull with plans reviewed by Travis.  In its own way it is typical New England quirk. Well worth a play.

The 13th is a 110 yard uphill par three.  The green is essentially blind and small. Wonderful short part three. Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures. If someone does please feel free to post.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back